Sailor Moon's animation-has it aged well?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jermyn
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Sailor Moon's animation-has it aged well?

Post by Jermyn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:08 pm

What does everyone here think of the animation of the series? Would you say that it still looks good despite it's age? I'd say that a majority of episodes in the R, S, SuperS and Stars seasons as well as the three movies are still very beautiful looking even today. Only the first season really shows its age of being made in the early 90s and even then it really isn't that terrible and still hadsome very nice looking episode such as the final three (44-46) of the season.

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:20 am

I believe it has, yes.
Considering the crap they produce today, Sailor Moon is a lot more fluid and prettier. I consider Stars being the weakest when it comes to the animation, the older series were at least on par with what came out during those years, while Stars looked a lot worse than the competition in 1996.^^

I enjoy a lot of the animation/drawing in R, especially episode 68 with "Ai No Senshi", everything is so fluid and everyones eyes are so expressive. ^_^

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am

For the most part I think that it has held up very well, and I even think it better than some of the stuff today. Back then everything was drawn by hand so they obviously love what they were doing and it shows in there work, but with the use of computers today I think it has lost some of that uniqueness.
_Alexander_ wrote:I consider Stars being the weakest when it comes to the animation, the older series were at least on par with what came out during those years, while Stars looked a lot worse than the competition in 1996.^^
I personnel like the animation in Stars, I think it fit with style of the season.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:26 pm

I think it depends. Compared to some American cartoons from the early 90s like X-men TAS and Batman TAS, I think Sailor Moon's animation is dated. In comparison to other anime from the same time period though, I think Sailor Moon has aged decently enough. Some seasons have better animation than others, like I love the animation in the later seasons a lot, but the animation in the first season is mediocre at best. Also, sometimes it feels like they use too much recycled footage just to be either cheap or to fill in a half hour. Basically, I think that when Sailor Moon's animation is crappy, it's really obvious that it is and the animation errors are glaringly obvious, but when it's impressive, it's really beautiful and makes all the hard work worth it.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:43 pm

I would say the animation looks pretty good. Especially S and SuperS, Stars was on and off for me, some episodes were done well but others were just...blah! I like SuperS the most when it comes to animation (although I really don't like it plot wise), mainly because of the bright colors, I love bright colors :D R also had some good animation, especially when it came to battle scenes. Classic has okay animation.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 pm

Overall I really like the animation, but there were some animators that I wasn't pleased with. I agree about the uniqueness since it was done by hand. For the most part I really like the animation in Stars, but once in a while there was some suckishness, and I'm sure it was all from the same animator.

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:07 pm

It depends on whoever did the episode, I think. You can really tell the drawing styles apart if you look closely. There's this one "artist" whose style is just plain AWFUL :? (episode 71, for example). The best one IMO is whoever drew episode 86, 99 and a few others.
SuperS's animation is generally the best, really detailed and nice character designs. Stars looks really weird sometimes.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:07 am

As far as animation goes, no it hasn't. The animation is typical for a 90's series. Cheap lip-flips, cheap techniques (animating only one body part), reused footage, etc.

Art-wise however, I think it's aged quite well. They were some excellent artists who worked on Sailor Moon. Even if the animation is low-budget, the episodes themselves still looked pretty.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:39 pm

Other than SuperS not really. But on the bright side Sailor Moon (like all cartoons in the 90's) is far better designed and easier on the eyes then most cartoons now a days.