Identities: Sailor Moon and the Starlights

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Identities: Sailor Moon and the Starlights

Post by Jonathan » Sun May 25, 2008 12:02 am

I'm rewatching the Sailor Moon Stars season, and there have been many times where there have been obvious links to their secret identity.

There are a couple of examples but the one that sticks out to me the most is episode 178 - Luna Saw it! The true idol Yaten.

[spoiler]When the senshi are fighting against the Phage, Sailor Star Healer says: I'll help you only for the sake of that little cat.
Then Sailor Moon says: Little cat? You mean Luna?
Sailor Star Healer: Luna? That's a good name...

The very next day, Usagi is lookin at Yaten throwing away his fanmail or something, then he turns around and asks her is that your cat? And she says yes.[/spoiler]

This is where I started thinking: Either Yaten is really dumb or just refuses to put two and two together. He has to realize then and there that Luna must be some kind of connection between Usagi and Sailor Moon, but rather than analyzing it, he just walks off.

There are more examples, but ill have to look into it another day. What do you guys think about this?
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

smfan423
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by smfan423 » Sun May 25, 2008 2:37 am

Hmm...creative license by the writers maybe...I still haven't watched stars yet, so I can't comment much. :(

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:42 pm

I always figured that it just never registered in his brain. He was on another mission, after all, and figuring out Sailor Moon's true identity was not a priority of theirs. It's equally possible that it's just something the writers missed somehow when they were making this episode.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue May 27, 2008 3:34 am

I'm gonna have to partly agree with Jupiter23. Yaten isn't activly searching for Sailor Moon. At this point, she's still a pest in his book. So he's not really going to care who she is in reality. Luna herself is more interesting to him and the fact that Luna belongs to Usagi is really all that even remotely matters for a brief moment. And besides, he's more concerned with idol stuff and his mission for their princess. With all the trouble he goes through to avoid letters, whose got the energy to think about the connections a cat has?

No, I really don't believe this was an oversight by the writers. You have to remember that in the manga, this all goes extremely fast and the there's a whole lot not even touched on in the anime. Most likely these little unnoticed details by the characters are to lengthen out the plot until the final revelation. If this is done too early, it defeats the purpose and then we can't get to know the Starlights as well as we get to when it's all played out.

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am

I agree with you DreamEmpress. I just wish all the connections weren't so painfully obvious, especially all of episode 184.

Even though it wasn't the Starlights' priority to find out who the senshi were, I think after some time they were curious. If they wanted to lead up to a big revelation, I think they could have handled it better, like the big revelation between Haruka, Michiru, and Usagi in Sailor Moon S.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue May 27, 2008 4:45 pm

I agree. A lot of things were far too obvious and it would have been a lot better if they had tried a bit harder. But then again, Stars wouldn't have turned out nearly as funny.

[spoiler]take ep. 184 All the senshi are in the same house trying to fight off the phage. They are trying to find places to transform without the others seeing. I never laughed so hard. Plainly obvious who they all were, but still over looked.[/spoiler]

And when you're only working with bits and pieces of the original storyline, it's hard to be creative for half or better of a season of filler type stuff. So you stretch a point as thin as you can. I still think they should have keep more, it would have made things flow easier.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue May 27, 2008 4:45 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:I'm gonna have to partly agree with Jupiter23. Yaten isn't activly searching for Sailor Moon. At this point, she's still a pest in his book. So he's not really going to care who she is in reality. Luna herself is more interesting to him and the fact that Luna belongs to Usagi is really all that even remotely matters for a brief moment. And besides, he's more concerned with idol stuff and his mission for their princess. With all the trouble he goes through to avoid letters, whose got the energy to think about the connections a cat has?
But then later in the season, [spoiler]the Starlights already knew who the Outers' secret identities were when they revealed it to them. Of course it could be possible that the Starlights saw the Outers as a bigger concern than Usagi[/spoiler], but I think it most likely was an oversight myself. The anime is inconsistent with its plot in other areas, especially in Sailor Stars, and this was mostly a filler-in episode, so I think it's likely that the writers might not have put as much thought in keeping things consistent in what was mostly an unimportant episode anyway.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Wed May 28, 2008 10:03 am

I probably say it just an oversite, with so many people working on one thing it probably can get pretty hectic and it most likely just fell throught the cracks
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.