What do Christians think about this series?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Garland
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

What do Christians think about this series?

Post by Garland » Wed May 14, 2008 6:39 pm

Greetings. I have a question for all of you, & I'm sorry if this has been done before, or if it offends you. I do believe this is a fanastic anime, but I am pondering this question: Is it wrong for an Christian to see Japanese anime like this? I'm quite sure that it isn't. I'm a baptist, & some people were putting thoughts into my head that it's bad to watch it, but I don't think so. I usually don't let anything that I watch or play video games with of any kind interfere with my beliefs. They're just games, & anime. They're not real, & it's not like I'm going to do anything awful! The girls never use magic, & there's good Vs. evil involved. That's why I'm asking this question. Thanks!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Anime is no different than a regular cartoon. "Anime" is simply the word used to describe cartoons in Japanese, drawn in a specific style adopted by several Asian artists.

It's no different than turning on the TV, and watching many american cartoons shown daily. Just as there are different degrees of cartoons (Family Guy, for example, is nowhere close to Scooby Doo), there are different degrees of Anime (just as Sailor Moon is nowhere close to La Blue Girl).

Really, I don't quite understand why anime would somehow be "bad" for Christians, or the reasoning behind why people would tell you that. There are plenty of Christians on these forums who watch and enjoy anime.

..And you're 25 years old. You're a big boy. Can't you decide for yourself what you enjoy watching? It isn't as though you're a child.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:10 pm

I think almost everyone on this board is going to have the same response here. The only reason those people find anything wrong with it at all is because it wasn't made in the United States (and if any of them want to lecture you on watching anime, then stop them by asking them what they watch when they watch TV. I'm sure that this will shut them up really quick) and the characters aren't "Christian." So in a word, there is nothing wrong at all with you watching or playing whatever you want.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu May 15, 2008 4:15 am

Okayyyy....my first reaction is what the ....

I can kind of see where this question is coming from. The Christian community can be a bit strict when it comes to thoughts and feelings on what you see, read and experience. Or more to the point, a bit judgemental..... Still, in the end, these are only guidelines to help you make your own choices.

Now personally, I love Sailor Moon and other anime. It's something I enjoy watching and is very relaxing after the stresses of the day. I see nothing wrong with it. If anything it has great insight into a lot of important issues. A lot more than many of the cartoons you see in the US in the last 10 years.

But in the long run, you need to decide for yourself what is right. no one else can make that call for you. And just remember that if you only listen to what other people think, in the end you'll never like anything for yourself because you'll always be sure to upset someone.

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Thu May 15, 2008 3:38 pm

I went through something of that very nature but I went to a Church of God (pentecostal). And I remember having the same thing being thrown at me as well. And I remember having the same doubts about watching anime, playing video games, and also listening to the music (well, any kind of music that wasn't christian).

I'm not gonna break it all down for you what happened to me (it'll take too long), but I can say that I understand your dilemma because the problem is is that you ARE doing something that you enjoy and that can cause a problem if you're spending too much time with it and not leaving any alone time with God. I should know.

Do what you think is going to be pleasing to God, not other people, even if they are very spiritually mature. But, pray about it. And continue to pray about it until you get your answer. For me, I received more conviction from the people at church than I did in my spirit. And soon discovered that I was trying to please them and not God. And I want to be pleasing, not because He'll bring down fire and wrath upon my head (meaning not to keep Him calm and pacified), but because I love Him and He loves me and I, repeat I, want too.

I think that a lot of Christians forget that and also forget that God loves the world (John 3:15); not just what we do here in America. We are not the standard that should be followed by other countries although, sometimes we think that....heathen world that doesn't speak English is evil.... And, to be honest, from one Christian to another, what we do in America (church and some of our ideals) is peanuts compared to the awesome things that are going on in the world by true lovers of Christ. But I won't get started on that.
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu May 15, 2008 4:50 pm

The bible says to judge not lest thee be judged and if other people want to judge you just because you watch a show they don't like, remind them that the scriptures say to pick the shard out of their own eyes before they pick the shards out of others. They don't have the right to judge others because they're not perfect, either. And honestly, is the mature content in Sailor Moon any different than the content in the bible? The bible contains violence too and even sex yet you don't see people getting hung up on it too much when it comes to the scriptures yet suddenly innocent kid's shows are off limits. Sailor Moon is meant to be fictional and I've never met anyone who was lead into temptation or whatever solely because of a work of fiction.

Ask these Christians what they're so afraid of or if their faith is so weak that they'll be lead into temptation because of something they saw in a fictional show. Also, don't forget that even in Japan, Sailor Moon is considered to be a kid's show and yet Japanese kids grow up to be no different than anyone else. If Japanese kids can handle watching Sailor Moon, then adults shouldn't have a problem with it, either. Also, ask them where in the bible Jesus was ever concerned with what people read or watched for amusement. Jesus never said anything about enjoying fictional works being sinful, so wouldn't that mean the issue was unimportant to Jesus or wouldn't he have said something about it during his ministry? Surely wouldn't God have more important things to deal with than what people watch on TV?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun May 25, 2008 5:22 pm

I do not think it's wrong to watch SM or any other anime. I agree, that I have been bashed before of what I read, watch, or even if I'm not following some traditional stuff (i.e. this year, I didn't really give up anything for Lent and my cousin bashed me and told me that I was going to hell), if people tell me this, I just simply ignore them and that what I do is none of their business.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 am

I can understand some of the arguments that might be thrown at a young Christan person about Anime.

1) Its use of magic.

2)Its focus on more mature themes.

3) Its level of violence.

4) Its level of sexuality.

All this seems to be aimed at children, and many feel that it is wrong. Personally I think they are being two uptight. Many times these are the same people that believed reading Harry Potter would turn kids to the Dark Arts, or that playing GTA makes kids turn into criminals.

I don't think children that grow up in a proper family environment are so weak minded as to be influenced so dramatically by media.

I say let the kids watch more Anime, many times its better then half the schlock that passes for TV now a days.

As for Sailor Moon specifically: If 6 year old Japanese girls can handle it, I think a 25 year old American man can handle it.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Gamer8585 wrote:I
I say let the kids watch more Anime, many times its better then half the schlock that passes for TV now a days.
Well said Gamer8585.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 am

I'm a Christian and I view the show for entertainment purposes. What I watch on t.v doesn't influence my actions so I have no problem with it.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 am

I'm not a very religious person but I'm going to try and empathise with you the best I can. I understand that some religions can be very forceful and strict with their views but remember, it's not necessarily the Bible that is telling you these things but those who interpret the Bible. Make up your own interpretation to suit you after all God is supposed to love everyone right? I'm sure he's not going to send you to eternal damnation for watching a cartoon. Your not murdering anybody or stealing so just sit back and enjoy it.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:38 pm

I for the most part try to live by the philosophy of I like what I like, and ignore what other might think. So just follow your heart and do what you believe is the right thing, and just ignore those who try to manipulate you.
Last edited by Jamesares on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailor_moon_R » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:49 pm

*Eternal Moon* wrote:I'm a Christian and I view the show for entertainment purposes. What I watch on t.v doesn't influence my actions so I have no problem with it.
Jus like *Eternal Moon* said, I am also a Christian, and it is just a cartoon, or anime, or whatever. There are some things that my religio teacher will not like about it, but it isn't rea, so there is nothing wrong with this t.v show:)
My favourite Cardcaptor Sakura quote *contains spoilers*:

Sakura: I love you Yukito-san!
Yukito: I love you too, but the one you love most isn''t me.
Sakura: *looks confused*
Yukito: You love your father right?
Sakura: Yes.
Yukito: And what about me?
Sakura: I love you.
Yukito: Aren''t the feelings quite similar?
Sakura: *realizes* They are. You have known for awhile haven''t you?
Yukito: Yes, you have always loved me as if I were a part of your family and I am grateful for that.
Sakura: Is there someone you love?
Yukito: Yes
Sakura: Is it..brother? (Touya)
Yukito: *eyes widen and then he smiles* Yes, I don''''t know what I would do without Toya. He made sure I didn''''t disappear.
Sakura: I''m sure he loves you too! He did everything to make sure you didn''t disappear! But if brother ever does anything to hurt my dearest Yukito-san, I will teacher him a lesson!
Yukito: *puts hand on her cheek* Thank you, Sakura-chan. When you find the one you love, if he ever hurts you, I will teach him a lesson.