Why Do So Many Fans Like My Only Love?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Why Do So Many Fans Like My Only Love?

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:09 am

Why is it that there are so many Sailor Moon fans who love the dub song, My Only Love? It seems like even most sub fans agree that it's the best song Dic ever had (though, personally, I think The Power Of Love was a better song myself). I just don't understand the appeal of this song. The lyrics hardly fit the scene used in it at all. The lyrics claim that Serena and Darien have loved each other from the start of the series and that they knew it all along when they didn't. In fact, they hated each other's guts and didn't start to respect each other just a little bit until just a few episodes before. Even as a standalone song, My Only Love just feels really cheesy and cliche to me. All it is is just the same lyrics and tune repeated over and over again. The only notable part of the song I can think of is the guiatar riff, but even then it's a rather cliched guiatar riff if you ask me. Maybe I've just gotten burned out on this song over the years, but I just don't see what the appeal of this song is, so why do so many people like it?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:52 am

Whatever happened to liking a song just because you like it?

There are a ton of songs to me that make no sense in terms of lyrics or bad compositions/arrangements/production , but people like it because they do. Taking into example a song by Sara Bareilles called, "Love Song". Have you ever read how completely stupid the lyrics are? Yet that was her debut song and a lot of people seemed to like it (even though I feel that other songs on her album were much better). And I admit... even though the lyrics are stupid in my opinion, the tune is up beat and catchy. I don't like it, but to each their own.

In my own opinion, it boils down to personal taste. To me I'll like something because I like it. It could be the cheesiest, most cliche song to have ever been produced, but I'll listen to it because I like it.

::edit:: I hope I didn't come off as snippy. I just re-read it and I wanted you to know that I didn't mean to if I did.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Tempest wrote:Whatever happened to liking a song just because you like it?

There are a ton of songs to me that make no sense in terms of lyrics or bad compositions/arrangements/production , but people like it because they do. Taking into example a song by Sara Bareilles called, "Love Song". Have you ever read how completely stupid the lyrics are? Yet that was her debut song and a lot of people seemed to like it (even though I feel that other songs on her album were much better). And I admit... even though the lyrics are stupid in my opinion, the tune is up beat and catchy. I don't like it, but to each their own.

In my own opinion, it boils down to personal taste. To me I'll like something because I like it. It could be the cheesiest, most cliche song to have ever been produced, but I'll listen to it because I like it.

::edit:: I hope I didn't come off as snippy. I just re-read it and I wanted you to know that I didn't mean to if I did.
IAWTC.

No, I don't believe My Only Love was a good song for the show, or the scene, or that really any of the lyrics fit WTF was going on.

But by itself, on its own? It's not a terrible song. Cheesy, yes, but how many pop-y love songs aren't cheesy?

I have songs on my winamp playlist that would make someone look at me and go "WTF IS THIS SHIT?" becuase it completely doesn't seem like something i'd listen to. But sometimes, I like the brainless, stupid, and cheesy music that doesn't really match my "type" at all. I enjoy dancing to certain songs, or enjoy listening to them. There doesn't really have to be a reason, nor can I always explain why.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:38 pm

My only love was a pretty good song, and saying that it's Dic's best song isn't saying much considering they had about three good songs including My only love. But I noticed that some people go as far as saying it fits the scene better than Mabaroshi Ginzuishou did. But I disagree on that, the lyrics to the orignal song fit the scene much better and I thought that, that song was more sad.

And Tiff, sorry for getting off topic but what kind of music do you listen to? You always struck me as someone who listens to a bit of everything but then again I don't know you personally hell I barely know you on this forum so What the fuck do I know.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:18 pm

HighC wrote:
And Tiff, sorry for getting off topic but what kind of music do you listen to? You always struck me as someone who listens to a bit of everything but then again I don't know you personally hell I barely know you on this forum so What the fuck do I know.
I have a variety of tastes, but my main tastes are usually in the rock area (from soft to hard). I have everything from country to celtic to pop to classical to a bit of hip-hop on my playlist, though.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 pm

well in anime I have found that the lyrics of a song rarely match the scene or the show they are in. I mean the ending song to Devil Hunter Yoko talkes about terrorists or something.

I personally like that song, but I like the song where they fought Queen Beryl in the dub better then that. (though the sub song was better then that)
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:01 pm

On the topic of songs that don't fit the scene they're used in, that makes me think of Moonlight Densetsu used in the battle with Queen Beryl. I like the song, but for a battle scene it's a bad choice.

I always liked My Only Love, although I can't think of a specific reason why. I guess I like it just because I like it. Although, my favorite dub song would have to be The Power of Love. It's incredibly corny, and yet my brother and I used to jump and dance on our beds when we listened to it (although that was quite a few years ago). My brother always said that it made him picture an overweight woman jogging down the street with headphones on and listening to it. I have NO IDEA how he got that image, and it left me confused. Anyways, I like My Only Love....so there's my 2 cents.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:48 pm

sailorperkytoot123 wrote:On the topic of songs that don't fit the scene they're used in, that makes me think of Moonlight Densetsu used in the battle with Queen Beryl. I like the song, but for a battle scene it's a bad choice.
Well I think the reason they used it was to reflect on the whole series you know using the opening song for the final battle. Wasn't Toei's original plan to stop after the first series? But Carry On captures the scene much better in any case but I get why they used Moonlight Densetu

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Even though I don't quite agree with using Moonlight Densetsu for that scene, for some reason I didn't mind Sailor Star Song being used at the end of Stars (it also being a theme song). It's not really much of a battle song either but I was okay with it being used for that scene. Maybe because I just plain liked it more than Moonlight Densetsu, or maybe because that scene between Usagi and Galaxia wasn't really a battle, it was more of Usagi trying to reach out to Galaxia (both literally and figuratively) to save her from Chaos.

Anyways, back on topic, I just relistened to some of the DIC songs and the earlier songs, like My Only Love, sounded like the music was a lot more repetitive than later songs like The Power of Love. Even though I like My Only Love, when I compare them it almost seems boring. I think I like it just because of the feeling it gives me when I listen to it.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:32 pm

My Only Love is one of the best stand alone songs to me from the dub. it's just a really pretty song and I like hearing the melody. There's no real reason why I like it.

To be honest, I like a lot of the dub songs. Many of them are very good on their own. As part of a scene, not so much. But on their own, they are just fun to listen to.

Straying briefly off topic, as far as sub battle songs go I've always liked La Soldier and Ai No Senshi.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:39 pm

I'm probably in the minor here, I never liked 'My Only Love' not even when all I watched was the dub as a kid. I had the Sailor Moon soundtrack on cassette and every time that song would come, I would skip straight to the next one.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue May 06, 2008 7:21 am

I like the song, it has a good beat and I think they probably used it because in the scene Serena finds out she's princess Serenity therefore referencing the eternal love between her and prince Darien.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Thu May 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Well, when I first watched the series, I liked "My Only Love", but since I've watched the original version and then became more aware of other songs from all multitude of soundtracks, it does seem a bit, well, bad. And you're right, the only good part was maybe the instrumental, but definitely not the voice.

But like everyone else said it's personal tastes. I don't like it anymore because I've been exposed to, IMHO, songs of a higher caliber sung by the seiryuu. I'm sure Sailor Moon's dubbed voice sang the song, but, well, it just does impress me.
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!