German Dub Of Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

German Dub Of Sailor Moon

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:22 am

Somebody on youtube has uploaded an English fansub of the German dub of Sailor Moon: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f_TksWnL9Pk It's pretty interesting so far. Nothing has been cut from the actual episode and while there's a new opening and ending theme song, the BGM is the same and some of the names are different. I'm not really bothered though since only a few of the names are changed and the dialog for the rest of the episode is left the same. The only thing that sort of annoyed me was that they called Moon Tiara Action "Moonstone." I'm not so bothered when the dubs change the attack names but Moonstone just sounds stupid given that Usagi's attack doesn't even remotely resemble a stone. If you're going to change the name, at least change it to something that fits. So far I really like the German VAs, especially Usagi's which I thought was pretty cute although Queen Perillia's voice sounds kind of strange to me. Now I wonder if there's a fansub of the Italian dub of Sailor Stars. I've always been curious to see that just because of the bizarre way they censored the Starlights' gender bending. And now I also wonder if the rest of the German dub is available for download fansubbed anywhere. Since the video and audio quality seems to be better than ADV's DVDs, I wouldn't mind downloading it if it were, at least for the first two seasons.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:43 pm

I like the German dub except for the attacks, they all shout flieg (fly) or flieg on sieg (fly and win/prevail), but the voices are all right and at least they got all 200 episodes.

Anyway, since we are talking fansubs, here is a fansubbed episode of the Swedish dub, there is one more also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2h5FT39ouw
Usagi is renamed Annie, Minako is Arianne, Naru is Lima and Beryl is Morga. ^_^ But the rest is intact, most of the dialogue and the voices are good. The attack names are also different in Swedish, Supreme Thunder is "Lightning and Rumble" for example.

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:25 am

I'm German and I have very fond memories of the German SM dub, especially the first season. I love "Bunny's" voice. Sadly, it was changed after the first season and the second one is really annoying. :(
But the attack phrases are horrible, yes. Not only that, in the later seasons they also keep changing names randomly. And that godawful techno theme song... :lol:
What's interesting about the German dub ist that sexual themes and homosexuality barely ever got censored except in the first season (where they made Zoisite female), but the people who translated the later seasons had some MAJOR issues with the word "die". That was nearly always changed to "people suffering", "disappearing", "never be the same again" etc. :? So, Haruka and Michiru being lesbians =no problem, but them being willing to kill three people =BAD.
Oh yeah, and they kept nearly all of the Japanese names, but they kept getting mispronounced, sometimes in three or more different ways.

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:33 pm

I have watched some more German episodes on Youtube and they are pretty good.
I like most of the voices but I got to say that the monsters-of-the-day didn't have very fitting voices. One example is Reci in episode 51, her laugh creeped the hell out of me.
I don't really like the way they say Mamoru either. ^_^ Other than that, I like it.
I gotta ask, do you know if the German dub sped up the transformations a bit? Especially "Moon Prism Power Make-Up" sounded a lot more up-temp. Just something I notices every time I watch it.
I kinda like the first opening song of the German dub, though. But it didn't really fit as a Sailor Moon song at all. :D
There aren't that many dubs that kept the Kunzite and Zoisite relationship are there? Our (Swedish) version didn't but that was because they didn't hear it was a man and assumed it was a woman. A rather flat-chested woman.
What I like most about the German dub is that they kept the background music in the songs most of the time. They didn't keep the original singing, but sometimes dubbed the songs and sometimes just let the music play.
The Swedish dub removed all music except for "Tsukini kawatte oshoki yo" in episode 21. No music in episode 34, just a boring ending with sound effects. :( Not even Moonlight Densetsu in episode 46, they dubbed the opening song so they had the song but it was all silence. -_-

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:06 am

The theme song's music is not bad if you like Eurodance. But the text is really hilariously awful. :lol:
Sag das Zauberwort und du hast die Macht...blah blah
I'm not sure if the transformations are sped-up..I never noticed that.
I don't think any dubs kept Zoisite as a man. I think the Polish version did, but it wasn't dubbed, it had the original voices and a speaker in the background explaining what was going on.
One thing I didn't like is that they never changed the intro. In Sailorstars, you still saw old Beryl in the beginning.
One really stupid translation mistake: Nemesis was called "Menesis". Dyslexic scriptwriter? We'll never know...

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:05 am

rockable wrote: I think the Polish version did, but it wasn't dubbed, it had the original voices and a speaker in the background explaining what was going on.
o.O Are you serious?

EDIT: Joe and I just found it on YouTube..you ARE serious. My god. o_o Poor Poland. Do they do that to all imported cartoons/shows?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:04 pm

_Alexander_ wrote:.
I kinda like the first opening song of the German dub, though. But it didn't really fit as a Sailor Moon song at all. :D
I agree that I like the first German theme song of Sailor Moon. It had a cool techno pop sound to it but I agree that it's not a very Sailor Moonish song. But the German version of Sailor Stars Song is totally kickass. I think I actually like it better than the Japanese version actually: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SMAvpn3x-z8
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:05 pm

*nods* I'm quite fond of most of the German music.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Tiff wrote:
rockable wrote: I think the Polish version did, but it wasn't dubbed, it had the original voices and a speaker in the background explaining what was going on.
o.O Are you serious?

EDIT: Joe and I just found it on YouTube..you ARE serious. My god. o_o Poor Poland. Do they do that to all imported cartoons/shows?
Yes, they do. (at least when Sailor Moon came out, not sure if they still do it) It's common in small and relatively poor countries because it's even cheaper than subtitles.

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I agree that I like the first German theme song of Sailor Moon. It had a cool techno pop sound to it but I agree that it's not a very Sailor Moonish song. But the German version of Sailor Stars Song is totally kickass. I think I actually like it better than the Japanese version actually: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SMAvpn3x-z8
Hmm, nothing beats the original but it's still okay. It's just some words that doesn't fit with the music I think but at least you got Stars dubbed for Gods sake.
I studied German for 4 years in school but still only know the basics. :?

I can only imagine the Polish dub of episode 46.
"Sailor Moon is using her Moon Stick to defeat Queen Beryl and as you now can see her dead friends are lending her the power she needs to defeat her. -_-

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:20 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I liked it transposed, but sometimes the singer got flat, especially at the beginning and the final note, and it burned my ears for a couple seconds. And the parts of the rhythm that matched the animation got off so that was a bit annoying... But it was still really good. The singer has a really good voice. A much better, "change in language, same melody" theme song than the English dub.

I also watched the SuperS theme song in German. It was interesting. The music was really good but for some reason they added the outer senshi in the theme song even though none of them are in SuperS. It's so misleading! How could they do that to their fans?!

xD

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:48 am

The out of syncness of the video annoyed me too but I wasn't sure if it was the actual theme song that went out of sync or if youtube screwed it up when it was uploaded or something so I forgave them for that until it can be confirmed that it's always like that.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:31 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:The out of syncness of the video annoyed me too but I wasn't sure if it was the actual theme song that went out of sync or if youtube screwed it up when it was uploaded or something so I forgave them for that until it can be confirmed that it's always like that.
I noticed that, too, and it bothered me some ^^;

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:43 pm

SailorStarfire07 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I liked it transposed, but sometimes the singer got flat, especially at the beginning and the final note, and it burned my ears for a couple seconds. And the parts of the rhythm that matched the animation got off so that was a bit annoying... But it was still really good. The singer has a really good voice. A much better, "change in language, same melody" theme song than the English dub.

I also watched the SuperS theme song in German. It was interesting. The music was really good but for some reason they added the outer senshi in the theme song even though none of them are in SuperS. It's so misleading! How could they do that to their fans?!

xD
May I just ask you if the German Sailor Stars song were ever used as the opening theme ur just dubbed for episode 200?
Because like you said, Beryl is in the opening so this must be this one right? http://youtube.com/watch?v=Un_G-FP1ipk
If so, then too bad since the dubbed song is way better than the cheesy techno-like music they used all the time.

You can't really compare any singer to the ones whi sing the English opening (whatever their names are) because they have the most annoying voices ever.

I like the Portuguese opening a lot, the opening is Heart Moving instead of Moonlight Densetsu. Here it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRGHto7iQL8
So beautiful.
I find it really interesting to listen to different languages of Heart Moving, some suck and some are great. Some are translated great and some have new lyrics (like our dub in Sweden). It's nice. :wink:

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:58 pm

_Alexander_ wrote:
I like the Portuguese opening a lot, the opening is Heart Moving instead of Moonlight Densetsu. Here it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRGHto7iQL8
So beautiful.
I find it really interesting to listen to different languages of Heart Moving, some suck and some are great. Some are translated great and some have new lyrics (like our dub in Sweden). It's nice. :wink:
^^; Sorry, but that was horrid-sounding, imo. I'm not a huge fan of Heart Moving to begin with, but my god >_> that voice...just no.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Tiff wrote:
_Alexander_ wrote:
So beautiful.
^^; Sorry, but that was horrid-sounding, imo. I'm not a huge fan of Heart Moving to begin with, but my god >_> that voice...just no.
Really? I find the voice better than the original. ^_^ I don't understand a word that she's singing but her voice caught my attention immediately.
I love Heart Moving though, perfect song.
Then I guess you won't like the Swedish dub either? ^_^
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEsMNhd4OUg
The translated lyrics is in the info at the side.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:20 pm

_Alexander_ wrote: Then I guess you won't like the Swedish dub either? ^_^
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEsMNhd4OUg
The translated lyrics is in the info at the side.
Yeah, I have a copy of the swedish theme, and I don't care for it at all.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:31 pm

Heart Moving is probably my least favorite song in the entire series. I wasn't big on the Stars ending either, but I'm a sucker for the faster songs. While I was watching R, I would always sing Otome no Policy at random. Even if I have to replace some of the lyrics with, "Da da da da du da dum da dum." :D

I forgot to mention my opinion on the Swedish dub. It was good. I thought it was weird at first how they said, "Sailor Moon," mostly because I'm used to hearing, "Sera Mun." It was just funny how they said, "Sayler Mun" with more closed lips. We pronounce it the same way but more like, "SAI LOR MOON" ... I don't know. Don't mind me, I'm mostly thinking outloud. I also find it interesting that Usagi's name is Annie. I've never thought about the names other languages gave the characters. Sailor Moon was either Usagi or Serena up until I saw that video.
*~SailorStarfire07~*

"Robin, who is this girl? And why does she call you, ''''poo?''''"
~Starfire, Teen Titans

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:08 am

SailorStarfire07 wrote: I forgot to mention my opinion on the Swedish dub. It was good. I thought it was weird at first how they said, "Sailor Moon," mostly because I'm used to hearing, "Sera Mun." It was just funny how they said, "Sayler Mun" with more closed lips. We pronounce it the same way but more like, "SAI LOR MOON" ... I don't know. Don't mind me, I'm mostly thinking outloud. I also find it interesting that Usagi's name is Annie. I've never thought about the names other languages gave the characters. Sailor Moon was either Usagi or Serena up until I saw that video.
Yeah, we kinda pronounce it "Sayler Mun" here in Sweden, never really thought about it but it's true.
The only soldiers voice I don't like is Jupiter's. The actress was 51 years old when it wad dubbed and also played Ikuko, Haruna och Beryl. She did excellent as them but not as Mako. It was kinda weird to hear her talk about boys and giggle. -_-

And believe me, almost all Swedes are annoyed at the fact that she is named Annie. It does kind of suit her character though but ruins the plot a bit since the Black Moon only say "the little girl" instead of "rabbit" which makes it obvious that they talk about Chibi-Usa.
They also ruined "Odango Atama", it became "little tiny tot" -_-.
The worst thing is that they changed Chibi-Usa to "Chibusa". It makes no sense and they never explained the name. They just said "shall we call her Annie or Chibusa?", like there is even the smallest resemblance.

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:17 am

In the German dub, Odango Atama (or Odango) was translated in three different ways and none of them are even close to the original.
And I think that video is fan-made because as I said, we were stuck with the first-season intro for the entire series. And I THINK (not sure) that the German version of Sailor Star Song was only ever played in the episodes, not as the intro. We later got other intros than the techno theme that were also original and really, REALLY awful. So awful that I always plugged my ears during the intro when I watched the series and have no idea anymore what they were like. :lol: