Best Incarnation of Usagi?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat May 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Actually I've always felt maturity was a very approapriate word. Even Usagi in the anime stated in the R season how she would have ran and hid when there's trouble, but now she understands that she must face her fears. It was one of the most touching statements she made in the anime, IMO.

Yes, I do agree she got comfortable in her role, no matter what incarnation you refer to. But I've always felt that even though she got comfortable, she showed a lot of personal growth by gaining wisdom and learning to rely on her heart. To me, that is the definition of maturing. And even though it really only spans two or three years of her life, you can still see how she's taking the lessons she's learned and applying them. That's one of the reasons I love her in the manga so much. You can see this happening. She's not quite grown up yet, but the choices she makes seem to be wise far beyond her years. Learning to take action on her own and to make the tough calls like in the end of the Stars arc. Someone who isn't mature wouldn't have been able to handle half the choices she's made on her own.

Now this isn't to say that she's completely mature. Frankly, no one ever is. A part of us is always going to be childlike. Or childish, depending on the person. And the fact that she still has her childish flaws just indicates that she still has growing up to do on other levels. I can really relate to that alot. which is what makes me feel closer to her in the manga.

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Wed May 28, 2008 10:19 am

If I had to pick one I would have to say original Anime Usagi, while she can be a crybay, and in general very immature at time, when push comes to shove she is willing to put it all on the line to protect those she cares for.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Manga Usagi FTW

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:36 am

I like PGSM Usagi best by far. The actress is charming and cute and I just really like her characterization. She can actually fight capably on her own, but still has lots of funny moments. She seemed most like a normal, romantic and slighty hyper teenager here without being overly boycrazy and silly. Her interaction with her mom and brother is also very cute. I liked that she gradually fell in love with Mamoru and got over her rather shallow crush with Tuxedo Kamen quickly. I also found the idea that
[spoiler]Usagi and Princess Serenity are two completely different people[/spoiler] very interesting.

Manga Usagi is nice and all, but I disliked a bit that she was too much Naoko Takeuchi's wish fulfillment fantasy, which resulted in mushy scenes with Mamoru every three panels. Too much snogging.

I liked Anime Usagi at first, but I started to like her less and less as the series went on. Everybody fawns over her way too much because she is just so wonderful and literally the greatest person in the entire galaxy. :? Her character seemed kind of inconsistent in the later series. One episode, she bitched at Chibiusa about some stupid thing and made fun of the other girls for not having boyfriends and in the next one she acted like Mother Teresa :roll: , I just really disliked that.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:40 pm

yeah I can see what you mean about that. I used to get a little fed up on how every one fawned over Usagi too.
Manga Usagi is nice and all, but I disliked a bit that she was too much Naoko Takeuchi's wish fulfillment fantasy, which resulted in mushy scenes with Mamoru every three panels. Too much snogging.
I've never read the manga but some how I don't think I would mind that. I enjoy seeing tenderness and genuiane affection between two characters instead of alot of shallow sexual tension or needless arguing. And since Mamoru was a bit on the ambivilant side in the anime I would love too see a more romantic and loving Mamoru.

Even though PGSM was supposed to be closer to the manga in charactersation, I still thought that Mamoru was kind of a jerkin that medium too.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:46 pm

I actually truly prefered Mamoru and Usagi becoming closer. I think the worst part of the R anime was how he broke her heart by dumping her because of dreams he was having. Once Mamoru realized that Usagi was his princess and love from long ago I felt it was natural their love grow strong. As someone who gets tired of the constant love/hate break up to make up relationships some stories/tv shows drag out it was really refreshing to see them devoted to each other. I know that the age difference on the show made it hard to touch upon this. But in the manga Mamoru was 16 going on 17 to her 14 going on 15 if I read it correctly so he was still in highschool when they were dating (prep school smartie). I liked that I loved seeing the positive relationship I felt it made Usagi stronger and gave her even more of a purpose to fight.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....