Best Incarnation of Usagi?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Best Incarnation of Usagi?

Post by Passions55 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:44 pm

I was wondering what incarnation of Usagi do you all like the best and why. So far I've been able to view Usagi in the Sailor Moon American dub, The orginal japanese series and the live action show Pretty Gaurdian Sailor Moon. I have never ead the manga (as of yet). So of the choices which do you like the bestr and think is the best portrayal of Usagi:

Manga Usagi

Orginal anime Usagi

American Dub Usagi/Serena

Live Action PGSM Usagi

Personally from whatI'm seeing of Usagi in the love action series, I'm really liking the way her character is presented. She isn't dumb or clumsy or socially awkward like the other versions I've seen and she can actually take care of her self in battle. I like how even though shes occassinally flakey she is capable and can fight unlike in other versons where it seems like she isn't a very strong fighter despite have strong powers. I also like that she is more extraverted and mature instead of a babish and pouty.

well thats my opinion what about every else?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Hehe I think my answer on this would probably be predictible due to my other posts but also do to me not seeing PSGM yet. Now that I have high speed internet im going to watch some episodes to see what I think but to me Manga Usagi is my favorite incarnation.

The reasons ive stated before but i'll do it again, shes much stronger and confident after the vanquish of Metallia and the dark kingdom. Once she realizes not only her true duties as Sailor moon but the fact that she will one day rule Earth you see her grow and mature even more but the manga still manages to keep her light hearted side to. I love how she generally cares for not only the Senshi and Mamoru, but the entire planet then later the entire galaxy and risks her life and limb several times to take down those who threaten it. Also by the end of the manga you truly see what she is willing to do to save the entire galaxy and how strong her inner power is. In the anime shes too much of a cry baby and really was not even a character I took seriously till I read her manga counterpart, now shes number 3 in my favorite senshi.

I also like the way the manga showed the range of her powers in the first book her light powers from the Ginzshou was able to heal the sick and give life to a dying plant.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Well, being that I'm not a huge fan of PGSM (though I haven't seen all of it, either...it's cute, but not my favorite version of SM by far), and being that the manga isn't my favorite either, I'd have to say original anime Usagi.

I adore her voice, the way she's animated, and just her entire demeanor in the show. I do like her in the manga, but I enjoy anime far more than manga, and so therefore, her character there appeals to me more.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Well I haven't seen PGSM, but from what I've seen in the animes and from what I've read in the manga... Original anime Usagi.

For the manga, Usagi seemed to mature VERY quickly, early on. It just doesn't seem natural to mature that quickly, especially coming from Usagi's personality. I dunno, she just seemed to mature a lot more quickly in the manga than she did in the anime.

Dub Usagi just struck me as stupid. Not just kinda ditzy, a little airheaded... I think the dub tried to make her borderline retarded, so she'd have an excuse to have teammates to help her out. That's the way I saw it and continue to see it now.

Original anime Usagi is just the most real, to me, I guess. She matures more slowly, which is a little more to be expected for someone of her personality, and especially her age. She's more imperfect, at first she doesn't want to do her job, but then she finds more reason and motivation to do it. Not just because she HAS to, but when she realizes her background and her future, she knows what she has to do and doesn't have as much of a problem doing it.

So that's my jumbled together 2¢.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:58 pm

I like PGSM Usagi the best. Anime Usagi has her moments (mainly when she tries to forgive her enemies) but she has moments where she's almost too immature to me. It's as if Sailor Moon continues to mature but civilian Usagi becomes progressively immature. Like in one episode of SuperS where she accused her parents of having a bad relationship just because Chibi-usa stole her piece of pie or how she got ridiculously jealous of Ami just because Mamoru was helping her study of all things, but then she'll turn around and obsess over every handsome guy she sees and the Inners have to constantly remind her that she already has Mamoru. Yet when Seiya tries to hit on her she's suddenly off-limits. Sometimes these scenes can be pretty funny but other times they're just annoying. On the other hand, I feel like manga Usagi matures almost too quickly. She starts off as a flawed crybaby that matures during the Dark Kingdom arc but it's like after the first arc her character development stops completely and I feel like she's become almost too perfect in the later arcs and that's just kind of boring.

I love PGSM Usagi the most because I feel like she gives me the best of both worlds. She's not quite as immature as anime Usagi but she still has a lot of flaws throughout the series and she doesn't have to have the Inners tell her to attack every single time they fight a monster. I also liked how when she found out she lived in the moon in the past it was actually a big deal for her in PGSM. I always felt like Usagi accepted her past almost too quickly in the anime and the manga but in PGSM she actually gets depressed when she learns that Ikuko isn't her original mother and I love how that shows just how much Usagi cares about her family. I also liked how PGSM Usagi tried to help Ami become friends with Naru and Rei become friends with Makoto as opposed to the anime and the manga where they just magically all get along. That just feels more believable to me and I feel like their friendships are a lot stronger because of it. I also like how even though Hina was Mamoru's fiancee in PGSM Usagi never hated her for it and Hina actually treated Usagi like a little sister. If it was anime Usagi, she would have been crying up a storm but I feel like she handled the love triangle in PGSM rather maturely. And in PGSM she also seems to be more aware of how her actions affect others, such as when she's trying to keep from becoming so upset that she releases Serenity's powers and loses control as opposed to the anime where she can be almost too selfish, like how she cared more about a stupid swimsuit competition than about innocent people being turned into photographs by the Dark Kingdom.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:57 pm

I've never read the Manga and I've never seen PGSM (yeah, now I have only two choices I know) but I would have to say original Japanese Usagi. The DUB had some funny moments i'll admit but they truly made her stupid. Just plain stupid.

I like how we see Usagi mature through the anime series. From rejecting her role as princess to finaly accepting her fate. And I like how, although she matures, she still retains a childlike immaturity to her. It makes her more human and real. We all grow up but we all still act immature sometimes and Usagi is proof of this.

I also love how they brought her love and compassion to the screen. The realsim of her pain and the beauty of her tears on the screen are just mesmerizing.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Undecided between manga and anime.

I refuse to acknowledge the dub. And I gave up on PGSM about mid-way through when it got stupid. It jumped the shark when they began reviving the generals and jumped the shark again with Sailor Luna.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:58 am

Aya Reiko wrote:Undecided between manga and anime.

I refuse to acknowledge the dub. And I gave up on PGSM about mid-way through when it got stupid. It jumped the shark when they began reviving the generals and jumped the shark again with Sailor Luna.
see, that's part of why i've avoided it for so long...sailor luna. I hate the idea, hate the character, and just...dont' want to see that part of PGSM.

PGSM Usagi is adorable, I will admit, but I haven't seen enough of her to develop an opinion on whether or not she's the best. They did pick a great actress for her, though.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:30 am

Tiff wrote:
Aya Reiko wrote:Undecided between manga and anime.

see, that's part of why i've avoided it for so long...sailor luna. I hate the idea, hate the character, and just...dont' want to see that part of PGSM.

PGSM Usagi is adorable, I will admit, but I haven't seen enough of her to develop an opinion on whether or not she's the best. They did pick a great actress for her, though.
I think it was getting rather obvious the writers were scripting things rather haphazardly a bit past mid-way through. They probably wrote it an arc at a time without bothering to plan ahead. (Thus why each of the generals were eventually resurrected. The writers realized they had painted themselves into a corner.) I also think the series could have been better if it were shorter, say only 39 or 26 episodes instead.

That, and the ultra-blatant merchandising.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

laffinizluv
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by laffinizluv » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:31 pm

Meh... My favorite version is the anime version just because she is ridiculous and funny. SHe brings a smile to my face with how sweet and caring she is, it makes me want to be a better person. (ah, so sappy..)

But... honestly the BEST incarnation is probably the manga Usagi. She's just more confident and leader-like with a better combination of human-like qualities.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:13 am

I love animated Usagi to even though shes changed alot in my opinion its still not as bad as the other senshi, at least she gets to keep the majority of her backstory. Its just to me the manga keeps her lighthearted side as Usagi, but builds her character as Sailor moon better. She just really seems to take her duties more seriously especially towards the end of the book series. There were times she still cried and doubted herself but after a talk with one of her fellow soliders or Mamoru she was back to her fighting self. And she gave the villians much more to fear, their was hardly any insulting her character because the story sort of kept the bumblilng side to her alt (save in the beginning when she was learning her powers) that way it was more believable that the villians had no clue Usagi was Sailormoon. I mean come on a clumsy teen the weilder of the silver crystal? thats why I like her manga form the best.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:29 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I like PGSM Usagi the best. Anime Usagi has her moments (mainly when she tries to forgive her enemies) but she has moments where she's almost too immature to me. It's as if Sailor Moon continues to mature but civilian Usagi becomes progressively immature. Like in one episode of SuperS where she accused her parents of having a bad relationship just because Chibi-usa stole her piece of pie or how she got ridiculously jealous of Ami just because Mamoru was helping her study of all things, but then she'll turn around and obsess over every handsome guy she sees and the Inners have to constantly remind her that she already has Mamoru. Yet when Seiya tries to hit on her she's suddenly off-limits. Sometimes these scenes can be pretty funny but other times they're just annoying. On the other hand, I feel like manga Usagi matures almost too quickly. She starts off as a flawed crybaby that matures during the Dark Kingdom arc but it's like after the first arc her character development stops completely and I feel like she's become almost too perfect in the later arcs and that's just kind of boring.
I agree with every thing you have said here, I like anime Sailor Moon but Usagi herself didn't seem to change a whole lot and there where times that I found her sort of hypicritical. Like how you mentioned her drooling after other guys and the other senshi reminding her that she had boyfriend, but flipping out completely for immagined offences or little offences with Mamoru. And when Chibi Usa entered the scene they really made Usagi act like a petulant five year old hungering for daddy's attention. constantly pairing off Usagi and Chibi Usa was a bad idea since it brought out Usagi's annoying childish side that seemd blantantly inappropiate to be Mamoru's girlfriend. I don't know I just thinik they made Usagi really unequal to Mamaru by the way she behaved in the anime. It was upsetting. I think there was at least three episodes that was dedicated to people completely confused as to how some one like Mamoru could be dating some one like Usagi. and they even make Usagi's insecurities and jealousy issues inconsistant. Usagi is always jealous and insecure of keeping Mamoru's attention that she makes a bigger deal out of little things that really don't threaten her relationship with mamoru, but in the one instance where there is a girl who activily tries to steal Mamoru Usagi doesn't even suspect her and seems perfectly oblivious and unconcerned with the girl. Only Chibi Usa is aware and concerned of the girl trying to make a move on Mamoru.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:29 am

Well Usagi is a teenage girl and like girls her age they do fantasize on other guys while having a boyfriend.

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I love original anime Usagi best by far.The anime portrays her the way most of my friends really are, and since we're about Usagi's age that just makes it feel real. Actually I almost didn't pick anime Usagi because of having to be reminded of Mamoru, but then I remembered that most, if not all, of my friends talk about other people they're interested in whether they have a boyfriend or girlfriend or not. I blame the raging teenage hormones. She was just to dumb in the dub. I don't really like PGSM, mostly because it just kinda ran out of ideas. I almost picked th manga version, but I think she could have kept more of her childishness.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:03 pm

You know I seen alot of the same comments about manga Usagi and after re reading the manga im wondering where the idea that she stops being childish quickly comes from? Because up to the deadmoon (Nehelania) Arc of the manga she is still her childish self as Usagi, its as Sailor Moon she becomes more competent which I always felt she should be. By then she had the Dark Kingdom and Black moon and Witches 5 and Pharoah 90 under her belt. But they still kept her light hearted clumsy side as Usagi. They even had her dream about staying a child with Mamoru where all she did was eat and he took care of her. And by stars where she really did start to show some maturity I thought it was fitting considering the situation.

Not to knock anyones choices I would never do that, I just dont see the argument that she matured to quickly's validity. I think the manga balanced both sides well for Usagi. But like most characters who grow into their duties her Sailor Moon persona became stronger and more confident. I liked that the most about that version of Usagi, she finally started to realize her potential to not only take down the enemy but heal those she loved which was basically everyone.

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:46 am

I love the manga Usagi, just because if I read the first chapter of #1 and then read Sailor Stars #3 back-to-back, I am so in awe of her character development. I have yet to try it with the original anime, but from what I can imagine, I'm not sure if it would have quite the same impact.

I despise dub Usagi. The complete ditziness, the way she screamed, the way she talked as a princess (seriously, just because she's wearing a princess dress it doesn't mean that she's suddenly talking, "royally!"), and a whole list of other complaints that I just won't bother getting into. And I've never seen PGSM. :/
*~SailorStarfire07~*

"Robin, who is this girl? And why does she call you, ''''poo?''''"
~Starfire, Teen Titans

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:38 pm

I like both manga and anime Usagi. Haven't seen too much of PGSM to comment, but I think that Usagi is okay. Dub Usagi=...no.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue May 06, 2008 9:58 pm

I haven't seen PGSM. So I can't comment. And i'm not going to even begin to go there in regards to my feelings on the dub. This would turn into a 5 page rant.

I like anime Usagi. She develops slower and we get to know a lot more about her personally. But my heart will always belong to the manga.

Yes, she does tend to mature really fast in the manga. But then again, you only got so many chapters to cover so much time frame. Things will tend to speed up a bit. but she'll always be our lovable, flawed at times, Usagi. And that's the way we like her!

I like Usagi with a bit more quiet reflectivness. Often times in the manga you find her alone and having to face things on her own. I love seeing her strength and the ablity to keep hope alive no matter who she faces. Giving that love and strength to those around her, whether she is Usagi or Sailormoon. The loving relationship she strongly forges with Mamoru, no matter what they face. Her bond with the senshi and her daughter. We get to see her doubts and fears, and her happiness. I feel in the manga, like I can see her completely and it makes her so much more endearing.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed May 07, 2008 12:36 am

DreamEmpress wrote:I haven't seen PGSM. So I can't comment. And i'm not going to even begin to go there in regards to my feelings on the dub. This would turn into a 5 page rant.

I like anime Usagi. She develops slower and we get to know a lot more about her personally. But my heart will always belong to the manga.

Yes, she does tend to mature really fast in the manga. But then again, you only got so many chapters to cover so much time frame. Things will tend to speed up a bit. but she'll always be our lovable, flawed at times, Usagi. And that's the way we like her!

I like Usagi with a bit more quiet reflectivness. Often times in the manga you find her alone and having to face things on her own. I love seeing her strength and the ablity to keep hope alive no matter who she faces. Giving that love and strength to those around her, whether she is Usagi or Sailormoon. The loving relationship she strongly forges with Mamoru, no matter what they face. Her bond with the senshi and her daughter. We get to see her doubts and fears, and her happiness. I feel in the manga, like I can see her completely and it makes her so much more endearing.
Couldnt have put it better myself ^_^ thats the exact reason I love the manga Usagi as well.

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 am

I'm gonna have to go with the Manga Usagi. Just because it encompasses every facet of her personality and it does showcase more of her growing up. I'm not going to say mature, because, just as Senshi_of_Vision states, she's not really maturing, she's just growing comfortable in her role as a senshi and she's getting older as a teenager.

I will say the anime keeps her pretty consistent character wise, but she's just consistently 14 years old and I feel in some episodes she regresses in age.

I guess I'm just partial to some anime and mangas that follow the development of a character.

I've watched a bit of PGSM, but not enough to comment. And I have TOO many comments about the dubbed Sailor Moon, and they are all bad!!
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!