Cliche Sailor Moon Fanfics

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Banana
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Banana » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:48 am

I've come to the conclusion that anything crossed over with Harry Potter is created just to see what House the characters will be sorted into. You think of your favorite fandom, and you look at their personalities and match them up with the Houses. It seems once the Sorting is over, there is never anything interesting to read about for the rest of the story. In Sailor Moon, people have different ideas of where the Senshi will be sorted into. But you know for a fact that Ami will ALWAYS be sorted into Ravenclaw...ALWAYS.

ShanSunflower
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ShanSunflower » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:57 pm

Ugh, cliches:
-Seiya and Usagi getting married and having babies (even though Seiya is a woman).
-New senshi. Especially "Zodiac" senshi and "Generation Two" senshi.
-Sailor Earth. Who do ya' think Tuxedo Kamen is? Just a random guy in a cape?
-"Naru is a Sailor Senshi!".
-AU fics which are "OMG highschool!!!!11". This seems to be cliche in every fandom, actually. It could be entertaining if it were well-done, but it almost never is.

Annoying, but not cliches:
-Authors justifying the Inners/Generals pairings because of that one picture Takeuchi drew.
-Authors insisting that Makoto/Ami, Rei/Minako, and/or Rei/Usagi are meant to be and that there is evidence in the anime/manga of this.
-Authors insisting that it's okay to mix Japanese anime and American dub (even though they are very different) because the manga and the anime are different, too.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:20 pm

ShanSunflower wrote: -New senshi. Especially "Zodiac" senshi and "Generation Two" senshi.
Zodiac Senshi? Explain please.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:34 pm

bioengineer wrote:
ShanSunflower wrote: -New senshi. Especially "Zodiac" senshi and "Generation Two" senshi.
Zodiac Senshi? Explain please.
Senshi named/modeled after the zodiac.

IE, Sailor Leo, Sailor Gemini, etc.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:08 pm

Banana wrote:I've come to the conclusion that anything crossed over with Harry Potter is created just to see what House the characters will be sorted into. You think of your favorite fandom, and you look at their personalities and match them up with the Houses. It seems once the Sorting is over, there is never anything interesting to read about for the rest of the story. In Sailor Moon, people have different ideas of where the Senshi will be sorted into. But you know for a fact that Ami will ALWAYS be sorted into Ravenclaw...ALWAYS.
On this Livejournal community for Harry Potter Sues, there was the standard crossover...they come to England to help beat Voldemort, they all become friends, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, one comment just set up this senario with Hermione and Ami fighting over who would be the brains of the operation. If I can find that again, I'll share it.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Oh geez. -_-;;

My 3 all-time favorite fandoms are Sailor Moon, Teen Titans, and Harry Potter.

All 3 fandoms have horrible heaps of fanfiction. Teen Titans is the largest in the cartoon section, Harry Potter is *most likely* the largest in the book section, and Sailor Moon is just one of the biggest. Then again it's a lot harder to compete with anime, especially Naruto. My goodness, I can't go anywhere without seeing Naruto. Kind of irritating.

Point being, I'm afraid of Sailor Moon fanfiction and I will not touch it, write it, or even slash it to pieces unless someone I trust recommends it to me.

I don't know any cliches, but I'd be willing to bet that there's more where all this came from.

yamichan2
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by yamichan2 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:10 am

I admit I have written some of these evil cliche's myself. But that was a LONG time ago. Now I like to think that I don't write cliches...
And I never finished any of the evil things.

A cliche I see a lot is a Usagi/(insert random male DBZ charector here), usually involving time travel and or dimension travel.

HP/SM crossovers are evil.

Currently I don't read SM fanfiction unless it is reccomended to me as well.
Find me on www.gaiaonline.com! :P

Water Knight
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Water Knight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:14 pm

Well, it's bad enough there's about a million Sailor Earth/Terra or Sailor Sun/Sol, etc. fanfics out there, but then Sailor Earth's civilian form is somehow related to Mamoru or is usually his sister.
Or even worse, I've heard of fics where Mamoru actually becomes Sailor Earth, complete with sailor fuku and miniskirt...

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:07 pm

^ Oh good--BAH!! MAMORU IS NOT A SAILOR STARLIGHT!!

:lol:

HP/ANYTHING crossovers are evil. Harry Potter is another fandom I will not touch. Teen Titans I've been touching scarcely, but mostly on the Robin and Starfire Shrine where there isn't nearly as much to sift through. Plus I've been part of that fandom since 2004 when it was still tiny so it's tough to try and leave it.

As for the whole Sailor Earth/Sailor Terra thing? Lol you can make that a Teen Titans crossover. xDDD

I wonder if it exists anywhere, and if it has, why I haven't seen it yet. *skips off to FF.Net*
*~SailorStarfire07~*

"Robin, who is this girl? And why does she call you, ''''poo?''''"
~Starfire, Teen Titans

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:57 am

I just remembered one that was equal parts WTF and wow.

Several years ago, I worked with a guy who was obsessed with Sailor Moon to the nth degree. (He's even the one who got me into Sailor Stars long before I knew Stars even existed!) We were talking one day after work about Sailor Moon, and he asked me if I'd like to read a fanfic he wrote. I agreed and he handed me a 3-ring binder (yes, a binder) that contained his fic.

I read it, and really wasn't sure what to think at the time. In it, he cast himself as Sailor Earth, with his friends as both Sailor Senshi and brainwashed villains, with the original senshi helping the new ones to fight the new evil. Now, to be fair, he was a good writer, so it wasn't a matter of it being a poorly written fic. The concept was just really out there, and I just thought "o...k..." But in the end, I did enjoy it, and told him he was a good writer, even if the premise of the story was rather strange.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

(And speaking of cliches, has anyone seen a lot of fics with "Star Senshi", or senshi named for stars as opposed to planets/zodiac/etc?)

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Fics that have the men stronger than women. Not to sound sexist on purpose, but Sailor Moon is about girls being stronger than guys and overcoming the most impossible odds.
Its just silly to read Mamoru or Dimando getting the best of any sailor senshi.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:33 am

bioengineer wrote:Its just silly to read Mamoru or Dimando getting the best of any sailor senshi.
Well, it did happen in the anime. Evil!Endymion bested Jupiter, and Dimande bested Sailor Moon (she needed Tux's help to escape). Of course, it happened differently in the manga, but the anime is the most common and well-known version among fans.

You can't really blame fanfic writers for using the same plot device. Even if it is a lame plot device. ^^;
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 am

Is it just me, or are most fanfics these days original fiction that just happen to use Sailor Moon names? You know "Usagi is a college student and Mamoru is her teacher" "Usagi is a vampire and Mamoru is a vampire hunter" and so on. Why do people keep writing these things, instead of just writing original fiction? :roll:

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:47 am

rockable wrote:Is it just me, or are most fanfics these days original fiction that just happen to use Sailor Moon names? You know "Usagi is a college student and Mamoru is her teacher" "Usagi is a vampire and Mamoru is a vampire hunter" and so on. Why do people keep writing these things, instead of just writing original fiction? :roll:
fantasy fullfillment mainly.

obviously the writing appeals to the writer, unfortunatly those same writers often take it as a personal attack if you dont completely agree with them, and that offends me as a writer.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:19 pm

The sudden movie inspired AU fics:

"Pirate Mamoru (Jack) kidnaps Seiya's(William) wife Usagi(Liz) and romances her all while evil Capt. Diamond(Davey) chases them."

What I find annoying in these movie inspired AU fics is that the author cuts and pastes ENTIRE script parts from the movie and does not even credit the producers or actors/actress.

Plagiarism at its worst.

Ravynsoul90
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Ravynsoul90 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:26 pm

bioengineer wrote: "Pirate Mamoru (Jack) kidnaps Seiya's(William) wife Usagi(Liz) and romances her all while evil Capt. Diamond(Davey) chases them."
*Starts writing* :twisted:

hmm.. cliche's..

UsagixSeiya is the biggest

ReixMinako - Because of one picture *twitch* and PGSM they were like.. subtext... kinda scary

New senshi that either:
Replace the old ones
Join the old ones
Dont even know the old ones

just.. New Senshi should always be a NO

Crossovers.. i dont like them >.o

Yaoi/Yuri for all!

Chibiusa as the new Sailor Moon

And thats only the few i can think of :? :shock:
So Sorry, Usagi-chan! We will take your energy after the wedding as your Wedding Gift to us okay? :D - Kuroki Mio(PGSM)

Must... Kill... BILL!!!!

Move your goddamn big toe..

"What a time we live in, anger, intolerence, famine, terrorism.. Just imagin what its gunna be like for your grandchildren"
- My English Teacher O.O

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:55 pm

bioengineer wrote:
Apparently Minako and Rei were actually alien life forms
Technically they are aliens and not humans since they did come from the moon and other planets. Which reminds me, ever wonder why Takeuchi made Sailormoon and her Senshi so alike humans?

Technically they are humans and not aliens beause they were reborn as humans of earth. As for why they looked so human even when they weren't from earth as a guess from a scientific stand point the evolution for the people of the moon was similar to that of earth's and from a religious standpoint uh God made the people of the moon the same way he made the people of earth I guess. But it's really not much to sit and think about best to just accept it.

lestamore
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by lestamore » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 am

I have not read very much sm fanfic. I am mostly only interested in lemon, and while I haven't looked very hard, most of what I have found is either really tame, or just totally out of character. I think it is likely that people write stories and then paste in the names of a whatever characters from whatever fandoms they think will get their story read.

This is kind of a let down. On the other hand, to get my sm fix, I have been known to just replace the names in some other story so that I can imagine it with sailor moon characters instead.

As for new sailors, I think there are a lot of alternate sailor roleplayers out there who are inspired by that. I think its fine... It just isn't 'really' Sailor Moon. And they have to work a lot harder to make you care about their characters.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Most cliche Sm fanfics I've seen

The Senshi kick Sailor Moon out usually Rei is the leader in this. Makes me think the fanfic writers watch the dub but just know the original names.

A new Sailor Soldier comes and shes more powerful then the Senshi. Beware Sailor Mary Sue

Mamoru and Usagi break up and Usagi gets with Seiya. A lot of times in this case it's also revealed that Chibi-Usa's real father is Seiya.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Sailor Moon crossed over with anything, I found two fanfics that was Arthur (the PBS Kids show) crossed with Sailor Moon. The fanfic is called Prunella Moon
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!