Cliche Sailor Moon Fanfics

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

This Side of Paradise
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Cliche Sailor Moon Fanfics

Post by This Side of Paradise » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:18 pm

If this isn't the right place for this thread, go ahead and move it. I was thinking of asking this question, for three times now. So I decided while my internet is being nice to me, to write this up as a thread. My question is if you frequent Fanfiction.net or sites like that, whether or not you have come across any what you think to be cliche SM fanfics.

Like maybe, lets say Sailor Moon and gang meets Harry Potter, or they go off to Hogwarts as teachers or they learn that they are accepted to the school.

Or the Senshi kick Sailor Moon out of the Sailor Team, (and it's always the same reason they think she's lazy etc) and such.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had either read or come across or just want to add their two cents in about cliched Sailor Moon fanfics like above. You know the ones you see on Fanfiction.net and you see about three fanfics were the Sailor Senshi kick SM off the team.

What's your thoughts?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own. Adam Savage.

Adam: I think this is the strangest position I''ve ever been in on this show.
Kari: [quietly] Notice how he qualifies it with "on this show".

MythBusters.

laffinizluv
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by laffinizluv » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:08 pm

Dude, anything that involves lesbian couples beside the already available one is retarded and cliche.

Sailor Earth, Sailor Sun Sailor Comet, Sailor Spaceship, etc... Just don't.

The other senshi having kids... not widely accepted.

Those are the only ones I know of. If you wanna be original do something no one else is doing. Think outside the box. Hope this helps.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Swamp Monsters Are Eating My Couch!

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:45 pm

I've been reading fanfiction for a while now, and I can honestly say I hate the word cliché. Too many people use it like a curse word to condemn fics or writers for the stupidest things.

That being said, yes, there are a lot of overused plot-points out there. They get thrown into stories without any original thought, and they make for an extremely boring read. That's when I click the little "x" on the tab and pick another story.

Usagi gets kicked off of the team, wangst ensues. Senshi go to America, wangst ensues. Second generation senshi have to save the world, wangst ensues. New senshi show up, old senshi are suspicious, wangst ensues.

Yeah, it can be pretty annoying, but I have seen all of those plot points used well. Some people actually take the effort to make it fun or original, but they still get steamrolled by elitists for using those "clichés" at all.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Pipestrell
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Pipestrell » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:36 am

Using time-travel or other plot breaking means to kill of the character the author like least. The more advanced version of this involves replacing said character with a wonderful new sue-senshi.

Some clichés can work if their well written but considering we're talking about the pit, fanfiction.net, good writers are few and far between.
Last edited by Pipestrell on Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosencrantz: Do you think death could be a boat?
Guildenstern: No; Death is not, it isn’t. Death is the ultimate negative; not being. You can’t not be on a boat.
Rosencrantz: I’ve frequently not been on boats.
Guildenstern: No; what you’ve been, is not on boats.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 am

I've seen more than enough Sailor Earth to last a lifetime.

I've also seen more than enough "Usagi-and-Mamoru-never-get-together-and-she-marries-Seiya" plot, too. As much as I like Seiya and the whole unrequited love thing with usagi, that's just a big annoyance to me (then again, I'm not fond of things that aren't canon).

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:02 pm

There was one horrible Digimon fanfic that crossed over with Gundam Wing and Sailor Moon that I read a really long time ago but I can't remember what it was called or who the author was because it's been ages since I've read it but I can still remember all the details about it. The fic was centered around the Digimon Tamers dub universe but the Digimon didn't even do anything in it expect for like one scene at the beginning. The Tamers were now teenagers but everyone was totally out of character with Takato acting like a jerk to Rika and being the lead singer in a hit new boy band that sings Aaron Carter songs for no apparent reason, Rika angsting because Takato broke up with her, and Jeri acting like a bitch as an excuse for the writer to bash her character just because she was a TakatoxRika shipper. Only she decides later on that she actually does like Jeri and explains it that she was possessed by an evil Digimon for no apparent reason and has her hook up with Henry just because they could.

And for some reason all the Tamers became Sailor Scouts and of course the writer's favorite Digimon character, Rika, had to be Sailor Moon in this AU. The fic's plot was ripped off the dub of the first season expect it crossed over with Digimon characters acting like Mary Sues and Takato and Rika suddenly have a Mary-Sue rip-off of Chibi-usa who turns out to be their obligatory bratty daughter from the future but it started to suck even more when she decided to have the Tamers be best friends with the Gundam Wing pilots and the author wrote herself and her best friends into the plot. Of course she had to have Trowa and Quatre be gay just because she could but the author had her character get Duo as her boyfriend and Heero turned out to be Sailor Pluto. :shock: It was just so horrible that I almost wish I still had it bookmarked just so I could laugh at it but it's probably disappeared off the face of the Internet by now given how old it was. There was some other fanfic I remember from a long time ago where Jaedite came back from eternal sleep to seek revenge against the Sailor Scouts and the fic was crossed over with the writer's own original Star Wars characters.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:31 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:There was one horrible Digimon fanfic that crossed over with Gundam Wing and Sailor Moon that I read a really long time ago but I can't remember what it was called or who the author was because it's been ages since I've read it but I can still remember all the details about it. The fic was centered around the Digimon Tamers dub universe but the Digimon didn't even do anything in it expect for like one scene at the beginning. The Tamers were now teenagers but everyone was totally out of character with Takato acting like a jerk to Rika and being the lead singer in a hit new boy band that sings Aaron Carter songs for no apparent reason, Rika angsting because Takato broke up with her, and Jeri acting like a bitch as an excuse for the writer to bash her character just because she was a TakatoxRika shipper. Only she decides later on that she actually does like Jeri and explains it that she was possessed by an evil Digimon for no apparent reason and has her hook up with Henry just because they could.

And for some reason all the Tamers became Sailor Scouts and of course the writer's favorite Digimon character, Rika, had to be Sailor Moon in this AU. The fic's plot was ripped off the dub of the first season expect it crossed over with Digimon characters acting like Mary Sues and Takato and Rika suddenly have a Mary-Sue rip-off of Chibi-usa who turns out to be their obligatory bratty daughter from the future but it started to suck even more when she decided to have the Tamers be best friends with the Gundam Wing pilots and the author wrote herself and her best friends into the plot. Of course she had to have Trowa and Quatre be gay just because she could but the author had her character get Duo as her boyfriend and Heero turned out to be Sailor Pluto. :shock: It was just so horrible that I almost wish I still had it bookmarked just so I could laugh at it but it's probably disappeared off the face of the Internet by now given how old it was. There was some other fanfic I remember from a long time ago where Jaedite came back from eternal sleep to seek revenge against the Sailor Scouts and the fic was crossed over with the writer's own original Star Wars characters.
o.O the topic is cliche'd plots...as in, what plots do you see over and over? What you typed sounds more just like randomness and bizarre.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:02 am

Making a girl or guy character who was historically heterosexual into a homosexual. Ok sure, this stuff happens, but not on a flip of a dime. Same goes for turning a homosexual character (Haruka is popular in this) into heterosexual as for the sole reason the writer does not agree with her original sexuality.

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:11 pm

What I can't stand are all those stupid AUs that have nothing to do with Sailor Moon except that the main characters happen to be called Usagi and Mamoru. "Usagi is a vampire and Mamoru is a vampire hunter..." "Mamoru is Usagi's new teacher..." "Mamoru's is Usagi's new boss..." etc.
Actually I'm just tired of Usagi/Mamoru romance in general.

jam-chan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by jam-chan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Oh God.

I HATE those stories where people pair the senshi and generals together because Takeuchi did like one friggin' picture of them together. x(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:48 pm

jam-chan wrote:Oh God.

I HATE those stories where people pair the senshi and generals together because Takeuchi did like one friggin' picture of them together. x(
Why didn't I mention that...? I hate those, too. It drives me insane. She even states in her notes in that particular artbook that she simply wanted to draw a picture of them together. Oy -_-

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:20 pm

having never read the manga I thought that was actually cannon.

THANK GOD I was wrong!!!! I didn't want to think the creator of sailormoon was THAT BAD of a story writer
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:48 am

bioengineer wrote:Making a girl or guy character who was historically heterosexual into a homosexual. Ok sure, this stuff happens, but not on a flip of a dime.
Then there's the AU fics where said characters are in fact gay and have been all along.

I once read one where Minako figured she wanted Rei, much to Usagi's annoyance. Why is this? Apparently Minako and Rei were actually alien life forms or something like that. Anyway, at the end of the story, Mamoru comes out as a lesbian (after having previously been mentioned as being gay--this was waaaaaaaaaay before South Park got in on that one) and gets with Makoto, while the AU status of the fanfic is lampshaded by having the group bring over the straight Minako and Rei that we all know and love.

Well, actually they used the dub names but otherwise that's a fair summary.

And let's not go into Evening at Lita's. Please, for the love of DOYC, don't ever go into that fic. Unless it's an MST.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:57 am

Apparently Minako and Rei were actually alien life forms
Technically they are aliens and not humans since they did come from the moon and other planets. Which reminds me, ever wonder why Takeuchi made Sailormoon and her Senshi so alike humans?

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:56 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:

having never read the manga I thought that was actually cannon.

THANK GOD I was wrong!!!! I didn't want to think the creator of sailormoon was THAT BAD of a story writer
Actually, it is heavily implied in the Sailor V manga that Venus and Kunzite were in love. And there are hints of one-sided Jadeite->Mars. No canon evidence whatsoever of Mercury/Zoisite and Jupiter/Nephrite though.
I don't like Senshi/general pairings either and I'd even hate them if they were canon. They're always so boring, all the generals usually have the same personality.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:21 pm

rockable wrote: Actually, it is heavily implied in the Sailor V manga that Venus and Kunzite were in love. And there are hints of one-sided Jadeite->Mars. No canon evidence whatsoever of Mercury/Zoisite and Jupiter/Nephrite though.
I don't like Senshi/general pairings either and I'd even hate them if they were canon. They're always so boring, all the generals usually have the same personality.
o.O I'm trying to figure out where in the Sailor V manga it would even bring UP Kunzite...since, isn't the SAilor V manga about her life in England, seperate from the moon kingdom and all that?

I've never read Sailor V, but that just...doesn't make sense to me.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:28 pm

The Sailor V manga takes place in Tokyo I believe (the England storyline was an anime invention for the sake of that one episode). But I'm pretty sure none of the generals were in that manga.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 pm

Jeff wrote:The Sailor V manga takes place in Tokyo I believe (the England storyline was an anime invention for the sake of that one episode). But I'm pretty sure none of the generals were in that manga.
Ah, I totally didn't know that. But still, I can't imagine why the generals would be in that.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:00 am

At one point, Adonis (that was his name right? Not sure if I remember things correctly) talks about Sailor Venus in the Silver Millenium, about "she often fell in love" And you see a picture of Venus and Kunzite holding hands in the background.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:25 am

rockable wrote:At one point, Adonis (that was his name right? Not sure if I remember things correctly) talks about Sailor Venus in the Silver Millenium, about "she often fell in love" And you see a picture of Venus and Kunzite holding hands in the background.
Meh, I wouldn 't hold much ground to that. Venus is pretty much the goddess/senshi of love, and she's known for jumping from crush to crush. It was probably yet another picture that Naoko just wanted to throw in.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama