Just finished watching all episodes + movies - My thoughts

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

A different kind of Being
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Just finished watching all episodes + movies - My thoughts

Post by A different kind of Being » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:34 am

Sorry, I just had to give my thoughts of everything now when I am done with the anime and the movies.

(Warning My post pretty much contains spoilers of every season and everything there is, so err don't read further if you haven't watched all seasons)

All my thoughts are based on the sub (Jpn version)

First of all, I kinda regret that I am so late to this anime. I saw one or two episodes in English in the end of the 90s, but it never got my attention back then. Funny enough I rediscover it like 8 years later and boom. Stuck! Stuff like that happens I guess.

I think I just exhausted myself watching Sailor Moon. I watched the 200 episodes + the movies in just 3 weeks. I couldn't stop watching, I was like "only one more" The whole time. Well the fact is that nothing in anime or movies have moved me like SM.

So what made the anime so great? (for me)

It's pretty safe to say that without a good main character, you lose interest. This was the reason I loved SM so much. Usagi Tsukino with the voice of Kotono Mitsuishi carries the series for me with her excellent personality. It's great to see how she matures through-out Season 1 to Sailor Stars, how she ages from 14 to 16 years old, and it definitely shows in her personality. I like her because she is sweet, kind hearted, funny and cute. Okay I gotta be totally honest, but the other sailor warriors didn't interest me as much. Mainly because they were not as developed as Usagi was. (Rei, Minako, Ami, Makoto pretty much stays the same except for new attacks) I thought it was much more interesting to follow Usagi's struggles. Just a personal preference I guess.

Which season(arc) was the best?

At first I thought SMC was the best one, but after Sailor Stars I had to cave in for that one. So as of now it is this order for me now:

Sailor Stars > Sailor Moon Classic > Sailor Moon R > Sailor Moon SuperS > Sailor Moon S.

That's right. I disliked Sailor Moon S the most (probably going against a lot of people on this one). It's still a very enjoyable arc, but I liked it the least. I will get more into that soon.

Sailor Moon Classic

Very special season indeed. When I started watching I had pretty much no idea what to expect and how many episodes I would watch before I was bored or something. Well needless to say it didn't take me long to take a liking to Sailor Moon. And I love the first intro, it is the best intro after the Sailor Stars one.

When Usagi met Luna I thought for sure that Luna was one of the Sailor Soldiers and was waiting for her to transform, lol so stupid by me ^_- I also didn't realize that Usagi was the moon princess they looked for, what I do had a feeling about though was that Mamoru and Usagi had something going pretty early. Usagi meeting him all the time, and the fights they had could only led to one thing. Naru's love story with Nephrite was also very interesting, and it was at that point when I realized that this anime is very special. The Nephrite and Naru story really moved me.

From there on, it was a ride. A pleasant ride. The ending of first season had me in tears, and Usagi(or serenity if you want) showed her amazing ability. Defeat your enemies with love and always believe. Well I guess that's why she is a healer.

fav episode: When Mamoru and Usagi revealed their identities

Sailor Moon R

I had high hopes on this season, and while it started off slow, I liked the drama between Usagi and Mamoru. There were some very emotional episodes between them when Mamoru pushed away Usagi. In one episode, I felt so bad when Usagi tripped on the street while she came running to him. Definitely shed some tears here.

I didn't care much for the doom tree arc, but I was glad they got together in the end of that. And then came Chibiusa. I disliked her a lot in the beginning, to the point that I felt she ruined things. But she grew on me later in later seasons. Death Phantom was the best villain after Galaxia, I really loved the ending of Season R. It was refreshing to see Usagi as Neo Queen Serenity again. You also noticed that Usagi started to mature more and more, and in the end she was the one believing the most (as usual)

fav episode: When it is revealed that Chibiusa is Usagi's and Mamoru's future child. The look on every ones face says it all! (especially on Rei's)

Sailor Moon S

This season comes down to one of the favorite seasons for many, but It is my least favorite one. Mainly because of Uranus. I just flat-out disliked her character. And she was so mean to Usagi in the end episodes. Usagi gave her all because it's in her kind hearted nature to save everyone, which Uranus and Neptune couldn't understand.

S had some hilarious filler episodes though, when Usagi gets drunk comes to mind. I laughed so much at that one :) I also liked the one when Usagi got 15 years old, and the b-day present crisis.

Sailor Moon SuperS

A season many disliked. (from what I gathered) But it actually grew on me. I disliked that chibiusa was the focus, but at least the relation between Small Lady and Usagi became better and better for each episode that passed, which was heartwarming to see. Some teared filled episodes also comes to mind as Usagi was ready to sacrifice herself for Mamoru. (that college friend episode)

Ah and yeah, the episode when Sailor Moon and Chibi Moon went to the dentist was hilarious. A very good laugh. I really liked the Nehelenia arc, and the ending of SuperS was absolutely beautiful. Seeing Usagi falling down through the atmosphere after Chibiusa was a very touching one. Less Uranus than Season S was also a plus.

Sailor Stars

Ok I gotta admit. After SuperS, Sailor Stars caught me totally of guard. It felt VERY different from the other seasons. Different in a good way. It was clear Sailor Moon was going to go out in a bang. Usagi was 16, and she didn't fool around and doing funny and dumb things as much as the other seasons. (except the episode when she messed up on TV, lol) The continuation of the Nehelenia arc was very good. I really liked how that one came out. Usagi's wish to save everyone (including the enemy) with her love; I just love those episodes! (that's how I am)

Then at the Galaxia arc I was surprised to see that Mamoru left immediately in the season. I thought like, oh he will be back soon. Boy how wrong I was. When they said goodbye it was very emotional indeed. I cried big time here.

Even though I consider Sailor Stars as my favorite season, I had a hard time for the star fighters. Seiya was okay, but I wasn't hoping that he would steal Usagi's love instead of Mamoru. The other 2 starfighters I totally loathed. They often came off as rude and not very nice. (Yaten-kun and Taiki)

Thoughts on the ending in episode 200

I expected an epic ending, and yeah I got an epic ending. The ending was simply fantastic and very beautiful done. When I found out that Mamoru was actually dead I was in shock. I didn't know they would go that far. Usagi's final transformation went a level beyond I thought they would do also.(heh) I guess that they wanted to show her pure hearted way of things (when naked), and that she doesn't want to hurt anyone, not even the most dangerous enemy in the galaxy, heh. I was glad the ending turned out to be a happy one after all, after such struggles it sure was worth it!

Now I am very sad that it's all over. I feel kinda empty. I want more, but this is it :(

On Usagi's and Mamoru's lovestory

I noticed that some people here dislike Mamoru, and even call him a jerk. I don't agree. One of the arguments was that Usagi and him was meant for each other just because it was said so, but actually they started to take a liking to each other before they found out that they were destined for each other. In an episode in the first season they're both sitting on a bench waiting for a painting job, and they look at each other, and mamoru thinks she looks cute upfront and usagi think the same. (that's the first sparkle of emotion between them as far as I know)

I really like Mamoru, I don't get why people think bad of him. In the first movie they explain how lonely he was as a child losing both parents. I understand him, that will hit your feelings very hard. I lost my dad at a very early age. Coming back from that will spin your feelings in a bad way and you might be a very reserved person.

Usagi gives him a lot of affecting, reaching out real hard for him. Mamoru does answer it well, yes he doesn't go crazy about it, but then again the rating would have gone up if it was more erotic. (lol)

When he left for studies(he didn't get far I know), i don't think it is anything wrong with that. He said he will be back in a year or so. It is more of a test for Usagi to be able to wait for him. It might actually improve the relationship doing some stuff apart from each other, it might grow stronger later on.

Usagi had a real hard time with Chibiusa in the begining, but they grew more found of eachother in every episode and season. Mamoru liked chibiusa from the start, as he was probably more mature about the situation. He knew that she was their future child and treated her well.

I think Mamoru fits Usagi a lot better than Seiya. Mamoru is more down to earth (nice pun) while Seiya is more of show case. I don't think their relationship would last like mamo's and usagi does. I was happy when usagi told seiya they would only be friends.

In the end I think Mamoru is the one who should be happy though. Usagi is really the perfect girl. She is kind, loving, sweet, funny, cute ,and even though she cries a lot she is always the strongest of them all. She defeats the bad guys with her love and belief, how about that.

On the movies

I prefer the TV series, but I still enjoyed the movies. SuperS was the worst one with a silly story, but it was still watchable. Promise of the Rose was pretty awesome because you got to know more about Mamoru's background. I found the S movie to the best one though since it had more character development and less fighting stuff. Too bad there wasn't a Sailor Star movie, though I heard that the fans really wanted one.

Some final quick notes

- Sailor Pluto's Dead...Scream was the coolest attack :p
- I thought Chibi Chibi was Seiya's and Usagi's future child for a while, lol.
- Death Phantom was the only final male villain in the anime, or else the last boss were all females.
- The Dual Moon transformation in SuperS was probably my fav transformation.
- I noticed that Seiya and Usagi started about the same way Mamoru and Usagi did.
- The music is very solid!

That's it for me I guess.
Last edited by A different kind of Being on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crecent beam
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Crecent beam » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:21 pm

Wow, what a great review ! I read it all.

I did the same when I watched the third season of Cardcaptor Sakura in a few days, and I felt empty afterwards. That's because it's always nicer to watch the show on TV, and follow the episodes day after day, thinking "What's gonna happen ?". So you watch it for a few months and then you'll have a more beutiful memory of the cartoon.

Just a question: who do you think is more powerful:
1) the inners
2) Uranus & Neptune
3) Starlights
We all go a little mad sometimes.

Authorized
Service
Shop

Nihongo ya furansugo ya supeingo ya eigo o benkyou shimasu.

Cresento beam showah ! Mars flame snipah ! Silbah mun crystalu pavah kiss !

The Card created by Sakura, abandon your old form and reincarnate under the name of your new master, Minako !

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:13 pm

Usagi never dies in SuperS. If you are thinking of when her dream mirror was shattered, I can tell you, she didn't die. You can see her reacting to the events going on with the Trio.

SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by A different kind of Being » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:58 pm

Jeff wrote:Usagi never dies in SuperS. If you are thinking of when her dream mirror was shattered, I can tell you, she didn't die. You can see her reacting to the events going on with the Trio.
okay I thought she died since her eyes were empty and all gone. I'll edit then.
Crecent Beam wrote: Wow, what a great review ! I read it all.
thanks. I am happy someone liked my writeup :)
Crecent Beam wrote: Just a question: who do you think is more powerful:
1) the inners
2) Uranus & Neptune
3) Starlights

The inner because of Moon. Her true powers are unmatched really. Her power of kindness and love are above all which is evident from episode 200.

Bluemax-ct
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re: Just finished watching all episodes + movies - My though

Post by Bluemax-ct » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:58 pm

I was able to space out watching the 5 seasons over two months and yes I had that empty feeling when done. Your review does a great job in it's analysis of the seasons and the characters. Just a few of my own observations:

Usagi was no warrior. She was the Princess Serenity, not one of the Sailor Soldiers shown in season one's flashbacks. Even thought the other Sailors needed to help her in battles it was Usagi who had the power to defeat the enemy in the end. Her strength of character matured as the series progressed. Her belief in the other Sailors and herself was what ultimately gave them victory.

I can't imagine enjoying the show as much by watching the dubbed version. The original voices, music and lyrics added so much to the emotional content of the series.

There was definitely a tension between the inner and outer Sailors. The two groups have a different maturity level which caused conflict both in battle and socially.

I plan on waiting until after the holidays to watch the movies. Till then I have my Sailor Moon figure sets and cards, acquired on eBay, to see me through. I wonder how long it will be until I revisit the world of Sailor Moon again.
Sometimes I sit and think, other times I just sit.

SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re: Just finished watching all episodes + movies - My though

Post by A different kind of Being » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:09 am

Bluemax-ct wrote:I was able to space out watching the 5 seasons over two months and yes I had that empty feeling when done. Your review does a great job in it's analysis of the seasons and the characters.

Thanks, yeah I am empty. Because I enjoyed every bit out of it. Even the fillers. And even the fillers had interesting tidbits.
Bluemax-ct wrote:
Usagi was no warrior. She was the Princess Serenity, not one of the Sailor Soldiers shown in season one's flashbacks. Even thought the other Sailors needed to help her in battles it was Usagi who had the power to defeat the enemy in the end. Her strength of character matured as the series progressed. Her belief in the other Sailors and herself was what ultimately gave them victory.

yeah you're right. I guess you could see Usagi as a healer. Usagi had some great character development, that's for sure. They really nailed it. The last episode was really powerful showing that she could change even the most dangerous enemy with her love and succeed.
Bluemax-ct wrote:
I can't imagine enjoying the show as much by watching the dubbed version. The original voices, music and lyrics added so much to the emotional content of the series.

True. The original version is amazing really.
Bluemax-ct wrote:
There was definitely a tension between the inner and outer Sailors. The two groups have a different maturity level which caused conflict both in battle and socially.

Agreed. I sympatized with the inner anyday though. The only ones in outer I could stand were saturn and pluto.
Bluemax-ct wrote:
I plan on waiting until after the holidays to watch the movies. Till then I have my Sailor Moon figure sets and cards, acquired on eBay, to see me through. I wonder how long it will be until I revisit the world of Sailor Moon again.
I plan to rewatching Sailor Stars soon again. It's just an amazing season. Atleast you have the movies left to enjoy :)

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:30 pm

I have a question for you "A different kind of being".

Have you watched the 3 Sailor Moon SuperS Specials and the short special called Ami's First Love?
Current Sailor Moon Season watched: Re-watching Sailor Moon Classic
Episode 15: "Usagi is Frantic! Rei''s First Date"

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:00 pm

Good heavens that was long. But detailed and to the point.
Now I am very sad that it's all over. I feel kinda empty. I want more, but this is it
Felt that same and fact they didn't write in Sailor Cosmos made me angry

SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by A different kind of Being » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 pm

SailorMoonFan wrote:I have a question for you "A different kind of being".

Have you watched the 3 Sailor Moon SuperS Specials and the short special called Ami's First Love?
I have seen 2 specials. Sailor Moon R special and SuperS special. What's the third one? And yes I seen Ami's first love.
Good heavens that was long. But detailed and to the point.
Thanks a lot! seems that a lot of people enjoyed it. I am happy. I wrote exactly how I felt. I am surprised people hasn't flamed me for calling S the worst season :)

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:21 am

A different kind of Being wrote:I have seen 2 specials. Sailor Moon R special and SuperS special. What's the third one? And yes I seen Ami's first love.
I think he meant the three SuperS special episodes, which you said you saw.
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[SMU] [Sonic-CulT] [Sonic Classic] [SoaH]
[SWS2B] [Zophar's] [DaizenshuuEX]
[My LiveJournal]

~ RattleMan's SMU Signature ~
~ April 10th, 2005 ~

SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by A different kind of Being » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:13 am

RattleMan wrote:
A different kind of Being wrote:I have seen 2 specials. Sailor Moon R special and SuperS special. What's the third one? And yes I seen Ami's first love.
I think he meant the three SuperS special episodes, which you said you saw.
ah yes, there is also a SM R special.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:05 pm

so is there going to be an exposition of the manga soon?

Kali
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kali » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:57 pm

this was really interesting to read someone's perspective of not knowing ANYTHING about the series! most fans who see the japanese version for the first time already know most of the plot... thank you for posting this!!!

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:59 am

That was a good review. Although I would put the classic as my favorite season.

Have you seen the live action Sailor Moon series? It's pretty good and the inners have MUCH more character development than the anime. It's called Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Hey guys i'm new! I absolutely loveee sailor moon and just finished watching seasons 1 and 2 in japanese, english sub. But i do have a question about the stars and season 2

Mamoru was killed by galaxia/chaos and then came back? oh and can someone explain how sailor moon is alive in the 20th century and some how is alive in the 30th century and neo queen serenity and awakens the earth.

nap*
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by nap* » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Starry Eyes wrote:Hey guys i'm new! I absolutely loveee sailor moon and just finished watching seasons 1 and 2 in japanese, english sub. But i do have a question about the stars and season 2

Mamoru was killed by galaxia/chaos and then came back? oh and can someone explain how sailor moon is alive in the 20th century and some how is alive in the 30th century and neo queen serenity and awakens the earth.
Mamoru was killed then came back in the last episode

Sailor Moon and Neo Queen Serenity can exist at the same time period, through time and space but they can't converse about what will happen between what will happen and the present because it will change the future.

I don't think it was explained, but something happened to the earth, while Chibi-usa was a baby and Sailormoon had the freeze time or some other stupid thing like that to protect everyone.

I have a question, in episode 9 when that yorma was controlling time, wouldn't it have made sense if Pluto made a cameo of some sort, she is the guardian of time and space, or was she busy awakening neptune at that time
Febby''''s here, the shortest month of the year, and in London the weather is random, so there

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:27 pm

so pretty much everyone can be reincarnated at any time? I dont think Pluto would have been awakening saturn at the time... r u talking about episode 9 in the first season?

nap*
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by nap* » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:33 pm

Starry Eyes wrote:so pretty much everyone can be reincarnated at any time? I dont think Pluto would have been awakening saturn at the time... r u talking about episode 9 in the first season?
Yes first series and I think you meant Neptune instead of Saturn.
Febby''''s here, the shortest month of the year, and in London the weather is random, so there

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:23 pm

I have a question. In the final episode did sailor moon fight chaos with the imperium silver crystal or her star seed... cause the shape of it looked like her star seed but then in the movies the silver crystal had the same shape as the final battle.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:43 pm

The Silver Crystal is her Star Seed, so yes, she did use it in the final battle.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?