Why do people say that Mamoru is a jerk in the anime?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Origiri
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Origiri » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:18 am

Rei&Usagi thingie? Now that is a different idea. :lol:

I agree Yuuchirou is better for Rei, she loves him even though she does not like admitting it. (then again she would not be our mad Rei if she did. :wink: )

Usagi seems to be happy with Anime Mamoru most of the time despite him being a jerk as we call it. So I guess they are a good couple. :roll:

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Origiri wrote:Usagi seems to be happy with Anime Mamoru most of the time despite him being a jerk as we call it. So I guess they are a good couple. :roll:
It always felt like it was the case of the "I'm only staying with him just so I can say I have a hot boyfriend not because I REALLY love him" syndrome.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

DragonMasterZero
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by DragonMasterZero » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:41 pm

SeiUsa wrote:
Origiri wrote:Usagi seems to be happy with Anime Mamoru most of the time despite him being a jerk as we call it. So I guess they are a good couple. :roll:
It always felt like it was the case of the "I'm only staying with him just so I can say I have a hot boyfriend not because I REALLY love him" syndrome.
To me that would seem very out of character for Usagi, shes too much of a kind, and honest person for that
Favorite Senshi: Saturn and Jupiter
If I had a Henshin phrase it would be: Dragon Master Power! Armor Up!

A shrine without girls is like Miso Soup without the Miso - Grandpa Hino
The human body can be drained of blood in 8 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems - River - Firefly

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am

To me that would seem very out of character for Usagi, shes too much of a kind, and honest person for that
Not a 100% kind, honest person. She did kill Mamoru a few times in the manga. Kind yes, but not totally impractical when it comes to getting a job done.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:26 am

SeiUsa wrote:
So, if Usagi was only with Mamoru because she wanted a boyfriend and not because she actually loved him, what exactly was stopping her from being with Seiya again?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:27 am

Cardcaptor Takato sez:
So, if Usagi was only with Mamoru because she wanted a boyfriend and not because she actually loved him, what exactly was stopping her from being with Seiya again?
Or Motoki?
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:08 pm

Um, yeah. I may not like Mamoru, but even I recognize that Usagi loves him and is just about completely devoted to him.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:46 pm

The problem I have with Mamoru's and Usagi's relationship in the anime is that they don't even like each other until they find out about their past. If they didn't have their past, their wouldn't be Usagi and Mamoru unlike the manga and live action where Mamoru and Usagi like each other before they find out who they really are.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:51 pm

Kameko wrote:The problem I have with Mamoru's and Usagi's relationship in the anime is that they don't even like each other until they find out about their past. If they didn't have their past, their wouldn't be Usagi and Mamoru unlike the manga and live action where Mamoru and Usagi like each other before they find out who they really are.
Yeah, that's a lot of my problem too. I just plain don't believe in destiny IRL, so the whole "omg we're destined to be together, and therefore, that's why we're together" thing just irks me.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Musashi wrote:Or Motoki?
I'd rather have Makoto with Mokoti, but that is just me. Anyway, in the PGSM version, I think they end up getting together. Also, I could have sworn that Minako had a crush on him in her manga storyline?
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:28 am

Kameko wrote:The problem I have with Mamoru's and Usagi's relationship in the anime is that they don't even like each other until they find out about their past. If they didn't have their past, their wouldn't be Usagi and Mamoru unlike the manga and live action where Mamoru and Usagi like each other before they find out who they really are.
People, in real life, have in the past became couples despite a unfavorable first contact experience. Removing the Mamoru/Usagi past life destiny factor would not rule out the uncertainy they would not get together. There was in first season before knowing eachother's identites Usagi and Mamoru displayed affection toward one another. If not affection, then comradeship.

Origiri
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Origiri » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:19 am

I think their initial meeting was that bad so it was really funny, the show needed that much humour, at least! And you know that people who initially hate each other can later fall in a great love!

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:00 pm

I think I like Mamoru and Usagi's relationship best in the first season. After that, I found it to be boring and it seemed like Mamoru was only really there because he needed to be.

I liked in the beginning how they didn't get along. It's better than all those other magical girl anime's where the main girl and boy are either already a couple and have a sugary sweet perfect relationship (blech!) or where the girl has a crush on some guy, spends the whole series thinking about him, and then towards the end of the season, he ends up being the magical knight that saves them everytime in battle.

Some people think that Mamoru was a jerk in the first season with the way that he treated Usagi. But then think about his situation, he was a college guy that suddenly found himself attracted to a junior high schooler. Maybe he though being mean to her would somehow change his feelings. And there were some sweet moments. What about in episode 46 when, while he was dying, he told Usagi to go home and find herself a cool boyfriend?

After the classic season, and moreso after R, I just didn't find him interesting anymore.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:40 am

Musashi wrote:Or Motoki?
It's a shame that Usagi dropped her crush on Motoki after the first season. I always liked their relationship, and there's virtually no interaction between the two after Classic (probably because he shows up in a grand total of six or seven episodes after that).

Mamoru. Hmm...

Origiri
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Origiri » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:10 am

I think Motoki only thought Usagi as a 'funny little girl', or something like a little sister, nothing more.

I agree that I find Mamoru boring after season R, too!

sailorceres
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailorceres » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:35 am

ok so we all agree amamoru was a bit of a jerk but he and usagi are meant to be so there isnt even a point in arguing, though i do agree that he could have been nicer sometmes. however, did u guys watch the episode were mamrou flies of to america to study abroad? the moment with mamo-chan and usagi is way to cute. even though he is a jerk to her inr, after that he really makes up for it! remember when they first met they HATED each other...
Aitto Seigi, Sailor no Bishojo Senshi, Seera Mun! Tsukini Kawatte, Oshioki Yo!

Jared
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Jared » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:19 am

A few people in this thread seem to have a problem with the way Mamoru treated Usagi in Sailor Moon R, so here's my two cents on the matter...

I completely understand that some of you feel he could have been nicer to her or at least somewhat tried to explain the situation to her, but I was under the impression he was trying to get her to stop loving him, and the only way he'd do that was by being a jerk. If he just explained himself then she'd still have had the same feelings for him. I'm thinking that by being a jerk he wanted her to go "Well, forget you then..." and give up on him so that she wouldn't get hurt. Even if his thinking wasn't exactly rational, it seems he did have good intentions.

Also, we see several times that doing this to Usagi upsets Mamoru as well, so it's not like he's doing it without any feeling. It hurts him as much as it does Usagi, and it's pretty apparent that he wants to be with her to and is only trying to do what he thinks is best.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:50 pm

While I agree with some peoples opinions on why Mamoru comes off as a jerk in this thread. My feelings on this is anyone who has read the manga and watched the anime can see how blantantly they made him appear more cold. Now some have said this is because he didnt want to hurt Usagi or was in conflict of his feelings but then why play the destiny thing? In the manga though it seems shorter because it was only a page, they did have conflict, but it did not last long there feelings slowly developed. And I dont think it was just because they were long lost lovers, there was an attraction there something I dont think the anime could have expressed well anyway considering the age difference.

But to me they could have still left in the side of Mamoru who was actually proud of Usagi as she grew stronger. Specially after the reconcile after the R series. I dont think I can recall anytime in the anime save when he became King Endymion that he spoke of his beloved's strength at all and that always bothered me. And towards the end it just really seemed like the love was more of Usagi's devotion to him and Mamoru just along for the ride, where in the manga you can clearly see he loves her.

One of my favorite parts is when he thought she was dead fighting Pharoh 90, his anguish was so much more pronounced in the books. But maybe its just me I just dont like how after the relationship was established how his character still seemed distant.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: I dont think I can recall anytime in the anime save when he became King Endymion that he spoke of his beloved's strength at all and that always bothered me. And towards the end it just really seemed like the love was more of Usagi's devotion to him and Mamoru just along for the ride, where in the manga you can clearly see he loves her.
He did in episode 73, "UFO Sighting! The Sailor Soldiers Kidnapped!", when Chibi-usa wakes up from her nightmare and she asks the Tuxedo Mask doll if Sailor Moon is strong and Mamoru replies, "Yeah, she's invincible." And later in Sailor Stars episode 197, "The Ruler Of The Galaxy, Galaxia's Threat", when they flashback to Mamoru's Star Seed being stolen from Galaxia, she boasts about being the ruler of the galaxy and Mamoru tells her that there are Sailor Soldiers on the Earth who protect the peace and will defeat her just before he dies.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:03 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote: I dont think I can recall anytime in the anime save when he became King Endymion that he spoke of his beloved's strength at all and that always bothered me. And towards the end it just really seemed like the love was more of Usagi's devotion to him and Mamoru just along for the ride, where in the manga you can clearly see he loves her.
He did in episode 73, "UFO Sighting! The Sailor Soldiers Kidnapped!", when Chibi-usa wakes up from her nightmare and she asks the Tuxedo Mask doll if Sailor Moon is strong and Mamoru replies, "Yeah, she's invincible." And later in Sailor Stars episode 197, "The Ruler Of The Galaxy, Galaxia's Threat", when they flashback to Mamoru's Star Seed being stolen from Galaxia, she boasts about being the ruler of the galaxy and Mamoru tells her that there are Sailor Soldiers on the Earth who protect the peace and will defeat her just before he dies.

hmm I dont remember them then again im rewatching the episodes from the begining so thanks Cardcaptor, I honestly didnt recall him speaking fondly of her powers in the anime though and thats one of the things that had bothered me the most but if they did then I take back that statement partially. I still think he could have been less colder seeming once the love was there but its a tough issue considering how the anime was marketted. They probably had a rough time trying to pass their relationship in the first place because of him being older. I dunno though cant get into the heads of the people behind creating the animated series so its all just guessing.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....