Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

sailor_dream1414
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailor_dream1414 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:13 pm

oh.i hope tokyopop donsnt give up. i reallyw ant to see the renew edition of the manga.im trying to complete my sailor moon manga book collection

Bubbles36
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Bubbles36 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere...
I have managed to get copies of manga in English via the Net as I wanted to see how these differed from the anime ( I had watched the live action which I understand is nearer to the anime).

I was shocked to see that the names used are those for the American dub - Melvin, Molly, although I prefer Bunny to Serena. javascript:emoticon(':x')
Mad
Is this true of all the manga in English? The Sailor Moon classic is from Mixx Zine c.1997.

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:49 am

The manga and the anime differ a LOT. It starts out really similar, in fact the first chapter of the manga and the first episode of the anime are almost exactly the same. But once you get to Jupiter's introduction in the manga, that's where things really differ. That and the manga has a much quicker pace, whereas the anime has a lot of filler, particularly when the team only has Moon, Mercury, and Mars.

As for the rest of the seasons, they're just different. For R it's still the same basic storyline for the most part, but even with that there are differences. S is even more different, and SuperS and Stars are just way off.

So yeah, don't expect the manga and the anime to be the same. They definitely aren't. The manga also has a more depressing ending because... people actually die and stay dead. Not that I mind having them come back to life, buuut...
*~SailorStarfire07~*

"Robin, who is this girl? And why does she call you, ''''poo?''''"
~Starfire, Teen Titans

Bubbles36
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Bubbles36 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:37 am

Thanks very much :)

What I wanted to know is if the manga (translations) use the dub names and if so, any idea why? After moving onto watching subbed I find those names irritating!

(also worried that this may be a comic of the dub, but I should read more to find out).

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:41 am

while ive posted several rants on the differences between the manga and the anime i'll try to help your question.

K most of the name changes from the manga to the english version of the series is done to make the story seem more american. In the anime from Japan the character generally keep their name. If your reading the manga and see the name Bunny you are reading the english adaptation of the manga by mixx which generally uses the english meaning of some of their names. Like Usagi is called Bunny, though Mako is called Lita, Mamoru is called Darien Shields, though Ami and Rei and Minako though shortened to Mina keep their names. That was alot of fans big problem with the english translations of the series, it seemed pretty sloppy to change names on some and not others. There was also abit of controversy over the whole shape/gender changing abilities of both Zorcite who disguised himself as a woman in the manga to get the Silver Crystal, and Haruka who in one panel in the english version is discribed by Michiru as being able to transform into a man. Alot of sources say that line was taken out of context and the original only stated that Haruka didnt believe there was much difference between males and females and her appearance was a testiment to that. And she wanted to prove to Makoto that it didnt matter who her opponent was.

There were plenty of significant changes though and all over these forums there are topics covering the changes and im a major culprit of many posts so I wont repeat my rants here. I have my own site if you ever want to click on the button provided by this forums to check out some of the differences ive listed personally. Though I will warn you been working on the site so many sections are taken down for grammar errors and fact checking.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

yamichan2
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by yamichan2 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:16 am

Oh. I do hope they rerelease it. My set is falling apart, even though they are all in plastic covers. And a friend of mine is still trying to get all of them.

Mind you she wants the spanish editions but I doubt she'll mind getting the american ones if it means she can get them all.
Find me on www.gaiaonline.com! :P

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:though Ami and Rei and Minako though shortened to Mina keep their names. .
Not exactley true. All the inner senshi (excluding Usagi who is called Bunny,though Serena is suppose to be her real name in the english manga) get their dub names. Ami is spell Amy like in the dub as is Rei to Raye.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:18 am

yes but closest to the sound I meant, besides its better to see Ami as Amy then Makoto as Lita IMO. Where did they pull that name from? Im still wondering. They couldnt have called her Mako for short like they did Minako? Either way the name changes Mixx did made absolutely no sense, and though I have all the manga now in most forms (from comics the run from 1-35) to all the pocketmanga it still bugs me and makes me wish for retranslated versions. I hope if Tokyopop does rerelease it that they find a better translator to work on it or i'll just keep my old collection and wont spend money on this. That or finally start using that rosetta stone program and learn japanese ^_^
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:30 pm

I don't know the exact reason why Mixx used the DiC names in the English manga, but I think it may have to do with how anime and manga wasn't very popular back when the Sailor Moon manga was first released in English. Back then the Sailor Moon anime was more popular with kids who had only experienced the dub, so perhaps Mixx thought the manga would have been more successful if they used the English names which would have been more familiar with younger readers?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I don't know the exact reason why Mixx used the DiC names in the English manga, but I think it may have to do with how anime and manga wasn't very popular back when the Sailor Moon manga was first released in English. Back then the Sailor Moon anime was more popular with kids who had only experienced the dub, so perhaps Mixx thought the manga would have been more successful if they used the English names which would have been more familiar with younger readers?
Probably. I don't think anime/manga in general was that mainstream and I think the manga was released in NA when Sailor Moon was starting to get really popular. What really bothered me is "Noako side notes" They have Noako using dub names (talking about Darien,the scouts etc) A false interview and more crap half the stuff you can tell didn't come from Noako and Mixx just pulled out of their ass.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:45 pm

HighC wrote:
Probably. I don't think anime/manga in general was that mainstream and I think the manga was released in NA when Sailor Moon was starting to get really popular. What really bothered me is "Noako side notes" They have Noako using dub names (talking about Darien,the scouts etc) A false interview and more crap half the stuff you can tell didn't come from Noako and Mixx just pulled out of their ass.
It could very well have come from Naoko, and was just edited to Americanize it. It probably wasn't just blindly made up.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:31 pm

Tiff wrote:
HighC wrote:
It could very well have come from Naoko, and was just edited to Americanize it. It probably wasn't just blindly made up.
Okay I think I was exaggerating a bit. But I don't think Noako actually said some of the stuff they put in. For example her commenting on Sailor Moon being back on Cartoon Network in America,Smile releasing a Sailor Moon novel (you know those sailor moon novels that had too much product placement) and not being able to wait to read it. Adressing the mixx readers as Mixxers etc.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:56 pm

I read the manga online, and I was disappointed, I read the Mixx version. I hope a company like Tokyopop gets the rights and translates the manga correctly and rerelease it again.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Wed May 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Aren't Tokyopop and Mixx the same company?

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Wed May 07, 2008 7:31 pm

HighC wrote:Aren't Tokyopop and Mixx the same company?
Yes, according to Wikipedia.
Wikipedia wrote:Tokyopop, formerly known as Mixx, is a distributor, licensor, and publisher of anime, manga, and Original English-language manga in English, German, and Japanese. Tokyopop is incorporated in Tokyo, Japan, with headquarters in Los Angeles, California and branches in the UK and Germany. Tokypop products are available internationally.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 pm

Oh I see, I did not know that. Anyways I hope that if there is ever a rerelease of the manga, I would want it to be better translated.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Thu May 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Wow I'm so excited to see this! Even though I have all the manga I'm looking forward to collect the new SM Manga!
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!