Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Nocturne
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: North Carolina

Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

Post by Nocturne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:39 am

At the Anime Next Expo, Tokyopop apparently said that they will re-distribute the manga! Hopefully they will retranslate it, but regardless, this is very exicitng news!

Source:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=323

User avatar
Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:42 am

The article refers to it as a long-term project, which is good--maybe it'll get the full Tokyopop treatment. I like Tokyopop for the most part, except for their logo on the spine.

I'm actually more interested in the Labyrinth sequel and Dark Crystal prequel. I wasn't too keen on another movie, but a manga would be great.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

490

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 am

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:07 am

Yes!!!!!!! This is awesome!!!!!!!!!! If it is translated well, no name changes, and no editing, then I will for sure get it. A little off topic, but is there anything you can use to protect your manga?

User avatar
_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

Post by _Alexander_ » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:14 am

Nocturne wrote:At the Anime Next Expo, Tokyopop apparently said that they will re-distribute the manga! Hopefully they will retranslate it, but regardless, this is very exicitng news!

Source:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=323
Just a thought, doesn't this mean that the "dispute" between Nako-sama and Toei is ending? I mean, if they are releasing the manga, then they need licenses. A Swedish magazine named Manga Mania wanted to do a reportage on Sailor Moon but couldn't even use pictures of the anime because of the dispute.
Just a thought I had, or more like me hoping. :wink:

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 am

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:17 am

^Could this mean that a SM rebirth is possible?? Like a television one?

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Re: Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

Post by Umino » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:19 am

_Alexander_ wrote:Just a thought, doesn't this mean that the "dispute" between Nako-sama and Toei is ending?
Dispute? I don't think there ever was a problem with Toei and Mrs. Takeuchi. (aside from you know, being a bit upset with some changes in the anime)

Good to hear they'll be re-releasing it. Although this problemly means they're re-releasing the original manga, not the new editions.

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 am

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:02 am

It it bad b/c we'll spend more money b/c it is 18 volumes instead of 12? I don't care either way, just as long as I get it.

User avatar
_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

Post by _Alexander_ » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:06 am

Umino wrote:
_Alexander_ wrote:Just a thought, doesn't this mean that the "dispute" between Nako-sama and Toei is ending?
Dispute? I don't think there ever was a problem with Toei and Mrs. Takeuchi. (aside from you know, being a bit upset with some changes in the anime)

Good to hear they'll be re-releasing it. Although this problemly means they're re-releasing the original manga, not the new editions.
From what I've heard, there were disputes between them regarding contracts. No country outside of Japan couldn't buy any contracts regarding anything of Sailor Moon. These are pretty reliable sources I got it from.
Another, less reliable source said that it was because Naoko Takeuchi didn't get much money from the ADV release of season 1 and 2 for example.
I don't know if it's really true or not but it might be and it would definately explain some things. None of them wants to say anything and are just typically Japanese polite and pretends like nothing is going on.

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 am

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:07 am

If contracts couldn't be handed over, then how did we get a Geneon and ADV release?

User avatar
MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Baldwinsville, NY
Contact:

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:10 am

Because this has only beed for the past few years. There were contracts many years ago, but a couple years ago, Toei refused to allow extensions to any existing contract as well as refusing new contracts.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08


This list seems to keep on growing. =(

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 am

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:25 am

What are the chances of the manga being colored and not black and white? I would really like the manga colored.

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:34 am

Highly unlikely, considering that they were originally produced in black and white (or grayscale, depending on how you call it), and colorizing something like that would be far too much work for what it's worth.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 am

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:38 am

Darn it! Oh well black and white manga is better than nothing...

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Re: Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

Post by Umino » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm

_Alexander_ wrote: From what I've heard, there were disputes between them regarding contracts. No country outside of Japan couldn't buy any contracts regarding anything of Sailor Moon. These are pretty reliable sources I got it from.
Another, less reliable source said that it was because Naoko Takeuchi didn't get much money from the ADV release of season 1 and 2 for example.
I don't know if it's really true or not but it might be and it would definately explain some things. None of them wants to say anything and are just typically Japanese polite and pretends like nothing is going on.
I still don't buy any of Naoko/Toei rumors. Remeber when everyone started to say we didn't episode 67 because of Mrs. Takeuchi? Yeah, it's problemly Toei just being Toei. They're known for doing stupid shit in America.

User avatar
_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Tokyopop Rereleasing Manga

Post by _Alexander_ » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:11 pm

Umino wrote:
_Alexander_ wrote: From what I've heard, there were disputes between them regarding contracts. No country outside of Japan couldn't buy any contracts regarding anything of Sailor Moon. These are pretty reliable sources I got it from.
Another, less reliable source said that it was because Naoko Takeuchi didn't get much money from the ADV release of season 1 and 2 for example.
I don't know if it's really true or not but it might be and it would definately explain some things. None of them wants to say anything and are just typically Japanese polite and pretends like nothing is going on.
I still don't buy any of Naoko/Toei rumors. Remeber when everyone started to say we didn't episode 67 because of Mrs. Takeuchi? Yeah, it's problemly Toei just being Toei. They're known for doing stupid shit in America.
Yeah, probably. But they are so stubborn about everthing. A company in Sweden called Bonnier Carlsen wanted to publish the original manga in late 2004 but couldn't get the rights because of the license thing and now America can get the manga? That sounds a bit odd to me. I really HOPE that this has everything to do with the whole licenses about the anime and the manga so we can finally get the show back on air.
Here in Sweden they have only dubbed Classic and R so I wan't the other seasons to come here, they wanted to buy the rights in 2004 but weren't allowed to. :?

User avatar
Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:25 pm

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:11 pm

This doesn't really tell us whether we will be getting the new updated version and new translations, but I am hopeful. Maybe we will even get the original names.

User avatar
jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Southeast Louisiana

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:03 pm

I too am hoping for a closer-to-the-original translation, but I think that I can honestly say that the only thing that excites me more about the re-release is that they will likely have a better binding job on the books themselves. I don't know about anyone else, but my copies have pages literally falling out.

User avatar
Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA.
Contact:

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:24 pm

I really hope that this is all true and that there will be a re-release of the Sailor Moon manga. Even if it's still flipped and the same translation as before, I'll still buy it anyway, though I'd much prefer them to re-release it unflipped with a revised translation and the original names. I didn't buy it the first time it was released because I didn't like the original English translation, but now I sort of regret it because I've been wanting to read the manga for a long time. I agree that I hope they'll at least have better binding. My copy of volume 18 has completely fallen apart and is beyond repair.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:33 pm

jupiter23 wrote:I too am hoping for a closer-to-the-original translation, but I think that I can honestly say that the only thing that excites me more about the re-release is that they will likely have a better binding job on the books themselves. I don't know about anyone else, but my copies have pages literally falling out.

Yah, my volume 4 is in the worst condition with 4/5 of the pages falling out. Many of my other ones are in pretty bad condition especially volume 1 because I've had it the longest. Oh, it brings back memories, but I won't go off topic.

User avatar
*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:50 pm
Location: Florida

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 pm

I am so happy that Tokyopop has decided to re-release Sailor Moon. Although I have the majority of the manga, I have been going crazy trying to find the rest of the volumes I need and with this re-release, it will make my search a lot easier. I honestly don't care whether they make any changes to it or not (it would be nice if the proper adjustments were made though) because I'm just so overly excited about the possibility that it's gonna be on store shelves again! *jumps up and down*

Locked