Funny dub lines not already mentioned on SMU's website

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:11 pm

Artemis wrote:Mina: What's the matter with kids these days?
Artemis: Spoken like a true old bag!
-"Kindergarten Chaos"

That line had me laughing my ass off. Maybe it's just because I love Artemis so much, but I don't know, I just liked it. ^_^
I like the lines right before that more..

Boy #1: Get lost, you old bag.
Mina: Me? An old bag?
Boy #2: Yeah, a stinky, crinkled-up, old lunch bag!

I forget the next two lines, but it involved a third boy making fun of Mina, then Mina yells at them to leave. That cracked me up the first I saw it.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:47 am

My line itself wasn't especially funny, but the delivery was, and I also think it seems out of place. It's from the...third?...episode of SuperS, when Rini's remembering her parents. She says something, then continues on with, "and mom says she misses me like CRAZY." :lol: I'm not exactly sure why it's funny, other than she puts the emphasis on "crazy" and it's just...odd. My friends and I now use that phrase a lot, "miss you like CRAZY." I think it's also sort of OOC for Neo Queen Serenity to say something like that? Maybe?
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Sailor Moon
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Moon » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:50 am

Chibi Son Gokou wrote:Morga: I SHALL RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay, when?
Oh My God! That has to be the funniest thing I've seen all day! I remember that! I just died laughing hearing this. None of the other youma/droids/daimons/lemures have ever said they shall return. Oh, the term "Heart Snatchers" in the dub makes me think fo Care Bears. I watch my Japanese fansubs so often, whenever I see the dub now, the term heart snatchers catches me off guard. Anyway, that was hilarious. Morga always scared the crap out of me. Have you ever seen anythign uglier. Oh, for the sub, Dicerway (Dic and Cloverway) team up to do stars and say "Oh crap! All the fans are expecting Morga to return... I know!let's put her/it in a random stars episode!

Stars airs in America. Instead of the theme song, when you're expecting to hear Makenai! you ehre "She's Got The Power" played, because DiCerWay doesn't want a *Gasp* Japanese song to reach the virgin ears of the innocent children who are now mature adults who watched it as a kid. Hey, what else do they choose?

Stars airs, in random episode, they draw Morga in.

*Morga comes back*

Morga: Hi guys!

Everyone: Ahh! You're not supposed to return as a starseed! YOu look scary! WAAAAAAAH!

Morga: Dude, I told you I'd be back.

Everyone: Ahhh! Go away Morga!

Morga: I SHALL RETURN!!!

DiCerWay: Dude, it took us about ten years to find Morga's voice actress again.

Employee 1: Well, we could have just used the old Hiromi... uh... I mean... (I've been watching too many subs lately, don't tell Lumby...) err... Lori voice and give her an awful southern accent.

Employee 2: We already made the actress who did Lori's voice do Taiki...er.. Tanya...

Employee 3: So that's why the forehead dude has that awful southern accent... wait... you made Taiki into a full time girl?

Employee 2: Yeah, the Starlights are everyone in Tokyo's cousins returning. Their all so happy to see them.

Employee 1 : Uh... yeah... right...

Employee 4: Remember, the Three Lights are called The Three Starrs.

Employee 5: Oh yeah, and the enemy dudes are called the NegaScouts.

Employee 4: Yeah... and we had to have Zoisite's voice doing an enemy in each season, so Zoisite's voice is doing Galaxia.

Employee 1: So that's where that awful laugh comes from.

Employee 3: Oh yeah, Naru... I mean.. Molly's broklyn accent is given to Tin Nyanko.

Employee 1: Great...

Employee 6: Hey, employee's one and three, how many subs have myou been watching lately?

Employee 1: Um...

Employee 6: You redered all these fansubs!?!? We'll have to confenscate them.

Employee 1: NOOOO!

Lori's voice actress: Well, desperate thams cawl fo desperate meahshas.

Employee 1: Just kill me now.

Lori's voice acresss: I neeeed that peeeeencaaaayl!

Employee: Great, so Morga's back. Shoot! We have to amke her return again. Uh, let's do a random episode.

Morga: My brookyn accented fake daugther will be doooooooomed!

Employee: Um, you mean taken to the NegaGalaxy. That's where everyone goes. It's a big room in an apartment all the NegaScouts trap everyone in.

Morga: Mwaaaa!

Everyone: Ahhhh!

Sorry to get off topic, i just had to do that. Anyway, they can say she/it comes back during the recaps, but that would ruin the joke.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:42 pm

Sailor Moon wrote: Stars airs in America. Instead of the theme song, when you're expecting to hear Makenai! you ehre "She's Got The Power" played, because DiCerWay doesn't want a *Gasp* Japanese song to reach the virgin ears of the innocent children who are now mature adults who watched it as a kid. Hey, what else do they choose?
Thats funny, since Cloverway left two Japanese songs in. Yuuichiro's song (can't recall the name right now), and the second SuperS ending (it played during the episode Ami's dream got checked)

As for funny lines, I didn't really thought about this until my mom said something. I decided to watch the dub version of episode 92, since for some reason I liked it. And my mom thought this one line was soooooo corny.

"Your lincense come from a cereal box?!"- Sailor Venus

Sailor Moon
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Moon » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:23 pm

I said if they combined.
Usagi and Mamoru are my favorite couple ever. Usagi and Mamoru forever!

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu May 20, 2004 8:58 pm

I rented the DVD of the first 7 episodes of S tonight, and feeling masochistic, watched the Cloverway dub for the first time. I had to pause the DVD and laugh for 5 minutes when Sailor Uranus, after the mechanic had his heart crystal taken by the car-themed daimon, introduces herself by saying:

"I am the knock in your engine!"

I half-excpected her to follow up with, "I am the terror that flaps in the night!" Man, they really robbed her character of all the culture and elegance. It was well worth it, though, and I plan on buying the thinpacks and subjecting myself to further torture.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Thu May 20, 2004 9:59 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote: I half-excpected her to follow up with, "I am the terror that flaps in the night!"
::snickers uncontrolably::
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Sun May 23, 2004 11:12 am

Ooh! I thought of more!
(I don't remember exactly how they go)

Serena: Get lost, you crazy nut!
Villain: Actually, I happen to be a nut CRACKER.
I laughed so hard at that.

Fisheye: Sailor Moon, you can't stand up to the power of my deadly horsie!
DEAR GOD!! Me and my friends were cracking up so badly at that.
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:09 am

I had heard from reviews about the S movie dub that the Snow Dancers' sounded like chihuahua dogs. Now that I finally saw it, :lol:! It made me crack up rolling on the floor laughing for hours! :lol:

Edit:
By the way, SMU said in their review that they used bad cues for the Outers' transformations. Well, on this DVD here it's the original Japanese cue. Did they use a bad cue for the TV version? :?

By the way, the way Uranus yells her attack sounds like:

Your Anus World Shaking! :lol:

Vesta
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Vesta » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:18 pm

Also from the S movie, when Kakeru first sees the ice comet through his telescope:

"Hello!"

The way he said this was hilarious! It was more like a 'HEL-lo!', as if he were picking up a chick or something.

denizenofevil
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Which parts of the English dub cracked you up the most?

Post by denizenofevil » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:43 am

Sorry if this topic already exists. I found it quite humorous that they chose to portray Haruka and Michiru as cousins. As i watched the hand scene and some of the other scenes (sorry, i can't remember what episodes) i cracked up and thought, who does that with their cousin?! Not only were they portrayed as cousins, but they were portrayed as lesbian cousins who loved each other.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:43 am

Serena saying "I am the countess teacup" in order to get into a posh party cracked me up. I cant remember the episode though.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:24 pm

ADMIN MODE:

There IS already a topic for funny dub lines, and please use the search feature in the future to find multiple topics.

Topic merged.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 am

I can't remember the actual lines but it's the Nightmare in Dreamland episode when they are on the "panda express" and Usagi/Serena stands up and yells at Darien: "And why are you playing choo-choo anyway?!" and then proceeds to tell the driver that they need to lose some "dead weight" back there!! I crack up each time, especially seeing Darien turn red like that.

And just hearing the words "Bureau of Bad Behavior" from S makes me laugh and spew at the same time......*excuse me while I wipe the blood from my ears*.....

edit: I typed in Bad Business Bureau instead of Bureau of Bad Behavior.....that's what i get for multitasking while typing.......
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:00 pm

I always wondered why Darien was on that train, anyway. Some of my favorite funny dub lines: Episode 30. "He is Tuxedo Mask, I don't believe it." It's just the way Serena delivers this line that cracks me up. Another one of my favorites is in episode 33. "You must not slurp, slurping will not be tolerated!" I have no idea why, but that line was just effing hilarious.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:00 pm

I love the episode when Serena first sees Rini in her house and does that little tap dance, go berserk move and yells "SINCE WHEN DID WE HAVE A COUSIN NAMED RINI?!" It's the way she says it that makes me laugh.

Also, it's not the lines that make me laugh, but dubbers voice for the Priest that Naru talks to after Nephrite dies. It is so horrible that you just have to laugh, otherwise you'd go mad.
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

bushinoki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bushinoki » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 am

Didn't they give him that stereotypical Irish accent? I don't have the dubbed version readily available, so I can't just look it up.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 pm

I always liked the line in No ordinary horespower:

Rini: (To Tigerseye) How dare you prey on the feelings of a young girl with a problem your good looks don't mean diddly.

and in Tough kindness:

Darien: (To Serena) You said you were cold I figured I could just go inside and make you some hot chocolate or something.

and later on

Darian: (To Rini) Aw Rini let's go inside and make ourselves at home we'll have some hot chocolate.

Darien luuurves hot chocolate.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:03 pm

Another dub line I thought was hilarious was in English episode 76 when Serena finds out she's Neo Queen Serenity. Serena: Neo Queen Serenity, queen of Crystal Tokyo in the future and the entire planet?! Does she always wear her nightgown in public?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:36 pm

From Crystal Clear Destiny

Darien:(concerning his amnesia) I'm not even sure if my real name is Darien.

Right because the doctors,social workers,and anyone else working his case wouldn't have documented information on him, they just told him that was his name buecause they felt like it. Add to the fact that even in the days of the silver millenium his name was still Darien, the whole line was just stupid/funny