The Problems with Sailor Stars

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:42 pm

N/A
Last edited by #1SailorMoonFan on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:35 pm

DragonMasterZero wrote:
sailorperkytoot123 wrote:Another thing I have to mention is Galaxia. If I were Sailor Moon I could not take someone seriously who was dressed like that. I would burst out laughing.
Galaxia looks funny? Have you seen Sailor Moon? I'm surprised the villains don't die of laughter, its a fairly ridiculous outfit, and shes a 14 year old thats less than 5 feet tall. I dont think I could stop laughing if I saw her try to threaten me in RL
Yes you have a point, but Usagi was 16 at that time. Anyway, back on topic, I believe that Chaos said something like all the other villains were copies of her who were ll drawn to Sailormoon because of the shine of her star seed, the Silver Crystal. (It was something like that. Sorry if I'm wrong. Its been a while since I read the manga)

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:26 am

Does anyone own the Sailor Stars DVD set? I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Does anyone have little problems with the subtitles on their DVDS? I hope I'm not the only one. Thanks.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:56 pm

SailorMoonFan wrote:Does anyone own the Sailor Stars DVD set? I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Does anyone have little problems with the subtitles on their DVDS? I hope I'm not the only one. Thanks.
??

Did you order bootlegs or the Region 2 DVDs? If you bought the region 2 DVDs, they don't have subtitles...

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:42 am

I loved Sailor Stars, don't get me wrong. I thought the animation, music and humor was great. It was nice to get to know the inner senshi a bit better. Overall, I enjoyed that.

However, I do have major complaints when it comes to that season. Like many of you, I really really wanted to see Mamoru and Usagi get married. That was the high point of the manga for me and I so wanted to see that in the anime too. Everything from the proposal in bed to the actual wedding always made me so happy in the manga.

I was a bit upset that they never showed the whole journey to the Galaxy Caldron. There were some awesome senshi. Like Sailor Heavy Metal Papillon, Sailors Phi and Chi and Sailors Lethe and Mnemosyne. Oh and having the Inner and Outer Senshi brought back to fight Sailor Moon was also something I would have liked to see. Oh and seeing them in their eternal fuku.

There should have been more of Princess Kakyuu. She had some great moves in the manga.

Chibichibi was good in Stars. I did like her, but I really didn't like her as Galaxia's star seed. I prefered her as Sailor Cosmos. She put so much perspective on Sailor Moon and the burden of being a soldier. And the fact that she would go to such lengths to try to change what she thought was a mistake and to support her past self. I woudl have liked it better if this had been worked in.

Asteroid Senshi! We needed to see the Asteroid Senshi and Chibi Moon again.

All in all, I just wish they could have kept these elements. The last season really needed to be something that was very climatic and amazing. And also tie everything together.

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:14 am

DreamEmpress wrote:There should have been more of Princess Kakyuu. She had some great moves in the manga.
I agree with you 100%. There definetely should have been more of Princess Kakyuu. The starlights spent the whole season looking for her and she appeared just as fast as she left. You'd think that such focus on finding a character would give them more air time when they finally appeared. Overall, this season is one of my favorites but I felt like Princess Kakyuu got the shaft.

Crecent beam
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Crecent beam » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:23 am

It's not really something that bothers me; I just noticed that in this season the concept of "pretty girl" is somehow ignored, abandoned, lef behind...

otakugirl17
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by otakugirl17 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:10 pm

I loved Stars, but it had many flaws that irked me. I felt that those six episodes wasted on the Nehelenia arc would have made a HUGE difference on the season. The Starlights would have appeared sooner thus giving them more character developement, more Seiya/Usagi moments, and Kakyuu appearing sooner thus giving her more than ONE episode.

The absence of Naru, Umino, Motoki, and Shingo who were there from the beginning. Seeing how this is the last season, you would think they would be around.

The absence of Chibiusa. I really wanted to see her reaction to Seiya's crush on Usagi and the look on his face when he finds she is Usagi's daughter. I know Mamoru was dead and she wouldn't exist at the time, but she appeared in the manga with the Sailor Quartet and Mamoru was killed right in front of Usagi( at least I THINK she did. It's been awhile since I read the manga).

The Outers should have been regulars instead of appearing every 10 episodes. Why aren't Haruka and Michiru in school? That's a plot hole I've been trying to figure out. Also, how was Setsuna able to get Hotaru from Tomoe? How is Setsuna even alive after what happened in S?

Also, I got really annoyed in episode 180 how Uranus and Neptune ruined the almost truce between Moon and the Starlights. You would think after S they would agree with Usagi's judgement. Then again, Usagi is so naive and trusting that it might have been a good thing, but it's obvious the Starlights weren't working for Galaxia. Then they blew off Kakyuu's plead to help her find the Light of Hope. When will those two get it that they have a common enemy? After S, you think these two would have learned.

I found the animates(except for Aluminum Siren) to be the most boring villians. They didn't last long like the other villians and weren't interesting to watch like the previous villians. Aluminum Siren was killed off too quickly compared to the other animates. She was the most succesful at finding the senshi's identities and almost captured Moon's star seed at the same time. Her plan of how she lured Usagi into her trap by blackmailing her of revealing her identity left me in suspense. If only Galaxia had given her a chance before killing her.

The Starlights were another problem. I liked them (especially Taiki) and the gender bending didn't bother me. It was actually pretty smart because no one would suspect them of being senshi, but contradicted that only women could be senshi.

What REALLY bothered me about the Starlights was how the anime tried TOO HARD to make them like the Outer Senshi. They made them so stubborn I wanted to smack them( really Yaten and Taiki) especially in episodes 189-196.

They treated Usagi, who made them laugh and have hope in completing their mission and who they were so nice to in the previous episodes, like crap even when Usagi admitted fault for Seiya's injury. Even after Kakyuu finally appeared and asked the senshi for help, Taiki and Yaten still refused to work with them even after KAKYUU( their freaking PRINCESS who they spent the whole season searching for) ordered them to.

It took the Inners having to jump in front of them and have their freaking star seeds taken to get them to finally believe in Sailor Moon. Again, I'm talking about Yaten and Taiki. By this point, Seiya was the only one who seemed to got the message that the senshi weren't a threat to them and their mission.

In the manga, the Starlights were not at all hostile to the senshi nor were the Outers to the Starlights. They even spent most of the manga willingly HELPING Usagi remember that Mamoru is dead and protecting her after her senshi were killed while trying to fight the animates and Galaxia. The anime should have portrayed these Starlights instead of a 'wannabe Outers' Starlights.

One last pet peeve I have of Stars is WHY Eternal Sailor Moon had wings, but never freaking USED them. What's the point of having them if she can't use them? That got on my NERVES in espisodes 198 and 199 were she kept falling without even making an ATTEMPT to fly. Instead she had to constantly be caught by Figher, which isn't bad since I'm a Seiya/Usagi fan, but STILL. She flew in the manga. Why not in the anime?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:57 pm

otakugirl17 wrote:

The Outers should have been regulars instead of appearing every 10 episodes. Why aren't Haruka and Michiru in school?
o.O who says they weren't?
Also, I got really annoyed in episode 180 how Uranus and Neptune ruined the almost truce between Moon and the Starlights. You would think after S they would agree with Usagi's judgement. Then again, Usagi is so naive and trusting that it might have been a good thing, but it's obvious the Starlights weren't working for Galaxia. Then they blew off Kakyuu's plead to help her find the Light of Hope. When will those two get it that they have a common enemy? After S, you think these two would have learned.
Considering the fact that it's the outer senshis' JOB to protect invaders into the solar system, the appearance of aliens such as the starlights obviously put them on guard. Hell, I can't say I blame them. Some random new enemy is attacking the planet, and then these random three new people show up? And the starlights never WANTED to help Usagi, either! In fact, Seiya was the only one who even remotely wanted to help. The others were against it. How is that any different from the outers? NONE of them trusted eachother, except Usagi.

The Starlights were another problem. I liked them (especially Taiki) and the gender bending didn't bother me. It was actually pretty smart because no one would suspect them of being senshi, but contradicted that only women could be senshi.
No, it doesn't. The starlights are naturally female. As senshi, they're female. Therefore, it doesn't contradict anything. the maleness was nothing more than a CIVILIAN disguise. The starlights are BIOLOGICALLY FEMALE.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:13 am

I wish they would have used the manga version of it. When I read the manga version things make such more sense than the anime and espically the ending!
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Tiff wrote:
otakugirl17 wrote: The Starlights were another problem. I liked them (especially Taiki) and the gender bending didn't bother me. It was actually pretty smart because no one would suspect them of being senshi, but contradicted that only women could be senshi.
No, it doesn't. The starlights are naturally female. As senshi, they're female. Therefore, it doesn't contradict anything. the maleness was nothing more than a CIVILIAN disguise. The starlights are BIOLOGICALLY FEMALE.
O__o Wait, the Starlights are actually females? First off, is this in the manga or anime?
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:58 am

Considering the fact that it's the outer senshis' JOB to protect invaders into the solar system
Black Moon Clan must have attacked the time when the Outers went on vacation :D

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 am

bioengineer wrote:
Considering the fact that it's the outer senshis' JOB to protect invaders into the solar system
Black Moon Clan must have attacked the time when the Outers went on vacation :D
The Black Moon Clan is a group from Nemesis, which is in the solar system, just a far-out planet. Not to mention it DID show Pluto in the R season, that was where she first appeared.

And about the Starlights, they are originally female in both the anime and the manga. In the manga, they just crossdress as males. In the anime, like Tiff said, they actually turn themselves into males (gender change, like Ranma) for their civilian forms, and turn back into the female forms to be Senshi.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:18 pm

Sailor V wrote:
O__o Wait, the Starlights are actually females? First off, is this in the manga or anime?
Anime.

Yes, they are BIOLOGICALLY FEMALE.

As Rainbow said, they turn themselves into men as a disguise, but their TRUE, NATURAL, BIOLOGICAL, GENETIC form is Female.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:10 pm

I have a question, a bit off topic. My sailor stars dvd is obviously japapense with english subtitles. Only the subtitles dont always appear, a character will talk but no subtitles will come up. Is this just with bootlegs? Or does this happen with the originals as well? It gets kinda frustrating when u have no idea what the character is saying.

Opinions?
Im a bit rash and a crybaby, but Im actually an agent of love and justice, pretty sailor soldier, Sailor Moon!

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:53 pm

Starry Eyes wrote:I have a question, a bit off topic. My sailor stars dvd is obviously japapense with english subtitles. Only the subtitles dont always appear, a character will talk but no subtitles will come up. Is this just with bootlegs? Or does this happen with the originals as well? It gets kinda frustrating when u have no idea what the character is saying.

Opinions?
?

err... There are no official Stars DVDs w/ Eng subtitles. What you have is a bootleg.

If you have a good connection speed, just pick up the digisubs off of AnimeSuki.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Tiff wrote: Anime.

Yes, they are BIOLOGICALLY FEMALE.

As Rainbow said, they turn themselves into men as a disguise, but their TRUE, NATURAL, BIOLOGICAL, GENETIC form is Female.
Then how was Seiya attracted to Usagi?
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:26 pm

The same way Haruka and Michiru are attracted to each other. Seiya's a lesbian in her original, female form.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:28 pm

OK. I never realized that, but thanks for telling me now. I am such a friggin idiot. I wrote the Starlights as guys in my stories. I need to be disemboweled.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:37 am

Rainbow wrote:The same way Haruka and Michiru are attracted to each other. Seiya's a lesbian in her original, female form.
Really? Usagi and Seiya had the same relationship that Haruka and Michiru had? Didn't know Usagi swung that way.