Fiore's Sexuality

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Fiore's Sexuality

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu May 18, 2006 11:00 am

This is a question that I've been curious about for a while, but is Fiore from the R movie gay? The movie never outright says if he is or not, but I think there's enough evidence to support that he is. When Fiore sees Mamoru with Usagi and the other girls, he instantly becomes jealous and he starts holding Mamoru's hands in a very intimate like way like how Usagi or another girl would hold their boyfriend's hands. During the first battle with him, Fiore asks Mamoru why he's with this girl because she'll just end up leaving him alone. The fact that he mentions Usagi is a girl instead of just referring to her by name or "this person" leads me to believe that Fiore doesn't like women, which makes one wonder if Usagi was a boy, would Fiore be so upset to find Mamoru with her?

When Mamoru rejects Fiore towards the end of the movie to save Usagi, Fiore goes so far as to cause the asteroid to fall towards the earth to burn everyone on it up in the atmosphere. I think this reaction is a bit much if Fiore considered Mamoru to only be a friend. Of course, one has to also consider that Fiore never had any friends before, so he wouldn't know how to react if his only friend had rejected him, and he was under the influence of the Kisenian blossom at the time as well, but it still seems to be a bit too overboard just for friendship. I don't think Mamoru ever had any romantic feelings for Fiore, but the rose is often seen as a symbol of love. So, when Mamoru gave the rose to Fiore as a gift when they were children, I don't think he knew what the rose stood for, but Fiore might've mistook it as a sign that Mamoru was in love with him. Furthermore, the edited dub really goes out of its way to tone down Fiore's obssesion with Mamoru by constantly referring to Serena's relationship with Darien as a "friendship", when the dub has made it very clear on a number of occassions that Serena and Darien are more than just friends, and the R movie dub is the only place I know of that refers to their relationship as such.

This gives me the impression that Fiore's feelings for Mamoru is at least on the borderline of being feelings of love, since I don't see why the dub would have to tone down his obssesion if it wasn't. Having said this, I'm kind of surprised that there aren't very many Mamoru x Fiore fans out there. I know Mamoru's rejection of Fiore and the ending to the R movie might make this coupling a little difficult to happen, but that doesn't seem to stop other anime fandoms from grouping together male characters as a couple regardless of whether or not they have any feelings towards each other canon-wise. *coughgundamwingyaoicough* And Usagi x Seiya is still a popular Sailor Moon couple even though it's also an impossible relationship. However, I have yet to find any Mamoru x Fiore fanfics or fanart or even any Mamoru x Fiore fans at all. I personally like this coupling and even though it would never work in the Sailor Moon canon, I think it would be a nice alternative to Usagi x Mamoru should Usagi ever decide to leave Mamoru for any reason. So, do you think Fiore is gay or is he just really obssesed with being Mamoru's friend and what are your thoughts about Mamoru x Fiore in general?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu May 18, 2006 1:16 pm

I believe it is entirely possible that Fiore may be gay, but at the same time I don't think he is. Remember, Fiore was also the only friend Mamoru had at the time, so it seemed only natural that he would be upset at Fiore leaving, and therefore wanted him to have something to remember him by. And the rose was the only thing Mamoru did have to give to him.

There is also the factor of Fiore being a child when he landed on and subsequently left Earth. If he was alone for most of his life, he wouldn't really have had a lot of chances to explore his sexuality anyway. I think that the only sort of love Fiore may feel at all for Mamoru is in the way of friendship, and not in any way sexual. If you only had one person in your entire life that paid any attention to you at all, wouldn't you feel the same way?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu May 18, 2006 4:09 pm

I don't believe he's gay in the slightest. I believe he loves Mamoru as the only friend he's ever had, and that yes, Mamoru is the dearest person to him, but I don't think there are any sexual feelings or feelings of sexual/physical attraction toward Mamoru.

Fiore wants to keep Mamoru to himself becuase he cherishes him and fears being alone again, so when Usagi and the senshi want him back, that's why he appears posessive and "jealous".

I'm in agreement with jupiter23 that since Fiore met Mamoru as a child, it's kind of a stretch to bring sexuality into it. In all honestly, i'd say Fiore doens't even really have a sexuality, or that he hasn't discovered it yet.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Thu May 18, 2006 6:15 pm

I have seen the hand caressing used as a tool to argue that Fiore had romantic designs for Mamoru. Ami's comment on Mamoru being popular around the girls aswell as the guys is my favorite.

In truth, Fiore never did grow up. He left earth alone and returned in the mindset of a child and like a child had an immature view on life. When he saw Usagi he was jealous of her friendship with Mamoru and wanted him to be his only friend with no one else. Even if he did have a thing for Mamoru it would be hard to establish since most of the time throughout the movie, Firoe's actions and mind where influenced by the flower.

Dont look too much into things such as hand caressing and blushing as a guide for love interests in SM. If that where so, Usagi would have half a dozen boyfriends....or girlfriends.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu May 18, 2006 9:26 pm

I dont think Fiore is gay I think his feelings are a combination of Mamoru being the only one who was ever nice to him, and his emotions being amplified by kinsenean blossim (spelling?)

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Thu May 18, 2006 9:56 pm

I know that it's only theory, but Fiore shares quite the resemblance with Ail and En, so I don't see it as much of a stretch that he would share the obsession factor as well. Remember, Ail and En became obsessed with Usagi and Mamoru, but in the end it proved not to be romantic love. They were just unused to the concept of friendship and they mistook it for something else.

I think the situation here is quite similar. Fiore never experienced love or friendship. No one ever showed him kindness until Mamoru came along, so Fiore latched onto that one thing and protected it with a great amount of jealousy.

His emotions are so confused and misunderstood that sexuality is, quite possibly, not an issue at this point. That's not to say he couldn't be gay, I just haven't seen any rock solid proof that he has any sexual preference at all.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sun May 21, 2006 8:08 pm

To me, it seems obvious that he's gay. It's not in your face, and nobody comes out and says it, but that's the same treatment that Haruka and Michiru get. Everyone sort of dances around it and makes funny faces (like Usagi when Fiore holds Mamoru's hand at th botanical gardens). It seems like it would be more simple to just accept that he loves Mamoru rather than to create explanations about some obsessed form of friendship. That's my opinion, anyway.

I don't think the fact Mamoru and Fiore were only children when their friendship formed has any significance, really. I'm gay and when I was very young I had an intense friendship with another guy who, I found out years later, also turned out to be gay.

That said, I am a huge Mamoru x Fiore fan *points to R movie icon*. I wish there was more of a fan following for them out there. I know Ganymede, who runs the Tuxedo Kamen shrine Domino Effect, is a fan and he probably has some fanart or something.

artemis_is_my_dawg
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by artemis_is_my_dawg » Tue May 30, 2006 2:59 pm

I thought that too when I saw the movie, but I think what everyone else said how Darien was Fiore's only friend, so he was jealous when he saw Darien with other people. But, you just never know....

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Tue May 30, 2006 4:35 pm

When I first watched the dub version, I assumed all the references to friendship were thinly veiled refernces to homosexuality. I was quite surprised that the orginal also called it friendship.

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:02 pm

I think he doesn't know. He hasn't had much human interaction so he really can't know.

Sailor Rainbow
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sailor Rainbow » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:47 am

I can't remeber much about Fiore, I didn't see any homosexuality about him...mabye there wasn't or maybe there was...
:?:
:?

sailorceres
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailorceres » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:05 pm

i dont think he was ever gay he just had no friend except mamoru. he is just very emmotional toward him becaus eof this special bond they share but it is a friendhsip nothing more.

just becasue guys get friendly or emotional in anime it doesnt necessarily mean they are gya.
Aitto Seigi, Sailor no Bishojo Senshi, Seera Mun! Tsukini Kawatte, Oshioki Yo!

Origiri
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Origiri » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:19 am

I haven't watched the movie, but from what I hear, he may be gay:it would be no suprise, we already have Haruka&Michiru, so why not male&male relationship? :roll:

Even if it involves girl's all time favourite guy:Mamoru. Nay, seriously, didn't you enjoy the tension between him and Fisheye? :oops:

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:27 am

Origiri wrote:I haven't watched the movie, but from what I hear, he may be gay:it would be no suprise, we already have Haruka&Michiru, so why not male&male relationship? :roll:

Even if it involves girl's all time favourite guy:Mamoru. Nay, seriously, didn't you enjoy the tension between him and Fisheye? :oops:
We already have Zoiscite and Kunzite. =P

And Ugh, Mamoru. Sorry, I'll take Seiya over Mamoru any day.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:48 am

And don't forget the most gay of them all, Fisheye ^^

TBA

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:14 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:And don't forget the most gay of them all, Fisheye ^^
Yeah, but he's not in a relationship. She was saying, "Why not a male/male relationship"

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:42 pm

I could see him as a homosexual, but I just think he has no sexuality to speak of as I doubt he's ever thought of that. All he seemed to know was that he was lonely, he met Mamoru who was lonely too and then they weren't lonely anymore. He just doesn't HAVE anyone else.

Maybe if he had been with Mamoru more he'd realize it was something more or he could have a more 'normal' friendship with him. Or something.
Really, one movie wasn't really enough for that. ^^;

But that said, I do find this pairing adorable.
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:22 am

I remember watching the English dub of the Sailor Moon R movie (I've watched this before getting into the original Japanese SM episodes) and I was thinking the same thing to myself if Fiore was gay or not BUT he probably isn't. Due to the circumstances of trying to get Mamoru/Darien to pay attention to him and become great friends with him, the situation might appear as if Fiore had gay tendencies. But sometimes when we look at a human-relationship situation that seems strange to us and abnormal, whether it is between 2 women or between 2 guys, we assume that it always deals with homosexuality. I have watched little parts of the original version of the SMR movie but I plan to watch all of it soon.
Current Sailor Moon Season watched: Re-watching Sailor Moon Classic
Episode 15: "Usagi is Frantic! Rei''s First Date"

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:58 am

Have you guys ever heard of Ockham's Razor? :roll:

Origiri
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Origiri » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:08 am

^No, actually...what is that? Kinky boy&boy stuff? :oops: