Is it wrong for a 14 year old 2 go with a 19 year old?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:58 pm

Tiff wrote:There is an episode in SMR when Mamoru is supposed to go meet Usagi's parents, but then he has his prophetic dreams, "breaks up" with her, and she calls her mom in a phone booth to say he won't be coming to dinner. Then she starts sobbing.
Her family does meet him, though, before they break up; Usagi's father gets all freaked out when Shingo asks if Mamoru is her boyfriend, and when he gets chased away, Ikuko whispers to Usagi that she should invite him over for dinner.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:00 pm

Starscream wrote:
Tiff wrote:There is an episode in SMR when Mamoru is supposed to go meet Usagi's parents, but then he has his prophetic dreams, "breaks up" with her, and she calls her mom in a phone booth to say he won't be coming to dinner. Then she starts sobbing.
Her family does meet him, though, before they break up; Usagi's father gets all freaked out when Shingo asks if Mamoru is her boyfriend, and when he gets chased away, Ikuko whispers to Usagi that she should invite him over for dinner.
T_T why don't I remember that episode? Seriously, it's completely lost on me. -_-

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Re: is it wrong for a 14yearold to go with a 19 year old?

Post by Umino » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Tempest wrote:Oddly enough none of the other soldiers have birthday episodes dedicated to them that I can recall.
In the manga, Rei's birthday is celebrated in the Death Busters Arc. Actually, it's also brought up in the side story "Casablanca". (Though, doesn't that create a bit of a continuity error?)

As far as the age thing goes, it never seemed werid. It's not it was a huge age difference or anything.

As for Mamoru's "fine"-ness... I guess I would say yes. He has a nice butt. :P Although I think Motoki is alot "finer" than Mamoru.

User avatar
the dooky
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:29 am
Location: Coventry
Contact:

Post by the dooky » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:00 pm

Tiff wrote:T_T why don't I remember that episode? Seriously, it's completely lost on me. -_-
It's the same episode (number 61). Usagi's family happens to meet Mamoru early in the episode, and later on Mamoru breaks up with her. Incidentally, this is also the last episode to feature Usagi's dad.
Amazoness! Because men seldom make passes at girls who routinely kill men.

User avatar
NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Wootbekistan

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 pm

the dooky wrote:Incidentally, this is also the last episode to feature Usagi's dad.
Which is a shame. Tsukino Kenji is several degrees of awesome. That fire extinguisher move in episode fifty was sweet.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

User avatar
Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:03 pm
Location: New Jersey

Post by Butterscotch » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:26 pm

Tiff wrote:
djtaylor wrote:Isn't there some thing in the series about Mamoru meeting Usagi's parates? :?






Nya
...You're either trying to say "Pirates" or "Parents", so given the subject material of this thread, I'm going to assume you're trying to say "Parents".
Wait...You mean Usagi's parents aren't pirates? :shock:

User avatar
Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: KCMO
Contact:

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:22 pm

Butterscotch wrote:
Tiff wrote:
djtaylor wrote:Isn't there some thing in the series about Mamoru meeting Usagi's parates? :?






Nya
...You're either trying to say "Pirates" or "Parents", so given the subject material of this thread, I'm going to assume you're trying to say "Parents".
Wait...You mean Usagi's parents aren't pirates? :shock:
Huh, and here I thought djtaylor was trying to say something about Usagi's "parrots". Guess I was wrong, there. ^^;
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado


^ ^ ^ ROFL

User avatar
AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:08 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:36 am

Neon Heart wrote:
Butterscotch wrote:
Tiff wrote:
djtaylor wrote:Isn't there some thing in the series about Mamoru meeting Usagi's parates? :?






Nya
...You're either trying to say "Pirates" or "Parents", so given the subject material of this thread, I'm going to assume you're trying to say "Parents".
Wait...You mean Usagi's parents aren't pirates? :shock:
Huh, and here I thought djtaylor was trying to say something about Usagi's "parrots". Guess I was wrong, there. ^^;
I thought it was Pilates myself. Usagi's PILATES. How else do you think she kept that awesome figure?

TBA

User avatar
Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:13 am
Location: TN
Contact:

Re: is it wrong for a 14yearold to go with a 19 year old?

Post by Tempest » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:09 am

jupiter23 wrote:
Tempest wrote:That she does! :D I'm not good with episode numbers or titles but, (using the spoiler tag incase people havn't seen it): [spoiler]It's the one when Usagi gets her Heart Crystal stolen then Eudial figures out Usagi is infact Sailormoon! The two parter if I remember correctly.[/spoiler]

Oddly enough none of the other soldiers have birthday episodes dedicated to them that I can recall.
[spoiler]Actually, it was Kaorinite that attacked Usagi on her birthday, not Eudial. Eudial didn't come into the story until right after Kaorinite was defeated by the Sailor Soldiers the first time. [/spoiler]
I thought I wrote Kaorinite. o___o *checks*
Oops. ^^;; *fixes that*. Man I've been slipping lately.

mod::
Can we get back on topic please and stop poking fun at djtaylor's spelling error?
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

User avatar
Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Post by Panda » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:31 pm

I heard somewhere that the legal age in Japan is 20. It might have been for driving though.

It bothers me a little bit... half because I'm 14 and half because Mamoru is in College and if he can't get laid and if Usagi is a virgin than there's something else going on here...

This being a cartoon, however, I don't let it bother me as much as I could. Things could always be worse. Mamoru could have had a kid with someone or something.

By the way, It's nice to meet you all :)

User avatar
Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: KCMO
Contact:

Post by Neon Heart » Mon May 01, 2006 12:25 am

Panda wrote:IThings could always be worse. Mamoru could have had a kid with someone or something.
Or it could have been worse than that, and it could have been Mamoru was hiding the fact he was really a hemaphrodite. But, the creators didn't decide to go there. >___>;;
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado


^ ^ ^ ROFL

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: Oswego, NY
Contact:

Post by Sylphiel » Mon May 01, 2006 1:32 am

Panda wrote:I heard somewhere that the legal age in Japan is 20. It might have been for driving though.
If you're talking about the age of consent, it's 13 in Japan as a country.

But apparently the laws differ depending on what section of Japan you are in. Kind of like how the different US states are different, New York for example is 17.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr


So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon May 01, 2006 6:51 am

Panda wrote:
It bothers me a little bit... half because I'm 14 and half because Mamoru is in College and if he can't get laid and if Usagi is a virgin than there's something else going on here...
o.O I highly doubt their relationship was abuot Mamory getting laid. You know, considering the fact that in the anime, it's NEVER suggested that they have sex, and their kisses are always shy, cutesy moments. In fact, Mamoru seems very shy about kissing Usagi in the R movie, and in an episode or two of the series. In the manga, it isn't suggested they're having sex/fooling around until SuperS I believe, when Usagi and Mamoru are laying together, on top of one another, and then in the next page, Usagi is wearing Mamoru's shirt and nothing else. And by then I think she's 16.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon May 01, 2006 8:43 am

The age difference is a bit much during the show but if you take into account the actual year difference 5 years isnt that big a deal. My parents are about that far apart but they started dating in college so no one cared. As long as they dont go too far when they are young which no couple should do anyway if you ask me (and it doesnt look like they do in the show) they should be fine once Usagi reaches whatever the legal age in japan is.

User avatar
Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:49 am

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon May 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Panda wrote:I heard somewhere that the legal age in Japan is 20. It might have been for driving though.

It bothers me a little bit... half because I'm 14 and half because Mamoru is in College and if he can't get laid and if Usagi is a virgin than there's something else going on here...

This being a cartoon, however, I don't let it bother me as much as I could. Things could always be worse. Mamoru could have had a kid with someone or something.

By the way, It's nice to meet you all :)
False. The national age of consent is 13. However, each prefecture can set their own age, and most have it set to 18. But, many of those laws are vague and are mainly made to prevent minors from engaging in quasi prostitution.

Aside from that, girls can legally marry at 16 (Usagi points this out at the beginning of Stars). Guys can legally marry at 18.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: Oswego, NY
Contact:

Post by Sylphiel » Mon May 01, 2006 10:44 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:False. The national age of consent is 13. However, each prefecture can set their own age ...
...did I not just say that a few posts back? o_O;
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr


So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

User avatar
Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:13 am
Location: TN
Contact:

Post by Tempest » Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 am

Sylphiel wrote:
Aya Reiko wrote:False. The national age of consent is 13. However, each prefecture can set their own age ...
...did I not just say that a few posts back? o_O;
You did.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

User avatar
yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue May 02, 2006 2:35 pm

As for the age thing, for difference to marry- that's nothing.

My uncle... got a Mail-order bride from the Phillipines... about a 20 year difference. do NOT go comparing the Usagi/Mamoru aget hing.

the the age of consent, yeah, depends on the country... but... people seem to ignore that...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Tue May 02, 2006 3:34 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:As for the age thing, for difference to marry- that's nothing.

My uncle... got a Mail-order bride from the Phillipines... about a 20 year difference. do NOT go comparing the Usagi/Mamoru aget hing.

the the age of consent, yeah, depends on the country... but... people seem to ignore that...
o____O; People really do that?

Wow.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:49 am

Post by Aya Reiko » Tue May 02, 2006 6:36 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:the the age of consent, yeah, depends on the country... but... people seem to ignore that...
For more info on this topic, please refer to this place.

As I said before, it seems Japan's a.o.c. laws are written to keep the practice of enjo kosai (a.k.a. subsidized dating) in check. Though the only thing those laws are preventing are people bragging what (or who) they've done, as enforcing that law is incredibly difficult. Bear in mind the practice of enjo kosai is typically between a middle-aged man and a school girl. (Read here for more info.)

So a 14 yo being seen with a 19 yo is nothing compared to that. Though it may raise a few eyebrows nonetheless. 8)
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Locked