Is it wrong for a 14 year old 2 go with a 19 year old?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

momochanswife
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Is it wrong for a 14 year old 2 go with a 19 year old?

Post by momochanswife » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:52 pm

Since you all dont like my slang and ghettotalk, well wateva!! but anywayz! do you think that it is wrong for serena to go with darien when hes 19? my friend and i think its kinda wrong, but thats us. Let me know!! :D
Last edited by momochanswife on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Actually, no. I don't think Mamoru/Darien is "fine" at all. The only time I think he looks remotely good is when he's prince Endymion.

ADMIN MODE:

....Try to keep your discussions intelligent, please. This topic is valid discussion, but try to cut down on the ghetto slang and the multiple exclamation points. Mature discussion is what we prefer. Thanks.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Silence_Knight
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Silence_Knight » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:47 pm

Well I'm a guy, so I don' think he is "fine". If you want to know for Usagi, I always thought Seyia was the better one. He was fun like her and actually could fight! :D

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Re: Is it wrong for a 14 year old 2 go with a 19 year old?

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:41 am

momochanswife wrote:Since you all dont like my slang and ghettotalk, well wateva!! but anywayz! do you think that it is wrong for serena to go with darien when hes 19? my friend and i think its kinda wrong, but thats us. Let me know!! :D

You didn't really need to edit that, to make "some sort of statement". No one was being rude to you, you know.

But as for their ages, it IS just a cartoon. Since they pretty muchare mean't to be, I'm assuming that Usagi and Mamoru don't really care about their ages, since they really are in love. With a lot of people, age is just a number when it comes to love.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:40 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it less frowned upon - if not completely legal - in Japan for this type of pairing to occur? If this were a real couple, I would be a little bit unnerved by the idea of a college freshman going out with someone who's essentially a high-school freshman, but cartoons tend to bend a lot of rules, so I tend to ignore that "problem" in this and similar cases.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:39 am

I thought in the beginning of Stars, Usagi says that since she's 16, she's of legal age to marry him, or something of that nature.

I would think that it would matter less when they got older, though.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

momochanswife
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

is it wrong for a 14yearold to go with a 19 year old?

Post by momochanswife » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:43 am

Thanks for your comments!! im very happy!!
but im not so sure,. i thoght she was 14. but if shes 16, hows she legal age?

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 am

Because other countries have different age limits for certain things. One of my English friends informed me once that the legal age in England is 16, too.

That, and probably because Japanese kids at 16 can handle a 'love' situation better than an American 16 year old. Probably because Japanese kids typically are more reserved, are more respectful, and know how to keep their legs shut. >_____>;;;

^ ^ ^ ROFL

momochanswife
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by momochanswife » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:02 am

AMEN TO THAT! i agree, my 15 year old cousin got preagnant and i have a friend who has 2 kids.But you are right japanese kids are more reserved.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Re: is it wrong for a 14yearold to go with a 19 year old?

Post by Rainbow » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 am

momochanswife wrote:Thanks for your comments!! im very happy!!
She's 14 at the beginning, but she's 16 by the beginning of SailorStars. I think it shows her having her 15th birthday in the S season, too.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:17 am

Rainbow wrote:
momochanswife wrote:Thanks for your comments!! im very happy!!
She's 14 at the beginning, but she's 16 by the beginning of SailorStars. I think it shows her having her 15th birthday in the S season, too.
That she does! :D I'm not good with episode numbers or titles but, (using the spoiler tag incase people havn't seen it): [spoiler]It's the one when Usagi gets her Heart Crystal stolen then Kaorinite* figures out Usagi is infact Sailormoon! The two parter if I remember correctly.[/spoiler]

Oddly enough none of the other soldiers have birthday episodes dedicated to them that I can recall.
Last edited by Tempest on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:22 am

Tempest wrote:Oddly enough none of the other soldiers have birthday episodes dedicated to them that I can recall.
I don't ever recall the other senshi having celebrate their birthday's in the show, either. Yet it's obvious they have birthdays, because most every Sailor Moon site has the EXACT birthdate for all of the senshi.

So like... There wasn't enough birthday turmoil in Sailor Moon. We must change that, mm hmm.

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:16 pm

It's obvious that the enemies were being respectful about their birthdays, but Eudial must have slipped up when she scheduled the Daimon attack on Usagi's birthday :/
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Re: Is it wrong for a 14 year old 2 go with a 19 year old?

Post by Butterscotch » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm

momochanswife wrote: but anywayz! do you think that it is wrong for serena to go with darien when hes 19? my friend and i think its kinda wrong, but thats us. Let me know!! :D
In real life, I probably wouldn't approve. The maturity gap between a 14 year old and a 19 year old is too big.

But in fictional works, like Sailor Moon, it doesn't bother me. In Sailor Moon, falling in love was their destiny, and they would've fallen in love no matter how old or young they were. Had they met when Usagi was 12 and Mamro 17, they would have fallen in love. Had the met at ages 20 and 25, they would've fallen in love.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:03 pm

If Usagi and Mamoru ever had anything more than a dramatic kiss now and then, the age gap might have bothered me, but they were always kept all cutesy and chaste.

Of course, when you think about it, nothing in the show regarding age ever made sense. Like how Haruka and Michiru were living on their own as an adult couple at 16-17. I know Japan has a slightly different standard when it comes to age, but that has to be overshooting the mark by a few inches, at least.
Neon Heart wrote:That, and probably because Japanese kids at 16 can handle a 'love' situation better than an American 16 year old. Probably because Japanese kids typically are more reserved, are more respectful, and know how to keep their legs shut. >_____>;;;
That wouldn't be a sweeping generalization, now would it? XD
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

kahrani
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by kahrani » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:10 pm

If it was my 14 year old daughter I certainly wouldn't approve! But I never really thought about it much in the anime. I'm not so sure they have only kissed, however, almost positive my Stars manga has a picture of Usagi and Mamoru in bed together.... Still I suppose she was 16 by then.

The legal age of consent for sex is 16 in the UK and you can get married at this age too with parental consent, otherwise I think the age you can get married in the UK is 18 I think. Also sex with a partner of the same sex is now legal at 16 although this was only lowered recently. Teenage pregnancy is a *huge* problem here. I know abstinence is taught in America, but that method just doesn't work here.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Tempest wrote:That she does! :D I'm not good with episode numbers or titles but, (using the spoiler tag incase people havn't seen it): [spoiler]It's the one when Usagi gets her Heart Crystal stolen then Eudial figures out Usagi is infact Sailormoon! The two parter if I remember correctly.[/spoiler]

Oddly enough none of the other soldiers have birthday episodes dedicated to them that I can recall.
[spoiler]Actually, it was Kaorinite that attacked Usagi on her birthday, not Eudial. Eudial didn't come into the story until right after Kaorinite was defeated by the Sailor Soldiers the first time. [/spoiler]

the dooky
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by the dooky » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:13 pm

There is some evidence within the series that such a relationship might be frowned upon, or at least considered strange. back when Mamoru is dating Rei during the first season, Motoki mentions that he thinks the girls are cute, but could only ever see them as little sisters. This seems to hit a nerve with Mamoru...

As for who is more "fine", Mamoru or Seiya... Give me Haruka anyday. She's more man than either of them! :P
Amazoness! Because men seldom make passes at girls who routinely kill men.

djtaylor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by djtaylor » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:29 pm

Isn't there some thing in the series about Mamoru meeting Usagi's parates? :?

Nya

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:09 pm

djtaylor wrote:Isn't there some thing in the series about Mamoru meeting Usagi's parates? :?

Nya
...You're either trying to say "Pirates" or "Parents", so given the subject material of this thread, I'm going to assume you're trying to say "Parents".

There is an episode in SMR when Mamoru is supposed to go meet Usagi's parents, but then he has his prophetic dreams, "breaks up" with her, and she calls her mom in a phone booth to say he won't be coming to dinner. Then she starts sobbing.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~