Did Serena become more of a ditz as the show progressed?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

dubfan2006
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Did Serena become more of a ditz as the show progressed?

Post by dubfan2006 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 pm

I think she did. I couldn't imagine the Serena in Classic and R talking about 'classical composters', or throwing a tantrum on the floor about pie, or becoming "the red ninja, protector of love, here to rescue my honey pie from the jaws of Raye".
What do you think?

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:54 pm

I don't know about Serena, but I certainly couldn't imagine the Usagi from Classic and R trying to save the world from a powerful evil force without sacrificing anyone's life even though she knows she isn't powerful enough to stop that powerful evil force, showing compassion for her enemies that aren't purely evil but misguided, or saving the entire galaxy from the most powerful Sailor Soldier in the galaxy all on her own without the help of her friends or Mamoru. While in someways Usagi hasn't matured, in other ways she has, and you also have to remember that Usagi is an ordinary girl with flaws, not some perfect goddess.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:22 am

In all honesty, I think it was the seasons themselves that introduced more and more silliness into their "non-essential" episodes (i.e., episodes that didn't really drive the main plot of the season). A lot of the monsters got weirder and less serious, and so this provided more chances for Usagi/Serena to demonstrate her klutiness and apprehensions that she occassionally illustrated in the first season.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:40 am

Maybe by giving Usagi more chances to demonstrate her ditzyness, that was also a way to demonstrate that she's also 'only human'?

Sorry if the above doesn't make much sense.... it's late/early.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:53 am

It's for humor. And no, the first series Usagi was even MORE of a crybaby. xD
And I agree with everything Cardcaptor Takato said.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:19 am

In Sailor Stars, Luna comments to Usagi that she has become much more mature when she agrees to see Mamoru off to the airport with a smile. What I think the change shows is that it's possible to grow and mature while still retaining the passions of childhood.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

sailod diva
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailod diva » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:16 am

i think usagi is a big crybaby, but when the chips are down she steps up. i guess that makes her mature.
Hey this is sailor diva. check out my new website at 360.yahoo.com/sailordiva30. I''ve got a sailor solder photo album and a pic of my own original senshi. I also have other pics and privite thoughts on my blog. See u later. :wink:

Matto
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Matto » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:55 pm

Here is my two cents on the whole "Is Usagi a klutz?" thing. Firstly, Usagi was just a normal fourteen year old girl who was reallt bad at English and wanted to be as cool as Sailor V. Usagi knows that she isn't perfect, even as Sailor Moon because hell it would be scary if I had to fight a monster that could kill me in a single attack. I've seen the episode where Usagi, Ami and Rei go to that beach house with the ghost, and Usagi's speech about having fun made me...cry tears of joy. :cry:

Usagi is somewhat a klutz but she is just so cute.

dimsum
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by dimsum » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:06 pm

I don't really like Usagi/serena much. But one thing I do like about her is her personality. She's devoted but at the same time childish. It's like most of us we grow but we still act childishly sometimes becuase it's just nature? In the show I think she did progress more to becoming more mature. ANd I agree with that statement about the monsters being less serious. The monsters of the day was just to fill in the episodes so its just not badabing to the end of the season. So to fill in the season with episodes that don't relate to the plot the monsters were kinda of odd and it was to make it more amusing which makes her show off her childish side.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Hai!

>Matto
... And completely off-topic, but man, that's scary, I am RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT watching that episode.

Mamoru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mamoru » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:28 am

If you can't see that Usagi matured over the progression of the seasons you need to get your eyes checked, GO NOW!!!

P.S-I love clutzy girls, but not ditz, there's a huge difference.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:30 am

Mamoru wrote:If you can't see that Usagi matured over the progression of the seasons you need to get your eyes checked, GO NOW!!!

P.S-I love clutzy girls, but not ditz, there's a huge difference.
There was no need for that first comment.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."

Mamoru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mamoru » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:14 am

Oh believe me, there was.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:24 pm

Mamoru wrote:Oh believe me, there was.
ADMIN MODE:

No. There wasn't. Keep in mind you're speaking to a moderator.

Please be more respectful when you post.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:09 pm

This is something I've always wondered. In Stars, there is that episode where Usagi asks Taiki what a poet is. I've never seen that episode, but did Taiki say the word poet in English and that's why Usagi didn't know what it meant, or did Taiki say it in Japanese, Usagi's first language, and she still didn't know what it meant?
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:19 pm

I listened closely to that part once and I think they said the Japanese word "shijin" which is poet. The odd thing is, I can't think of a snack that sounds like, besides "ninjin" (Japanese for carrots), which Usagi doesn't even like!

I'm rather unsure as to how Usagi got confused over that. In SailorStars, it almost seems like she's TRYING to be stupider because she's trying to distract herself from being sad about Mamoru. She does some other dumb things in that episode.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sailor Europa
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Sailor Europa » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:54 pm

I don't think Usagi/Serena became clutzier as the series progresses.
Far from it, infact.

Sure, she did have her klutzy and spastic moments throughout each and every season, but she definitely did mature and become more elegant and refined.
"Hey long distance. Tokyo! I love the French!" ~Ron Stoppable

Mamoru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mamoru » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:30 pm

You admin and moderator people need to learn to chill, not everything needs to be so serious. I was obviously being sarcastic when I said "oh believe me there was." Message boards are supposed to be fun, I remember my first post after joining; I got a warning saying i would get banned if I didn't specify a birthday within like 1 day. Calm down.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:43 pm

Don't like the rules on this site? Then you can go be a jackass elsewhere. Enjoy your ban.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:47 pm

Mamoru wrote:You admin and moderator people need to learn to chill, not everything needs to be so serious. I was obviously being sarcastic when I said "oh believe me there was." Message boards are supposed to be fun, I remember my first post after joining; I got a warning saying i would get banned if I didn't specify a birthday within like 1 day. Calm down.
-____- Please be a bit more respectful. No one was flying off the handle here. In additio, do not tell the mods to calm down.

Everything is written and you can't hear the sound a a voice.
You can't tell the difference between sarcasm and serious-ness online.

If you don't input your birthday you get temporarily banned. It's because of the COPPA laws. Dan and the other admins can get into serious trouble if their forums collect information from anyone under the age of 13. If they get in trouble then the site can be shut down.
Please read the rules and this thread in announcements.
We don't do birthday bans to be jackasses. We do it because we have to. The ban gets lifted after the 13 birthday has passed so it's not like the ban is forever.

::edit:: Sorry. ^^; I didn't know you were handling it, Starscream. You must have been typing up your response when I was writing mine.
Last edited by Tempest on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel