Did Serena become more of a ditz as the show progressed?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:53 pm

It's ok ^^; Sorry for making you go through all that trouble; you certainly were a lot more forgiving than I was, too ^^;;

Anyhow, let's all put this behind us and get back on topic =D
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Skull13
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

That name fits perfectly, if you ask me.

Post by Skull13 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:14 pm

Usagi's English name, Serena, I think, was a good substitute for her. It's like, the name of a person is the opposite of what he or she is. For example, the third Stooge, Jerome Lester Horwitz, was dubbed the name Curly Howard because he shaved his head bald. As for Serena Tsukino, her first name came from the English word, serene, which means calm, peaceful, and relaxed, and we all know that her character, overall, is far from those meanings. :lol: I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone, but this is my perspective of the topic.
Split Personality
Bring Hope To Humanity!!!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: That name fits perfectly, if you ask me.

Post by Tiff » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:07 pm

Skull13 wrote:Usagi's English name, Serena, I think, was a good substitute for her. It's like, the name of a person is the opposite of what he or she is. For example, the third Stooge, Jerome Lester Horwitz, was dubbed the name Curly Howard because he shaved his head bald. As for Serena Tsukino, her first name came from the English word, serene, which means calm, peaceful, and relaxed, and we all know that her character, overall, is far from those meanings. :lol: I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone, but this is my perspective of the topic.
..Actually, they more than likely took it becuase it's a form of Serenity, her princess name. =P

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Skull13
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Yeah, but still.......

Post by Skull13 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:54 am

Tiff wrote:..Actually, they more than likely took it becuase it's a form of Serenity, her princess name. =P
Yeah, that makes even more sense. Still, I think that my theory could be considered interesting.
Split Personality
Bring Hope To Humanity!!!

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by bioengineer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:02 pm

Everyone has the capacity to grow and mature and certainly Usagi is not exception.
Quick answer yes she does mature and becomes less of a crybaby. Of course there will be some basic core personality that will not change and what makes her....well her.

Honestly? Its amazing how a 14 year old girl took all the duties of being this awsome protector in stride. If this happend to me at 14 Id have a nervous breakdown.

My answer is of course is assuming we are all talking about the anime version of Usagi. Manga Usagi is a totally different animal.

Now I just pray to God as I hit the submit button I dont see my post cloned several times over. :cry:

artemis_is_my_dawg
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by artemis_is_my_dawg » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:10 am

i've noticed this too in the dub, that in the first couple seasons she's not dizty or anything, but still a crybaby, and she's not dumb either. but then when you get into S season, she's really annoying and dizty and an even bigger crybaby! haha

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:51 am

In fact, I think she gets ditzier, but that's only how I _feel_ it is. What I think of it is a whole different thing. In a way, she's matured a lot and that's why I don't like Usagi in the fifth season. She's like a saint and by getting more mature, she's lost the certain something she still had in Classic and R.
I don't know how to say it: In some way, she's ditzier than in the first seasons, but in another way, she's grown up.

The childish (or childlike) behaviour was part of her charme... But I can understand that characters have to develop. But it's sad somehow
...Qui sême le vent, récolte la tempête...

Origiri
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Origiri » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:20 am

It is obvious that Usagi grows up to be more mature, forgiving, and saint like as the seasons go...she also becomes more and more skilled as a Sailorsenshi, she does not need the help of others as much in the later episodes. Luna has saved her life tiimes and times again in the first few seasons, and she was trying to fight in the spare time she was not crying. :P

However her clutsness and childish behaviour is a part of her till she really becomes the Neo Queen Serenity. (well, she is not like that, right?)

sailorceres
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailorceres » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:30 pm

Usagi did become more mature as the show progressed, though more as sailor moon. Im not saying t hat she became a diffrent person or anything as sailor moon but just that, she really thought of the decision she made as a senshi. But keep in mind Usagi is only 16 at the end of the show, she is still young and the same kults as always, but people thats why we love her! I know some things were silly or dumb such as throwing a tantrum over pie or not knowing what a poet is, but in general she did become more mature.
Aitto Seigi, Sailor no Bishojo Senshi, Seera Mun! Tsukini Kawatte, Oshioki Yo!