The US Live Action Promo was made by Toon Makers, NOT Saban

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

The US Live Action Promo was made by Toon Makers, NOT Saban

Post by Starscream » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:12 am

The idea was to have the Toonmakers-produced version of Sailormoon be contracted through Saban so that the show could be put on the air. Saban had nothing to do with the production of that original clip, and it is unknown how their involvement in the contract could have altered the final Toon Makers/Saban product.

Hopefully this topic will deter others from making this mistake, but somehow I doubt it ^^;
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

corza-chan
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Toon Makers lost that war

Post by corza-chan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:13 am

Thank goodness that Toei rejected the promo. The reason for this was that it would have costed a lot more money to remake the whole series rather than just re-dub the anime series. This was also a chance to bring one of the highest rating Japanese anime series to English speaking countries and we must thank DiC for that, although they did chop it to pieces... but, hey... they took more time an effort, which is more than can be said for Cloverways release of season 3 & 4. *sigh* they both coulda been great seasons if only they werent in a rush to dub it :(
Check out my Sailor Moon Universe:
http://www.sailormoon-universe.com

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:49 am

Oh god, thank you. *bows before you*

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:43 pm

SAAAILOR! Sailor MOON!!!!

...sorry, couldn't resist. ^^;;;; That promo made me laugh so hard when I first saw it I spit up what I was drinking at the time.
Last edited by Sylphiel on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:48 pm

What would have been worse in a remake of Sailor Moon....that chick had no odangos! :o

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:10 pm

I don't think people would make the mistake about who produced the American live-action Sailor Moon promo clip so much if the info was a little more clearer on the SMU series' page. Because on the series' section of the SMU it states, "Around the time that Sailor Stars was being made, DiC entertainment and Saban were battling for the rights to Sailor Moon. DiC wanted to make the anime a "cartoon" for little girls to watch on Saturday morning, this was bad, but at least it was better than what Saban wanted to do. Saban wanted to get the rights to Sailor Moon and then make it half live action/half animation (original animation, not the Japanese animation). They wanted to redo Sailor Moon in the same way they did with "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers". I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I just thought that people might not mistake Saban for making it if the info was corrected on the SMU series' page because it's confusing when the SMU site says it was Saban who produced it but then the mods in the forums say it wasn't Saban.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I don't think people would make the mistake about who produced the American live-action Sailor Moon promo clip so much if the info was a little more clearer on the SMU series' page. Because on the series' section of the SMU it states, "Around the time that Sailor Stars was being made, DiC entertainment and Saban were battling for the rights to Sailor Moon. DiC wanted to make the anime a "cartoon" for little girls to watch on Saturday morning, this was bad, but at least it was better than what Saban wanted to do. Saban wanted to get the rights to Sailor Moon and then make it half live action/half animation (original animation, not the Japanese animation). They wanted to redo Sailor Moon in the same way they did with "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers". I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I just thought that people might not mistake Saban for making it if the info was corrected on the SMU series' page because it's confusing when the SMU site says it was Saban who produced it but then the mods in the forums say it wasn't Saban.
*Shrugs* and I didn't know it said that. Hell, that part of the site was written like five years ago. So I'll see that it gets changed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Matto
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Matto » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:49 pm

Oh god that clip was SO CHESSY!! :lol: Seriously, when I first saw it I nearly fell off my chair! It was so painful.

I heard from a different source that Saban didn't make it. Somewhere a anime site did an interview with the man who produced this...what-ever-it-is. =/

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:54 pm

Matto wrote:Oh god that clip was SO CHESSY!! :lol: Seriously, when I first saw it I nearly fell off my chair! It was so painful.

I heard from a different source that Saban didn't make it. Somewhere a anime site did an interview with the man who produced this...what-ever-it-is. =/
...yeah, that's..kinda the point and subject of this sticky post. That it waasn't made by Saban, it was made by Toonmakers.

We found out from the same exact source.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:51 pm

I never got to see the promo, but I would like to. Does anyone know of a site that carries the file?
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Linky; just click on the image that's mistitled "The Saban Nightmare". May not be suitable for individuals with a brain.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:36 pm

Can I consider it a saving grace that my computer doesn't seem to have the ability to play .mov files? That image link alone frightens me...
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:42 am

Note: I've edited the series intro text to say "Toonmakers" instead of "Saban", so there's no more confusion caused by our site.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:19 pm

Starscream wrote:Linky; just click on the image that's mistitled "The Saban Nightmare". May not be suitable for individuals with a brain.

Thank you. :)
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:19 pm

I was just wondering this....who exactly are Toonmakers? I mean, I know they're the ones who produced this version of Sailor Moon, but what else have they done? I don't think I've ever even heard of them before I heard about this Sailor Moon video.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:28 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I was just wondering this....who exactly are Toonmakers? I mean, I know they're the ones who produced this version of Sailor Moon, but what else have they done? I don't think I've ever even heard of them before I heard about this Sailor Moon video.
http://www.toonmakers.com/about.htm

there ya go.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:20 am

Tiff wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I was just wondering this....who exactly are Toonmakers? I mean, I know they're the ones who produced this version of Sailor Moon, but what else have they done? I don't think I've ever even heard of them before I heard about this Sailor Moon video.
http://www.toonmakers.com/about.htm

there ya go.
...and despite their bragging as to their supposed resume, they haven't really amounted to much, have they?
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:29 am

Aya Reiko wrote:
...and despite their bragging as to their supposed resume, they haven't really amounted to much, have they?
LOL indeed.

Their website sucks, too.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:32 am

jupiter23
Can I consider it a saving grace that my computer doesn't seem to have the ability to play .mov files? That image link alone frightens me...
youtube has a couple of the files here
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:37 am

jupiter23 wrote:Can I consider it a saving grace that my computer doesn't seem to have the ability to play .mov files? That image link alone frightens me...
If that's the case, you probably don't have Quicktime installed.

Click here to download it. (Note: Apple distributes it bundled with iTunes. It's a free download nonetheless.)
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.