DiC vs. Cloverway

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Umino wrote:Yeah, but would they have gone so far as "cousins"? Their relationship has been modified in almost ever international dub. Never so drastically though. The Italian dub for example, just said they were "like sisters".
I really think the relationship could have been left alone. Without any cover ups. They might have to make a few snippits here and there but in the S dub you could tell they were in love and Optimum/Cloverway only made it worse with the cousin thing. Going from a purely innocent romantic relationship between two girls and making it an incest fest between two cousins. makes no sense.

Umino wrote:Now that I think about it, the slang in the CWI dub didn't bother me too much. Maybe it's because I use alot of slang. Shoot, my sister still says things like "he's fine". It seems to fit with the girls. I mean, they're TEENAGERS. But there are some instances was it's just bad. Serena and the girls using slang is okay, Rini using it is AWFUL. She's eight, she shouldn't say things like "They're trippin" or "he's so fine!".
In the dubbers defense I know little kids who will use slang if they hear someone older using it, to sound cool. Little Rini hears big cousin/future mommy Serena speaking in slang and she starts doing it too to fit in with the older girls. However there shouldn't be any slang in the first place because these characters don't really do it. Especially Ami.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:30 pm

HighC wrote:I really think the relationship could have been left alone. Without any cover ups. They might have to make a few snippits here and there but in the S dub you could tell they were in love and Optimum/Cloverway only made it worse with the cousin thing. Going from a purely innocent romantic relationship between two girls and making it an incest fest between two cousins. makes no sense.
CWI's cover-ups made Sailor Moon more offensive. Not just with the "cousins" thing, but with Fisheye too. What's more offensive: a man running around shirtless, or a woman walking around shirtless? Even in the TV edited version of episode 140, I was shocked CWI even implied Fisheye was topless.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I really wish CWI would've never given stated Fisheye's gender. I mean, they didn't even it for a good 10 episodes. Even then, I think Fisheye was only referred to as a "she", and "woman" a few times. Had they just left her gender up in the air, the uncut dub wouldn't be as awkard as it turned out.

On another note, apparently the voice director didn't want to change Haruka and Michiru's relationship. And apparently she didn't want to change *anything* from the Japanese version.

Also, rewatching the dub I noticed they had no problem with "Amara" still being gay. In the dub, she openly talks about how Mina can be "the prettiest formula 1 drivier" and wonders "why two pretty girls wouldn't follow her". Yet Michelle always talked about the guys she dated in the past.
In the dubbers defense I know little kids who will use slang if they hear someone older using it, to sound cool. Little Rini hears big cousin/future mommy Serena speaking in slang and she starts doing it too to fit in with the older girls. However there shouldn't be any slang in the first place because these characters don't really do it. Especially Ami.
Yeah, I can understand that. But it's just a little forced, I mean "trippin"? Ami using slang is a BIG no-no. Outers too, ESPECIALLY Pluto. I nearly died when I heard Pluto say "hear me out".

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Umino wrote:
HighC wrote:I really think the relationship could have been left alone. Without any cover ups. They might have to make a few snippits here and there but in the S dub you could tell they were in love and Optimum/Cloverway only made it worse with the cousin thing. Going from a purely innocent romantic relationship between two girls and making it an incest fest between two cousins. makes no sense.
CWI's cover-ups made Sailor Moon more offensive. Not just with the "cousins" thing, but with Fisheye too. What's more offensive: a man running around shirtless, or a woman walking around shirtless? Even in the TV edited version of episode 140, I was shocked CWI even implied Fisheye was topless.
It's hilarious that in the uncut dub Fish Eye is still referred as female and they have "her" rip off her shirt to reveal a masculine chest.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I really wish CWI would've never given stated Fisheye's gender. I mean, they didn't even it for a good 10 episodes. Even then, I think Fisheye was only referred to as a "she", and "woman" a few times. Had they just left her gender up in the air, the uncut dub wouldn't be as awkard as it turned out.
Yeah it was nice they left it up in the air a bit. They even left Amara and Michelle's relationship in the air for a little while. They should have just never referred to Fish Eye's gender at all.
On another note, apparently the voice director didn't want to change Haruka and Michiru's relationship. And apparently she didn't want to change *anything* from the Japanese version.
She also blamed it on the CRTC (Canadian version of the FCC I guess) yet a spokeperson mention that they had no rules again homosexual content on children's shows.
Also, rewatching the dub I noticed they had no problem with "Amara" still being gay. In the dub, she openly talks about how Mina can be "the prettiest formula 1 drivier" and wonders "why two pretty girls wouldn't follow her". Yet Michelle always talked about the guys she dated in the past.
Amara also made a pass at Darien. (Though it was mainly just teasing Serena) It was fine when they mentioned these guys that Michelle dated because you know I always figured Michiru as bisexual anyways. But the cousin thing was too much. If they just never got around to the cousin thing in the first place.
Yeah, I can understand that. But it's just a little forced, I mean "trippin"? Ami using slang is a BIG no-no. Outers too, ESPECIALLY Pluto. I nearly died when I heard Pluto say "hear me out".
In my book there are two Senshi who should never use slang. Ami and Setsuna.