About Super S: is it really THAT bad?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

About Super S: is it really THAT bad?

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:20 pm

It's been five years since I watched Sailor Moon Super S, but I've heard that it was the worst of the five seasons, and that it didn't draw as much of the same audience as Sailor Moon S. I've already went to Lizzard's "In Defense of Super S" page, and I think she brings up some good points here.

The way I see it, Super S falls in the same category as Dragon Ball GT and Tenchi in Tokyo as one of the most misunderstood anime series ever.

What are your thoughts?

UPDATE: Here's the link for Lizzard's Super S page:

http://www.lizzard.net/SuperS/index.html

If you want, feel free to add the link to your Links page!
Last edited by DuoTheShinigami02 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:33 pm

*shrugs* I dno't dislike SuperS in the slightest. I haven't seen all of it (still haven't gotten around to finishing my VCDs ^^; ), but what I've seen...it's hilarious. Now it's not as dramatic or action-packed as the other seasons, but it's just plain FUNNY. It's a nice change from the angst and tragedy...And it's NOT just about Chibiusa. The senshi have plenty of moments. Hell, they have whole episodes dedicated to them.

I find SuperS to be a refreshing, light-hearted change, and think it's got its positive and negatives just like any other season.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:18 am

I like SuperS a lot. I actually think I like it better than Classic and R. Okay so it suffers from a lack of plot and outer senshi, but it does have a lot of things I like about it

Plus for the Peach:

-Tiger's Eye and Hawk's eye. I freakin love bishounens and Tiger's eye is one of my favorites, with Hawk's eye being a favorite to. I sort of like Fish eyes, but he's a bit too feminie for me. The squabbles between all of them are hilarious.

-Beautiful art. This seasons artwork was very nice and shiny. I loved how all the colours were pastel like.

-The fashion designer episode. I've been studying fashion design for six years and want to be a costume designer, and this episode amused me a lot. I love the part where the designer's assistant tells Fish not to change his designs to his liking.

-The Amazoness Quartet. What's better than crazy psyco children? Palla Palla's hilarious and I love Jun Jun's outfit.

-Nehellenia=gorgeously kick ass.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:20 am

The way some critics see it, it's all about Chibi-Usa, as she shares top billing with Usagi, and the story is centered towards her. Of course, this isn't the first time it happened (see the final episodes of the S Season).

The only people who would hate it are the anti-Chibi-Usa fans.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:23 am

SuperS just isn't very good, plain and simple (and for the record, I LIKED Tenchi in Tokyo...). I'll never understand why they didn't just use the manga's storyline.

One of its biggest problems is that most of it is filler (and not even good filler at that). And the Moons hog the spotlight too much as well.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:58 pm

Dinozore wrote:SuperS just isn't very good, plain and simple (and for the record, I LIKED Tenchi in Tokyo...). I'll never understand why they didn't just use the manga's storyline.

One of its biggest problems is that most of it is filler (and not even good filler at that). And the Moons hog the spotlight too much as well.
I don't understand why peopl ealways have a problem with sailor moon having a spotlight. The show is ABOUT her. She's the main character. I think there are an ample number of episodes dedicated to the other senshi.

And why is it unfair to have a series with a lot of Chibimoon? Everybody wants episodes for the outers and the inners, but for some reason, they have a problem with episodes for Chibiusa? Chibiusa is not one of my favorite chars, by far, but I don't have a problem with SuperS becuase a lot of it is dedicated to her.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:11 pm

I never really liked or disliked Super S. It's one of those seasons that kindof takes things easy after a lot of busy action and such and gives us a glimpse at the lives of the characters.

Personally, I like Chibiusa, so it was a refreshing change to see a story arc that is about her. A lot of the episodes show her growing and changing as she experiences a love of her own. I like the manga version of this change better, but this has it's moments too.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:46 pm

Personally, I think Sailor Stars is funnier than Supers. I don't really hate this season but I don't really care about it, either. Chibi-usa is my least favorite Soldier, so I don't really like a season that's mostly about her. Even if the other Soldiers get their own starring episodes, it's not nearly enough. It also has way too many filler-ins and I don't think these episodes are really all that funny. Another thing I didn't like about Supers was how they would devote an entire episode to the Soldiers helping a random person having a mid-life crisis of the day that we never get to see again for the rest of the show and there just wasn't anything in the plot that really grabbed my attention. There were a few good things about it, though. I did like the Amazon Trio, who are some of my favorite Sailor Moon villians ever, and their deaths were very sad. Although I think Sailor Stars is the funniest season of Sailor Moon, there were a few very comical moments in Supers, too. I also liked Diana and thought she was a nice touch to the show. Some of the Lemures were pretty freaky too, and weird bad guys are always a plus in my grade book. I don't really hate Supers; I just don't really care about it as much as the other seasons.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:23 pm

Tiff wrote:I don't understand why peopl ealways have a problem with sailor moon having a spotlight. The show is ABOUT her. She's the main character. I think there are an ample number of episodes dedicated to the other senshi.
I said that they hog the spotlight too much in SuperS. There is a difference.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:00 am

IMO, SuperS wasn't bad per se but it did take out lots of things. For instance, it had a much sweeter theme after something apocalyptic like the S season. And not to mention it removes the 3 most serious characters in the series so far and in with the uber sweet Chibi Usa. :roll:

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:07 am

Surprisingly, I'm fairly neutral to SuperS. There are a few things that bug me about it. I love all the Chibi-Usa-sama in it and the Quartet, but...

-Tiger's Eye is funny sometimes, but his "I think I'm such a ladies man" thing is SO obnoxious to me, since I hate guys like that. I also hate that he has the most episodes of the Trio, when FishEye is my favorite next to the Quartet (of the SuperS villains) and he gets the least amount of episodes.

-There's something that makes me not like Helios. And it's not that he's a horse and Chibi-Usa is a human girl. It might be that it's a "male that she calls on for help." That's one of my least favorite things about Tux (although I like him in general) and I don't like seeing it duplicated in another character. One of the few things that I liked about S over the other seasons (except for SailorStars) is that the Outers sometimes played Tux's role and we got a break from that. Although without that, there wouldn't be a reason for her to meet him nor for any of the Senshi to trust him...grrrr...why does Chibi-Usa need a boyfriend anyway, when she's a kid?! Actually, I wish Helios was a girl horse. They could've been just friends, like her and Hotaru. But then, Chibi-Usa is a girl who tries to be very adult (at least what she thinks is adult), so it would be fitting for her to have a "boyfriend" already...that's one of the traits I find so interesting about her, probably because it's opposite me, who is more like the Quartet and is scared to grow up. But there's still something that bugs me. Maybe it's because I don't like horses much (although I do like My Little Pony, but those are cute and more like humans in pony bodies).

I liked almost everything else about SuperS, except for one thing Diana does (telling Mamoru to put his homework over helping Sailor Moon?! if Sailor Moon is killed, then Chibi-Usa is, and then you lose your job, stupid kitty!) though.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

devilmaykickass
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by devilmaykickass » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:22 am

Super S is, of the five series, my least favorite...I'm not sure why. I liked the main storyline, I liked the villians (loved the Amazon Trio especially), I loved the new attacks, I loved the music, and I loved the animation...I think the main thing I didn't like was how all the monsters were so...goofy. I didn't mind the Chibi Usa/Helios focus, and infact, the very end made me tear up a little because I thought it was just so beautiful (in particular the scene where they hug and the feathers fly up around them, and he turns back into Pegasus), and I liked Helios as a character.

I think a big part of me not liking it quite as much as the others is the insanely horrible quality Pioneer gave us in the Region 1 DVDs...by far the worst quality DVDs I've ever seen in my life...before that I'd only seen the Cloverway dub and the raw Japanese LDs (which are freaking beautiful)...so it didn't help for me to finally see it to where it was uncut and I could tell what was going on for it to look so horrid.

It's good...I just don't think its as great as the others and doesn't begin to compare to Stars.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:50 am

I personally didn't find anything wrong with SuperS. I thought it was funny at times, and I like the transformations the senshi get in this season. I can't compare it to Stars, though, because I haven't seen that season yet.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:30 am

Rainbow wrote:

-There's something that makes me not like Helios. And it's not that he's a horse and Chibi-Usa is a human girl.

Maybe it's because I don't like horses much (although I do like My Little Pony, but those are cute and more like humans in pony bodies).
Um...

HELIOS is a human in a horse body. He's an actual person.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:49 pm

Actually, I love SuperS! I really think a lot of the storylines are great, especially towards the end. As someone said before the artwork is gorgeous, more than in previous seasons. An the music is beautiful, I think it is just a great season all in all.

Malachite
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Malachite » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:45 pm

About all I've seen of Super S so far has been the movie, Black Dream Hole. I'm having a hell of a time finding the first volume anywhere (I guess I've become kinda adamant about starting a new series from the begining, rather than smack dab in the middle). But I liked what saw from the movie, so I don't understand the big problem with Super S either. And I agree with what Tiff said; I'd say it's perfectly normal for Usagi to have the spotlight. She is the title character after all, right?

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:25 pm

I didn't like SuperS much. It seemed like the fillers got 100 times worse. They all seemed to have the formula.

Chibiusa meets someone who has a problem, person is targetted, everyone fights, then happy ending.

I really can't think of any fillers I liked in SuperS. They were all just bland as hell. The monsters were also pretty annoying. I did like that they brought back Momo and Kyusuke. Momo only had one major appearance in R, and showed up breifly in S. Kyusuke only showed up in the beginning of episode 81 (when Momo is introduced). Although it's a bit werid they changed the designs. Kyusuke got his green hair back from the manga (in R he had black hair) and Momo got her purple hair back from the anime (it was brown in R, and S) It would've been nice if Chibiusa's other one time friends showed up a bit more. (like Miharu)

And SuperS' final episodes were outstanding! The final episode is actually my favorite episode in all of Sailor Moon. And they seemed to flow better than Stars' finale.

Oh, and the loss of Outers sucks too. As does the mini Nehelenia arc in Stars.

EDIT: Seeing Mamoru naked was also a huge plus for SuperS. :P

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:32 pm

It's been a really long time since I've seen parts of Super S, anime version, so I can't really argue either way. Although I did remember getting a bit of Chibiusa overload.

However, the Super S manga, is just... amazing. I remember the first time reading it and being blown away, and re-reading it many more times after that. It's my favorite part of the manga and has some really great plot, characterizations, and classic scenes. And of course, such beautiful art. I love it.

EDIT: And I liked the Super S movie as well, although S was my favorite. :D
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:43 pm

SuperS probably had the best day-to-day episodes, but the worst climaxes, all the more so for their infrequency. Compare to the first three seasons, where the goal of the enemy changed halfway through, or to Sailor Stars, which was loaded with subplots. Now, for me, I think Sailor Moon is mostly about the climaxes and the day-to-day eps set them up. But if you had different preferences I think you might like SuperS.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Sylphiel wrote:
However, the Super S manga, is just... amazing. I remember the first time reading it and being blown away, and re-reading it many more times after that. It's my favorite part of the manga and has some really great plot, characterizations, and classic scenes. And of course, such beautiful art. I love it.
I definitely agree with you there. The manga was beautiful, and the SuperS manga was far different than the anime, IMO.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama