Warriors of Legend Press Release (May 25th, 2005)

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

New Sailor Moon Book (May 2005)

Post by Luna1986 » Mon May 16, 2005 12:04 am

New Sailor Moon Book (2005-05-14 23:03:10)
A new Sailor Moon-related book will be available this month from Genvid LLC, creators of The Sailor Moon Soapbox. Titled Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon, the 148-page book explores Tokyo's history and Japanese society through the lens of the popular anime and manga series. It is edited by Anime News Network's Jonathan Mays.

This is straight off the Anime News Network forums post there and here to show your support!

The above says it all so all I can say is 'Kick ass'

ahiru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ahiru » Tue May 17, 2005 1:36 am

that is really exciting news.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: New Sailor Moon Book (May 2005)

Post by MarioKnight » Tue May 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Luna1986 wrote:The above says it all
Heh, and yet, it doesn't say much at all. ^___^
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Stitch
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Stitch » Tue May 17, 2005 4:15 pm

Genvid is a great site. This book looks like it will take the scholarly approach but I hope they can still put some of their humor in it.

Personally, I think a book that contains material like the article they have on their site would be great.

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Wed May 18, 2005 12:13 am

yeah, I can't wait for more info to turn up. Hope it lives up to the hype.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Wed May 18, 2005 1:04 am

Luna1986 wrote:yeah, I can't wait for more info to turn up. Hope it lives up to the hype.
You shall all see soon enough. ^___^
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Wed May 18, 2005 1:15 am

-Got some new info about the book although its really not much. Its the main stuff from the update on the genvid site

-"The publicity machine is starting to roll and we're really delighted by the reaction so far. I'd like to thank Anime Nation's John Opplinger for mentioning Warriors of Legend on the Anime Nation news page. The upcoming issue of Protoculture Addicts will also have a blurb on the book and a few other things. Fun to finally see Sailor Moon back in the news, right?

Right now everything's in place with the book, I'm just waiting to get the physical copy in my hands so as to confirm the print's okay, and it's go time for the Project. We're expecting that in about a week, at which time we'll launch the website and get you ordering information."
-Jay Navok

ahiru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ahiru » Wed May 18, 2005 2:05 am

gah-i hate the anticipation. i'm going to go ahead and expect the worst and maybe i'll be pleasantly suprised.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu May 19, 2005 4:21 am

ahiru wrote:gah-i hate the anticipation. i'm going to go ahead and expect the worst and maybe i'll be pleasantly suprised.
You all will be pleasatly suprised, and I'll keep it at that for the moment. ^_^
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Thu May 19, 2005 10:46 pm

damnit marionight you've see the book!
Dear god tell us the release date man!!!!

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri May 20, 2005 12:15 am

Hehe, finally, someone get's the hint that I know stuff. Just how much I know will remain a secret for the moment. ^__^ All I will say is very soon. Once Jay gives the ok, all details about the book, ordering it, and more stuff, shall be revealed. I expect this to be early next week as he is at E3 right now. Just be patient, and let me revel in knowing and seeing more than anyone else while teasing everyone about it and not giving out too much info. This is the first time I've been able to have this kind of fun and I plan to enjoy it until I'm allowed to say things. =P I will try to answer any questions anyone has but I can't gurantee solid answers for probably a lot of them until I'm allowed to talk, but please ask so I can have fun answering. ^_^
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri May 20, 2005 5:50 am

Did you have anything to do with the creation of the book? And if not, then why do you have inside info?
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri May 20, 2005 8:24 am

1) As much as I would like to have had a hand in making the book, I had nothing to do with the creation of it. Honestly, I wouldn't been of much help with the book's creation anyways, I'm better off doing what I am now to generate buzz and promote the book and such.

2) While I am not 100% sure why Jay chose me to let me be in the know about the book and everything surrounding it, I can think of a good theory that might be true. One thing that was feared as the book was being made was that no one would be interested in purchasing it, so Jay wanted to see if this fear might be true or not and eventually e-mailed me vague info about the book. I would assume I was chosen since SMU is one of the few active SM sites today and I've been making sure it stays that way (and it will again once my move is complete), and possibly also the fact that I try to get around the SMOC often (not so much lately again but things will be back to normal soon) and have a good knowledge about the fanbase and what their interest in this might be, and maybe writing stuff for his site last summer may have hand in the decision making as well. I'm not sure exactly why I was chosen, but for whatever the reason, I'm grateful and honored for it.

We've been e-mailing each other back and forth for a couple weeks now. With what I know and have seen, I'm confident that a good percentage of the fanbase will enjoy this book as well as general anime fans and anyone interested learning about Japanese culture.
Last edited by MarioKnight on Fri May 20, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

ahiru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ahiru » Fri May 20, 2005 3:30 pm

oh yay! i am excited. :D

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri May 20, 2005 11:25 pm

Is this book going to explore and talk about the mythology and stuff some people think are put into Sailormoon (kind of like the articles that are on Dies Gaudii)?
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Fri May 20, 2005 11:39 pm

There is a new update on Warrior of Legend on the Genvid site! It gives the breakdown of the book, it goes something like this:
-first and intro on the book
-some backround on the production of the series and the major events of the manga and anime
-then it splits into two parts first being an exploration of the real places that inspired the shows many settings and how much they are reflected in the show.
-the second explores the aspects of Japan that are reflected in the series followed by a series of essays on one or more of the characters that are related to the subject.
-The end section sounds very interesting but since I suck at making things sound interesting you will have to go to Genvid.com to see what it is and to see the full update.

-Are you allowed to add anything to the what Jay has said on his site Marionight?

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri May 20, 2005 11:46 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Is this book going to explore and talk about the mythology and stuff some people think are put into Sailormoon (kind of like the articles that are on Dies Gaudii)?
Hmmm..... I don't think this will cover mythology and related things. Judging from what I've seen and what Jay posted earlier today, my best guess would be no. The book is more focused on Japan and the aspects of it seen through the characters and events of the series.
Latest update on Genvid wrote:We quickly move into the book's two major parts. The first, entitled Exploring the Sailor Moon Universe, is one we think many Sailor Moon fans will be fascinated with, and enjoy a great deal. We're going to take you into the history of the city of Tokyo, and the area of Tokyo called Minato ward (the "borough" in which the sailor soldiers live), looking at just how much Sailor Moon reflected the real Tokyo of the 1990s by visiting the actual shrines, schools, parks, and many more places that the sailor soldiers worked, studied, and played at.

Part two of Warriors of Legend is split into five chapters: Family, Culture/Lifestyle, Education, Religion, and Foreign Influences. Each consists of an introduction explaining aspects of Japan as seen in the Sailor Moon series, and then a series of essays on one or more of the characters that are related to that subject. So, for example, much of the religion chapter is seen through the prism of Rei.
I don't think any mythology or related things would be in this book since this book is about Japan and there's really not much space for such things. While it may or may not be part of future Warriors of Legend projects (I wouldn't know), this project is more about Japan itself, technically all about Japan as it's subtitle is Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon, and such mythology is mostly from outside Japan. I believe I can safely say that the answer to your question is no.

Very good question, it gave me room to give a good answer while not really giving anything away that I'm not supposed to. Keep them coming. ^_^

Edit a few minutes later after seeing Luna's post that appeared as I was typing:
Luna1986 wrote:-Are you allowed to add anything to the what Jay has said on his site Marionight?
Nope. I will do my best in clearing up any questions based on what has been announced publicly and possibly make comments and such based on what I've seen of the book and site if I feel appropriate and an see an opening to do so, but you will essentially see nothing new from me that Jay hasn't announced.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon May 23, 2005 6:43 pm

This is a question that just came to me. If the book won't have any pictures from Sailormoon, due to copyright issues, what will the cover of the book look like? I can't imagine a Sailormoon book without a picture of the senshi or the logo on it.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon May 23, 2005 7:56 pm

I have seen the cover, but I'm not giving this one away just yet. >P What I will say is that you will be able to recognize it as a Sailormoon book for more than just the words on the cover and that "unauthorized" appears on the cover as well so no one confuses it as an offical product. I think that the cover looks nice and that most will think so as well even before considering that they can't use images. I will give you a hint on the cover, you can see it in the banner on the Genvid updates page, but I won't say which pic it is on there. Also I'll say that the book itself does contain some pictures, however these pictures are from areas and places in Japan itself that are presented in Sailormoon.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Mon May 23, 2005 8:44 pm

Ever since that "you shall see soon enough" comment, I knew that you knew something, Dan. Otherwise, you would have said "we." You're a big meanie. I can just see a chibi version of you doing the I Know Something You Don't dance. XP

I'll definitely be buying a copy of the book. And, I'll be talking all of my online friends into buying it as well. They will do so, or face my wrath.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.