Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:44 pm

The first time I saw Sailor Moon was the crappy dubbed version on Cartoon Network. It was my freshman year of high school (I think). I saw one episode and then had to see the next one, and subsiquently got hooked. Now I am a huge fan.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:26 am

First exposure to the series itself: First airing on CN. But it wasn't the first time I heard about Salior Moon

First exposure to Sailor Moon: A Sailor Mercury Quake II player model. Yup, Quake II, in a way, started me down the dark path of anime.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Lucied
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lucied » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:13 pm

I think I've got most of you beat for shortest time of liking the show :P

I started getting into SM around March 2003, so I guess about a year ago. I joined these forums soon after (Wow, they've almost been up for a year o_O)

I remember talking about it for some reason with my friend in my class who is also a Sailor Moon fan, and I started to get interested in the series. I remember there being one website I would always go to, it had music and a whole bunch of information, it was called the "Sailor Moon Hideaway", the site doesn't work anymore though :(

The dub aired like 3 or 4 times a day on YTV, so I watched a few episodes and then I taped episodes 31-40 and watched them alot, eheh. I then read about the subbed boxsets coming out that summer and decided to buy them, loved the sub ever since.

Even though I prefer the sub now, that tape that I made with dub episodes 31-40 on it still holds a neat little place in my heart :P
"I am the black mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!" - Black mage, 8-bit theatre

Kez-chan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kez-chan » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:33 am

I hope nobody minds me dragging up a pretty old topic ^_^

Anyway. Not a lot of people know that Sailor Moon Classic, R & S have been shown in the UK. Uncut. Sort of. ;) They were shown on a Japanese satellite channel that was intended for Japanese people living in the UK, but unfortunately you had to pay a fee for the channel on top of your normal satellite subscription. However, the channel went free-to-air one day for no reason and stayed that way for the whole of the Doom Tree arc, which was nice. It also went free-to-air for a random few weeks after that, letting me see more bits of R and a little bit of S. They used to show it at 6pm on Saturdays, and I was 14, and I was absolutely thrilled to bits that I was getting uncut anime from the source, as it were - and it was Sailor Moon! Even better!

The fact that I'd sit and be enthralled despite knowing only the tiniest bit of Japanese (I'd just started learning) was an indication of how much I'd come to love it in future. It's taken me a long time to start gathering it all up in translated versions, but now I have. And I was just lucky, I guess, because if I'd seen the dub first (and in the UK, only the DiC dubs have been shown, no Cloverway for us, NO!) and rated it on that, I might not be a SMoon fan now...

Lunaball1226
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

When and how did you get into Sailormoon?

Post by Lunaball1226 » Tue May 04, 2004 3:01 pm

My anime obsession started with watching cheesy dubs of the Samurai Pizza Cats. Later on I remember a friend of mine being really obsessed with Sailormoon, back in the dark ages when I didn't know anything about it. She made me watch episode 37, where the girls train to be princesses. I had no flipping idea what was going on. But then I started watching Pokemon, and there was a 30 min. gap where Sailormoon came on, So I watched it for something to watch, and I have been hooked ever since! :D
"Give sadness now my sailor eyes. Bringing a miracle, a sailor wing. Everybody carries a star of fate inside."

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue May 04, 2004 3:13 pm

There is already a topic exactly like this.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Lunaball1226
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Lunaball1226 » Tue May 04, 2004 3:56 pm

oh sorry, i searched through the sailormoon forum, and didnt find it.
"Give sadness now my sailor eyes. Bringing a miracle, a sailor wing. Everybody carries a star of fate inside."

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue May 04, 2004 4:30 pm

I am trying so hard this week between school stress and sickness to NOT be an ass and complete dick, and have honestly let other staff members take care of some things these past couple days to prevent that, but this is at least the third instance of one using an excuse saying they searched and couldn't find stuff. The particular original thread with this topic (now merged) was down halfway on the first page of this forum. If something could be found so easily as to scroll downh the page, and even moreso with the search engine on the top of every page in these forums, you didn't search shit. I am going to say this once and once only, read the damn rules, actually DO some searching and possibly even some research before posting so you don't look bad, and if these simple tasks are too hard, then get out because this shit is getting way out of hand and myself and the rest of the staff are no longer going to deal with it.

Everyone back on topic please.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

yamijounouchi
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by yamijounouchi » Tue May 04, 2004 8:55 pm

i got into sailormoon when i was in fifth grade. my sister's boyfriend had gotten her into it and one day she said she wanted to show me. i'd steered clear of the show previously because it looked stupid. the episode i first saw was the one where usagi and mamoru were watching that little kid or whatever. after that i was so obsessed with it i decided to tape it everyday so i could watch it over and over. i then became interested in the japanese version (and original anime altogether) because of this friend i had in sixth grade named christine. she would tell me about these japanese subtitled sailormoon vhses she had and it made me curious. the second i had enough money i bought the vhs sub of the second movie. ah! it shall always hold a special place in my heart.
"those with the least to smile about seem to be the ones that laugh the most. the lips smile, but the eyes reveal the truth." --- me

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:08 am

I was in first grade when I started having to go to daycare early in the morning before school, because my mother had to work, and it was there that I saw Sailor Moon for the first time. I had no idea what anime was at the time; I just thought it was a really cool with better animation that I was used to.

Well, I became a fan fast and just had to have all the dolls and such, watching the show religiously. It was also my first experience at crying over something I saw on TV; Nephlite's death. As the years went by, I drifted in and out of watching it, still having no idea it was edited or what the heck "anime" was, until I started watching Toonami. I decided I wanted to start collecting episodes of Outlaw Star, when I was startled to see a 16+ warning label on it, and that's when I made my discovery.

At the time, I don't think there was any uncut Sailor Moon available, and I got very upset over the fact that companies were doing such terrible things to anime. Sadly, all I have now is the uncut Sailor Moon S, and I can't find the original series anywhere, which was why I was thrilled to stumble upon this site.

What about you guys? I'm curious to hear about your experiences with SM as well.
STAGE OUT!!!

Crecent beam
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Crecent beam » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:21 am

I'm afraid you'll be told this has already been discussed.
Anyway, I first "met" Sailor Moon when I was about 10, and then I fell in love with it.
My Dad was just zapping, he found SM and said to my sister and me: Here you have some cartoons.
It was the third episode of the first season.

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:31 am

Ack, sorry; I even looked through past posts looking for something like what I wanted to ask. I really can never find what I'm looking for, even if it's right in front of my face; now I really feel like a newbie.
STAGE OUT!!!

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:15 am

It's ok; the last time the original thread was posted in was 2004. Interestingly, your topic has the EXACT SAME title as the original o_o

Topic merged.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:39 am

I used to work at a grocery story and they had sailormoon party plates and napkins.

after about 3 weeks of wondering about these I decided to look sailormoon up on the internet. I only found "hmmm" level stuff so I didnt think of it.

About a year later I caught the anime on tv and was hooked ever since. Though now I wont even watch the dub it is were I started.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Started with the dub

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:52 am

I've started watching Sailor Moon in dub form when it came in America. But now at this point I'm watching the original Japanese version with subtitles of course and I really enjoy seeing it UNCUT!! But I will always appreciate the dub because it introduce me to this wonderful, excellent show and I still like the dub--I don't dislike it but the original is way better and fills in places where the dub unfortunately didn't go.

Elanorea
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Elanorea » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:14 am

I first saw Sailor Moon when I was about six. It was on a german channel, so it was probably the german dub. Since I couldn't speak german then, I didn't understand anything, but I still liked it.
About a month ago I found some episodes on YouTube and decided to watch it, and found out it was much better than I had remembered (which was to be expected, since now I could actually understand what was going on XD).

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:12 am

I don't remember my first encounter with Sailor Moon too well but I know I got started watching it because of Pokemon. Sailor Moon used to come on right after it and I think I started watching it close to the end of the first season after Queen Beryl turned Darien (since I'm talking about the dub, I'll refer to them using their dubbed names) against Serena. I forgot what grade I was in at the time but I know I was in elementary school.

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:44 pm

Back in 1995, I saw commercials for it. I thought it looked kinda silly at first, but eventually I learned a friend of mine liked it, so I thought that maybe I should check it out. In December of that year, I got a TV for Christmas, and during Winter break I began watching Sailor Moon. The TV was black and white and for a long time I thought Sailor Moon's uniform was pink and white, not red, white and blue (pink seemed to fit her).

I don't remember what episode I saw first, but it was smack in the middle of the Molly/Nephlyte story arc. The romance intrigued me, you didn't see much romance on cartoons then, and I was hooked ^_^

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:20 pm

Probalby when I was young, I saw it on Toonami, and then tapped the eposides
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:01 am

I was 7 years old when the Swedish Dub started to air here and I was hooked from the start. Unfortunately, they only dubbed Sailor Moon and R and it took over 4 years for them to air the first season and another 1,5 years to air Sailor Moon R because someone on the tv-station though it was too "violent" :roll:
After that, another channel bought the rights and aired the two seasons 6 times over in less than 2 years.
It was great to be a fan then and it really got me interested to watch the following seasons but I first downloaded the English Dub of SM and SMR and it was horrific. I then continued to S and SS in English and it was better, me and my sister got a bit scared of Linda Ballantyne's voice in the first episode of S when she said "Everything's back to normal after the last showdown, or IS IT!!!" but it was way better the SM and SMR. I then continued to the Japanese version and I'm hooked ever since. :wink: