Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:39 pm

lazyasianboi wrote:first time i saw sailor moon was when my mom's freind's children were spending the night, for like a week. Farah (Who is a very good friend of mine) asked at about 4 oclock what channel cartoon network was on, and she was watching sailormoon DiC version. The first episode i ever saw was "VR Madness" and i instantly fell in love with it. I forgot the name of thew show, so i didnt see it :cry: until like... 1 year later, I saw the same episode one day when i was flippin through the cahnnels. (I reconised the animation). Then i started to really like sailor moon to the point where im on a website forums right now.
Oddly enough, since lazyasianboi is my brother, i saw the same episode as he did. It was basically the same story, except I knew what the show was, I just didnt know what time or channel it was, so I didn't see or hear of it, until like 3rd grade this gurl named rachel had a SM backpack, and I reconised the animation, and she gave me all the info i needed to know :P

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:57 pm

Oh, the first time I saw Sailor Moon was waay back during it's first run on YTV here in Canada in 1995. I was nine or ten at the time (I'm 17 now) and at the time, I though it was a stupid show. Then the following year, I made a friend who loved the show and she eventually won me over. It was originally the art and the love story between Usagi and Mamoru that drew me into it. Just like most of us at the time, we were stuck with the english dub and what made things worse was that I didn't have a computer at the time, so I never even knew about fansubs. My friend had a computer and she used to tell me about the stupid cuts that were made. At the time, I found it really hard to believe a company would make stupid cuts like that. So, we just watched the dub which aired every Saturday at 2:00. (We couldn't watch it during the week because of school) But then! My family finally got a computer two years ago! (I can't belive I was able to live without a computer at home for that long! Now, there isn't one day that I don't use the computer!) I then read about the differences at Castle in the Sky and I eventually found my way to SMU, where I learned about Pioneer's release of S and SS. Now I have most of S and I got both box sets released by ADV. Ever since I got my hands on the Japanese version, I've pretty much given up the dub completely. Well, I sometimes watch the reruns off and on, but hey..

Edit a few minutes later (original post that was made right after this was deleted, please read rules on double posting):

oh yes, I forgot to mention that I have stars on VHS too! Now, I'm hoping that Pioneer will get the rights to stars and release the dvd collection...

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:57 pm

I first got into Sailormoon when it was syndicated on UPN back in May '99, and I watched it from episode one onwards. Weary of watching it when I saw the stupid UPN-made commercials made for it back in 1995, I decided to give it another chance and watch it. By the time Rei-chan came, I was sold. I also got my little siblings into the anime soon as well. ^_^

The first subbed Sailormoon I saw, though, was a few episodes of Classic and R when SenshiTV still had the episodes up on their site, then the SuperS movies, some episodes of Stars, and recently, the other Sailormoon movies and SuperS DVDs. Although Sailormoon wasn't the first anime I saw (Astroboy, Samurai Pizza Cats, and Pokemon got me came way before then), it was the first I was extremely addicted to for a long period of time.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Akari Tenmeino
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Akari Tenmeino » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:21 pm

My first encounter with Sailor Moon was around 1996 when I was about 7. I turned on the TV early one morning around 6-8am and the 3rd dub episode of series 1, "Slim City" was on. (Funny, I guess that means DiC suceeded in making it a show for young girls to watch on Saturday mornings. :lol: ) Anyway, a few weeks later, I managed to see two other episodes. After that, I didn't get to see it again for another 5 years. I still remembered the name of the show and when it appeared on Fox Kids, I immediately started watching. This time, they were showing the entire series and this eventually led me to searching for Sailor Moon online. The rest is history. :)

Lena
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Lena » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:37 pm

Well, before I ever had seen the actual series, I keep hearing some other kids talk about Sailor Moon. I had seen some pictures of them in my cousin's room. My cousin tried to make me get into it and let me see some episodes. At first, I didn't like it because I though it was a stupid, girlish cartoon (I was trying to rebel from my "femininity" that time xD). Then after I watched some more, I somehow got hooked. Maybe it was the transformations or something? I think that was back in late 1998 or early 1999. From then on, I was just so obsessed with the show. I bought alot of stuff that was Sailor Moon from posters, wallscrolls, dolls, hair accessories, cds, dvds, vhs, etc. I would consume every info about it into my brain. My interest in Sailor Moon faded in 2001 because of my other interest in different kinds of anime.

And just last week, I was so bored, that I took out all my dvds and video tapes of Sailor Moon and re-watched them. Plus, I re-read the some of the manga I purchased. Heh, it made me into a Moonie again. Right now, I want to get the Sailor Moon uncut seasons boxset released from ADV, finish collecting the manga and the S and SuperS series. Problem is, I have no money. ;_;

Sailor Moon
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Moon » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:46 pm

For me it was way back in 1995. It was 1995 and I was very young. I would wake up every morning and one morning while I was channel surfing, I stumbled upon one of the first episodes of Sailor Moon. I thought it looked really cool, so I watched it. Usagi- well Serena, since it was the dub version, was in her human form. I thought her uniform looked really cool. I wondered what would happen, and I thought it was a cool teen show. I felt I related to her a lot. When she turned into Sailor Moon I thought the transformation scene was amazing. Then when it looked like she was in danger, a very handsome man appeared. It was Tuxedo Mask. I fell in love with Tuxedo Mask. Hearts seemed to appear over my eyes as I watched him. He came in at just the right moment. I fell in love. Darien and Serena now known as Mamoru and Usagi are my favorite anime couple ever. They were then and they still are now. Every time they kiss and hug I always feel so warm inside.

I watched the show every morning at 6:00. I was the only one who knew about it. Each morning I excitedly awaited what would happen next. I watched every morning. I also bought the dolls they put out, since I was the only one who ehard about it, the dolls were not expensive. I watched every morning and loved it. Since DiC only dubbed a certain amount of episodes, the episodes began to re-run and I saw each episode many, many times. After the millionth time of seeing every episode, I stopped watching. I was very young and forgot about it. It was very sad, since I discovered it all on my own in 1995.I forgot about how much I loved it in 1995, and when other cool kids would make fun of it, my favorite show, I would join in, even though it was my favorite show in 1995. I feel so bad about making fun of something I adored ever since I was a child in 1995. I even wrote about it in my diary, but I still must have forgotten the intense love for my favorite show. I was into it before it became popular. Then, about seven or so years later, I remembered my favorite show from 1995. By that time, I was the same age as Usagi-I mean Serena, and while when I was young I looked up to her, all those years later I felt like I could completely relate to her even more since we were on the same level. So I then went through nostalgia, rewatching episodes I watched back in 1995. I then ordered the Japanese episodes fan-subbed. I ordered them from the collest, nicest distributer, and realized how much the Japanese version differed from it's American counterpart. I loved the fan-sub version so much. Now I am older then Usagi. It's funny how the way I viewed it when I was half her age, the way I viewed it when I was the same age as her, and the way I view it now, older then her differs. I'll always remember those great tims in 1995.

Usagi and Mamoru aka Serena and Darien are and have always been my favorite anime couple ever. I've been a huge Sailor Moon fan since 1995, love both the Japanese version fan-subbed and the American dub, but the Japanese version fan-subbed is my favorite. I also love the live action version. I love how Usagi and Mamoru aka Serena and Darien kiss and hug and protect each other. I remember back in 1995, the first episode I saw was one of the very first episodes, back when they fought, and I love comparing it to how in all the seasons they always kiss and hug and are passionate. I feel proud to say that I watched their relationship from the very beginning. They are and ahve always been my favorite anime couple ever.
Usagi and Mamoru are my favorite couple ever. Usagi and Mamoru forever!

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:35 pm

I like UsagixMamoru, too, though it's not the reason I got into the show. It was the cute, cool, fun, non-stereotypical female leads that got me interested. Usagi, Ami, Rei, Makoto, Minako...still my favorite five characters to this day (and the reason the first season is my favorite).

Sorry for going slightly OT..
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Samurai XXX
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Samurai XXX » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:43 pm

The first time I watched SM was on Toonami way back in 1999. Never thought it was a good series and always avoided it. And because of that I watched SM at the start of R and never watched the first season. It was thanks to my brother that I started watching SM.
After Toonami got into reruns (and I finally watched the first season) just out of luck a local mexcian channel started airing S. And since it was Mexico I got my first view of SM uncut. From then I was able to watch S all the way through Sailor Stars (uncut).

Cheesemon
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Cheesemon » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:49 am

Ah, love topics that conjure up nostalgia ^^

My first encounted with Sailor Moon was back around June 95. Walking around this Chinese mall in Vancouver, and spotted this table full of t-shirts with these five cute anime girls on them. I couldn't read katakana back then, and didn't know much about anime, so I just kept walking pass the table again and again wondering, "Wow, these girls are cute, I wonder who they are?"

Then in August, YTV aired some teasers for a show with those same girls. What great timing. ^^ I ended up catching the very first broadcast of Sailor Moon in the western world, back when DiC's OP was actually a little different for one time only. Not sure if anyone remembers the original English OP, maybe Jadeite?

I actually got my dad to get internet just so I could find some more Sailor Moon info. It's still funny remembering back in 95 when there were only two English Sailor Moon sites. ^^

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:39 am

Ahhh... the joys of syndication. I first got in to Sailormoon in 1995 (I think...) when it was still being syndicated on Channel 26 in the WB at about 6 AM. THe first episode I saw was "Tuxedo Melvin." I didn't really get in to it until I saw the episode when Tuxedo Mask was injured by Zoicite. I was like....whoa this is getting pretty emotional. I started recording it because I couldn't wake up early enough and it started to blossom from there. I still have those tapes. :wink: BTW, the Sailor Says for that show really cracked me up because it had nothing to do with what actually happened in the show, I think it talked about proper diet or something.
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:37 pm

I remember my first encouter with Sailor Moon. I think it was when I was in 3rd grade, and that was 8 years ago. I saw it before I had to go to school and it was the episode where Sailor Mars is first introduced.

I was captivated by her transformation, and that's really what got me watching it. My brother was there too, but he was being an ass, saying it was for only a girls, and all he did was bash it.

I was mad. I couldn't see the rest of that episode because I had to go to school. But now, 8 years later, I have seen the all 5 seasons and own Sailor Moon R, S, SuperS, and Stars.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Dragon_King
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Dragon_King » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:41 pm

I saw Sailor Moon SuperS
Ok, So I like Neherenia, It don't mean I'm Wreid.

"To Err is human, But to really foul things up requires Supitd Teemmate" Frostinia, From My Fanfic, Sailor Moon Armageddon.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:56 pm

Dragon_King wrote:I saw Sailor Moon SuperS
....good for you. Care to elaborate?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

kaiou_michiru4590
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by kaiou_michiru4590 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:43 am

Lets see.... my first encounter with Sailor Moon... "Well... Haruka and I had been in an arcade and we met 2 really loud blonde girls and..."

Just kidding^_^

about 7 years ago when My parents bought us a satilite dish, I was flipping through the channels. It had been sometime between 4:00-4:30 on a school day when I come across Cartoon Network. It was a cartoon {*kills self* i mean anime, which I didn't learn till the next year when I got the internet^^} about some teenage girls.... and they were skiing! And there was talk about a moon princess and a black haired girl saying she was the moon princess and a boy going "Your the moon Princess?" and a blonde girl saying "She's not the Moon Princess! I am!"

It was the Ski episode from the first season X.x

Now my first encounter with Haruka... That should be left a secret^_^

~Kaiou Michiru
"Umi to Seigu no SAILOR fuku bishjoujo senshi! SAILOR NEPTUNE! Kaiousei ni kawatte Oshiokiyo!"

sarah3099
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sarah3099 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:03 pm

My first time watching sailor moon was when I was in third grade-1999 or 2000. I was up before my parents, and I was allowed to watch TV. I flipped to Cartoon Network automatically and I saw it and i thought it was weird at first but before the end I was already hooked and I haven't stopped loving it since.

sarah3099
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sarah3099 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:29 pm

I started watching it in 2000 or something when I was nine. I thought the plot was confusing- girls yelling and then turning into superheroes just to fight a monster- but before the end of the show I was already hooked. My favorite was ami because she had hair almost exactly like mine but mine was a different color. It soon grew to be lita because as I grew older(still liking it) I started to look more and more like her. Also because she was so cool to me! ^^

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:39 pm

Please, don't post the same thing in the same topic under 2 different posts. If you have anything to add, please you the edit button on your first reply. ^^;
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Hino_Rei552
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Hino_Rei552 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:12 pm

The very first time I ever came in contact with Sailor Moon was when my best friend Laura asked if I liked it. I had heard of it before, and to me it sounded like some stupid girl-ish show, so I said "No". Later, she and her sister brought it up again and I admitted that I had never seen the show. They filled me in about everything I needed to know, and I was really interested. They have a Sailor Moon club, so they let me read the binder they had full of information about the scouts, and I was instantly hooked! I read the first manga and I loved that, too. Now I'm a fanatic, and I know almost everything there is to know, not to mention that I am now a very active member in our Sailor Moon club. :)
The first episode I saw was a DiC dub. I don't remember what it was called, but it was a Doom Tree episode, the one where Jupiter's friend Ken is hurt by a Cardian. Actually, before that I saw two seconds of an episode that I have no idea what it's called. I do remember Mimete yelling, "I came here to steal a heart!"
Anyway...yeah. Now I've seen more episodes, although not many, I'm sorry to say. I've seen about 5 R episodes, 10 Doom Tree ones, and five of the original season. I really want to see more!
My LJ
My artwork

"It''s easy to write a jam that people wanna dance to. The hard ones to write are the deep, beautiful, pretty songs."
~Andre 3000

ZeoViolet
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Repost as requested, wide-flung opinion of Sailor Moon

Post by ZeoViolet » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:40 pm

*Sighs* Okay, so I missed this particular topic when first posting, so here it is, reposted in the "appropriate" thread. (I was giving my general opinion of Sailor Moon and thus barely mention first seeing it in the first place, so this one didn't exactly jump out at me....)

Only bother to read this if you are interested in a Newbie stating her wide-ranging interests regarding Sailor Moon. (I hope this was the right section to place this.) Otherwise you may be bored by my ramblings.

I never really got interested in Sailor Moon until halfway through the first airing of the S season here in the US. At the time, I had almost no exposure whatsoever to the japanese version of the anime, and since I'd heard that this was far less butchured than the first couple of seasons I'd barely seen, I figured that what I saw was what it truly was.

*grins* I've since learned otherwise, lol

Since then, having done my homework, I've concluded that to not only truly understand SM from more than one angle, but to keep from hating the dub, I had to learn to view the anime on several different levels.

Having seen the dub first, yes, admittedly on one level I truly enjoy it; after all, it is in my language and Rini is cute. I am a person who is unbothered by all but the dorkiest slang, and one of the few things I cannot stand is cut/missing/censored footage. (Why I bless DVD's....)

However, on the level that SM dub tends to, uh, "diverge" from the true original script, that, too, drives me crazy. I don't like to listen to my language on an anime and think that whatever it is they're saying isn't what was meant to be implied.

That caused me to develop and master a skill I enjoy having, thanks to DVD editions. I love to listen to the dub while, at the same time, reading the subtitles and comparing what was "really" said.

Everyone asks: Why change the script? If it is not obvious, why censor something, and thus make it sound stupid? (i.e "three o'clock MONDAY", Serena's "SYMBOLS", talk where there originally wasn't any.....)

My first answer is in the vastly different, "typical" storytelling styles between America and Japan. I've done my homework enough to know that emphasis on silence, sparse sound, no "explanation" for why everything is happening, etc is the general Japanese storytelling style.

Here in America, however, we seem to be obsessed with noise. We don't like silence. When we talk the one thing we can't seem to stand is silences, we have to make "small talk" to fill in that gap. The same for trying to "americanize" a popular anime. There MUST be talk. There MUST be lots of noise, and yes, there MUST be an explanation for why things are happening around us, something I have heard consultants from Japan say isn't always the point of a Japanese film. I'm no expert, of course, but from what I have seen in various anime, Sailor Moon included, this seems to be the case.

However, in this day and age, is doing that necessary? Yes, doing this can interfere and ruin any anime, and in numerous instances, ruined important cruical aspects of Sailor Moon. (Sestuna's "Dead Scream" whisper becoming a shrieking "PLUTO DEADLY SCREAM" being one of them....she has this shadowy, forbidding look in her eyes when she whispers it, it looks so earthreal and appropriate. When she screams it in the dub, that look takes on a very different dimension....she looks like she's on LDS when you couple that look with that scream....it's horrible!)

Besides, look at the huge, and I mean HUGE, anime explosion in the past couple of years. It is everywhere, and much more faithfully translated than ever, in general (I love "Chobits" for this....). I wish they'd do some work on SM and ante up the more faithful translation.

In general, I can enjoy the dub (including the movies, S being my favorite) when I am not comparing it against the sub, but when I do compare, the dub loses much value. Overall, I prefer the sub.....at least it's real.

DurgaRea
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Blizzard of 95!!!!

Post by DurgaRea » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:21 am

Yes, it takes me back. Freshman year of good ol' high school, winter of 1995, snowed in and having an extension on my Christmas vacation, I saw Sailor Moon on UPN or WB (I forget which ) and somehow I got hooked, like a soap opera.

Beforehand though I recall reading an article in Newsweek about Anime making a huge wave in the U.S., and Sailor Moon was mentioned, so seeing it on TV finally peaked my interest.

I was always curious as to what was going to happen next in each episode, so I kept watching. That's how i got hooked. :)
"Anyone without a soulfriend is like a body without a head" - Anam Cara, Irish Pagan quote