Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:30 pm

MarioKnight wrote:
Tiff wrote:
Starscream wrote:Anybody manage to catch the "lost episodes" when they were aired in SYNDICATION? I woke up one morning to Luna P changing into the Puu ball, and literally did a double take. "Sailor Pluto? In AMERICA?! Impossible..." I ended up watching the rest, and was thoroughly pleased.
...I though CN was the first to air them?
They were (in the US at least), but after their run on Toonami, they were added to syndication alongside the rest of the first seasons.
Really? For some reason, I distinctly remember it airing down in South Florida on our WB affiliate before it aired on Cartoon Network; in fact, I remarked to myself, "This isn't the first time they're on TV here..." Hmm...the mystery deepens...
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:13 pm

Starscream wrote: Really? For some reason, I distinctly remember it airing down in South Florida on our WB affiliate before it aired on Cartoon Network; in fact, I remarked to myself, "This isn't the first time they're on TV here..." Hmm...the mystery deepens...
If that were true, then it wouldn't make sense for them to have made such a big deal on Toonami about getting the episodes. The entire week before they aired it, there were nothing but commercials that said "They didn't want you to see them..BUT NOW WE HAVE THEM!"

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Miyamoto » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:30 pm

My first encouter with Sailor Moon was when it first released in 1995 dubbed. At that time (I was like 11 or 12) I didn't really know what anime was and I, like many other boys my age, thought it was "a girl's cartoon". Years passed and finally Cartoon Network was added to my cable lineup in the fall of 2000 (Comcast took forever to add it) and the Cloverway dubbed S season was on. From then on I was hooked. I then, not knowing better at the time, went out and bought the DiC dubbed first season (the first three tapes) because I wanted to see how the series began. That sorta straightened out my confusion but then I learned that the DiC dub was butchered beyond belief compared to the original. A year or so later I got my own laptop and I downloaded the low quality SM Classic and R fansubs. I was much happier. I then bought 2 of the S DVDs and then I downloaded the rest of S and the complete SuperS. Prior to that I had gotten from a friend in the mail tapes of the Stars season along with the S and SuperS movies subbed. Just for the fun of it I taped the S and SuperS movies dubbed off of CN when it aired in November of 2001. I then got the R movie subbed and the R movie theatrical short "Makeup Sailor Senshi", which explained to the viewers what SM was all about if this was the first they had seen of it. Since SM I've branched off to many other animes and I'm a true anime fan now. I have most of the subbed Inuyasha episodes, all of Love Hina, I've seen Ai Yori Aoshi (season 1) etc etc. SM was my gate to anime. It's still one of my favorites. I tried PGSM but to me it's too Power Rangers like... They sorta rushed the story in my opinion.. but that would be going a little too far OT for this post so I'll stop here. :D

Jadeite
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Jadeite » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:29 pm

Oh my.... seeing this topic brings back memories! lol

My first expiriance with Sailor Moon was actually during the very first run, VERY FIRST NA episode ever broadcast. I remember seeing a single preview right before the episode aired and had not recalled seeing any previews before hand so I stayed and watched it. Right from the first time I saw it I was hooked, no question, the humour (that was almost 10 years ago now, so back then I didn't know the NA version was so.. well you know) the story, everything about it grabbed my interest. It's really scary to think that my love for it started so long ago... with the very first NA broadcast of Sailor Moon ever... *minor tear form* lol

Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Miyamoto » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:16 pm

Jadeite wrote:Oh my.... seeing this topic brings back memories! lol

My first expiriance with Sailor Moon was actually during the very first run, VERY FIRST NA episode ever broadcast. I remember seeing a single preview right before the episode aired and had not recalled seeing any previews before hand so I stayed and watched it. Right from the first time I saw it I was hooked, no question, the humour (that was almost 10 years ago now, so back then I didn't know the NA version was so.. well you know) the story, everything about it grabbed my interest. It's really scary to think that my love for it started so long ago... with the very first NA broadcast of Sailor Moon ever... *minor tear form* lol
lol Jadeite I know how you feel. I used to hate SM just because it was a crappy dub but once I saw the sub I fell in love with the Senshi! ^_^

Vchan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Vchan » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:02 pm

Back on the first run of Classic and R on CN, (I think I was around nine or ten at the time, so it would be what, 1997ish?) I watched it religiously. I identified with Amy and she was my favourite character.
Flash forward to the summer after third year, the end of junior high. I had just come home from a final and was totally beat. There was NO WAY I was studying for awhile, and plus I had to make my graduation dress. I sat down in front of the TV with my material and stuff, and the first thing I clicked to was CN. Sheep in the Big City was on- I love that show- so I watched that. Then, they said "Coming up next, Sailor Moon." I thought, "Hey, I remember that show!" Luckily enough for me, it was the first episode. I remembered hardly anything, even though on the last run, I had seen up to the end of R, I think. Again, I watched it religiously. I became fascinated with Minako. CN took SM off before she appeared. I wanted to know who Sailor Venus was. This was what started my love affair with Aino Minako.
Also at this time, I started getting into anime. I had no clue, of course, that Sailor Moon WAS anime. I just liked that, too. I decided one day, after a summer of being absolutely obbessed by SM, to see if there were any internet sites about the series. The first site I found was Hitoshi Doi's and the rest is history.
"Come on, you can do better than that!"- Famous last words.

Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Miyamoto » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:01 pm

Vchan wrote:Back on the first run of Classic and R on CN, (I think I was around nine or ten at the time, so it would be what, 1997ish).
Might be a silly question (lol) but how old are you now? I was 16 when I started watching it... It'll be three years ago this December 1st that I've been an SM fan.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:19 am

Miyamoto wrote:
Might be a silly question (lol) but how old are you now? I was 16 when I started watching it... It'll be three years ago this December 1st that I've been an SM fan.
There's already a topic asking what people's ages are.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Miyamoto » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:21 am

Rainbow wrote:
Miyamoto wrote:
My bad. lol I'm not acqainted with the new board yet.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:57 pm

Rainbow wrote:
While I appreciate you trying to help, this is the mod's job.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

RyoRei0110
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RyoRei0110 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:55 pm

I don't remember when I actually started watching it, but the earliest memory I can think of... is waking up at 6 a.m. and watching the Snow White episode on the WB.. and then I would watch Samurai Pizza Cats right after it. I was in about third grade.
::cries:: Its been forver!! And this place has changed... oh how I''ve missed it all ::hugs::

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:56 pm

In my case, First Contact with "Sailor Moon" happened when it first aired in 1995. "The Return of Sailor Moon" I think. I was intrugued and became a fan ever since, even after I found out about the show's origins. :)
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Sailor Sapphire
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sailor Sapphire » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:17 pm

Here's my SM memory for ya:

The Time: Summer 99 (I think)
The Place: My house
I'm sitting at my bedroom window looking outside (and at the same time wondering what to do). My sister was watching SM on TV, and curious, I asked what it was about. She tried to explain it, but I had no earthly idea what she was talking about.

Next day, I sit down and watch it, and instantly fall in love with Sailor Jupiter! My first episode was "Much Ado About Babysitting"

Since then, I have seen most of the English version, and some subbed episodes (want to see English Super S)
Bringing a presence that's cold as ice, I am the icy cool Gem Senshi, Sailor Sapphire!

Sapphire Gem Power, make up!

KariOhki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by KariOhki » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:42 pm

Hmm, I believe it was the summer of 1998, and I was 10 years old. I remember coming home after school and watching CN. One day, I happened to watch Toonami. I believe the first episode I saw was that one with the airport and the planes attacking and stuff.
Then, after a couple of episodes, I stopped watching. About two weeks later, I tuned in again, and they had a fourth person in the group, which confused me greatly. After a few episodes, I believe they started the series from the beginning again. That's when I got my little obsession with Sailor Moon.

Looking back on this now, I can't believe I was obsessed with the dub of SM. For a random note, I didn't see my first subbed episode until about a year or so ago. And I didn't know how butchered it was until about a year after it stopped showing on CN.

Anubi: Oh God.
Anubi: I just saw Mog/Terra hentai.
Kari: XDDDDDDDDDDDD
Anubi: My life is snow scarred.
Kari: ooooo, snow
Anubi: Oo, fun.
Anubi: SNOW SCARRED.
Anubi: WHOO.

Sailor Sapphire
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sailor Sapphire » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:19 pm

Don't get me wrong, I respect the dub, it had its good points.

Then again I have almost nil access to subbed episodes...::sigh::

I'm beginning to appriciate the sub too after my sister got one of the S DVDs. We watched the English first, then watched again subbed.
Bringing a presence that's cold as ice, I am the icy cool Gem Senshi, Sailor Sapphire!

Chibi chibi star
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Chibi chibi star » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:51 am

I guess it all began when I was nine. I was just flipping through the chanels when I saw Sailor Moon on. I was like, "Hey, this looks cool, why not watch it?" Even though it was the dubbed version, I watched it and instantly fell in love with it. From that point on, it sparked my interest in anime. Today, I have two posters (custom made) honoring Sailor Moon in my room, have the Moon Locket, the Moon Crecent Wand, a Japanese imported Chibi Moon doll, a 1997 Chibi Moon doll (from America), and a 2001 Sailor Moon doll (American also). As you can see, Sailor Moon is a classic in my book.
I wish on a star...
Just to be with you...
Please find me...
Call my name for me...
I'll be there for you...
My only love...

Sailor Sapphire
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sailor Sapphire » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:21 am

You could say we have SM to thank for making all of us anime fans

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:41 am

Sailor Sapphire wrote:You could say we have SM to thank for making all of us anime fans
Somewhat. Actually, Pokemon was my first anime, at least, it was the first one I started noticing Japanese culture things in it and the first one I knew WAS anime. Then came Sailor Moon. More likely, being a Sailor Moon/Pokemon INTERNET fan got me into anime, since I read about the anime shows on the web.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sailor Sapphire
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sailor Sapphire » Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:36 pm

I like Pokemon too, but SM really started me on anime.

PS: In an SM/Pokemon/Digimon crossover fic I'm writing, my fav. Sailor (Jupiter), is paired with my fav. Pokemon (Pikachu

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:13 pm

Sailor Sapphire wrote:You could say we have SM to thank for making all of us anime fans
Nah. I was born in Japan, so I had seen anime long before SM was even made...I had always loved the style, and watches some of the 80's anime that was shown in the U.S.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama