Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Raven Sana
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Raven Sana » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:15 pm

I can't remember well, but I know it was when I was about 3 years old. I watched it on the channel USA. It was mostly Sailor Moon R, since I remember seeing Rini and a little bit of Anne and Alan.

Then I became a fan again when I was about five and saw it on Toonami. But they kept showing Sailor Moon Classic, then R, and again and again with the same episodes, so I stopped watching it. Fast foward to about a year or two later, where I saw a commercial for brand new episodes of it, and I recall seeing Sailors Uranus and Neptune and going, "Wow!"

My first S episode was the second episode of Serena's birthday 2-episode saga. I thought, "Why are their voices different?" It was hard for a while to see the episodes because my brother was obsessed with taping Pokemon, which was on the same timeslot as SM. I finally saw all of them without a problem. Then I saw SuperS, went to a website to research on Sailor Moon (I was really into anime at the tender age of 7!), learned about the truth of Haruka and Michiru in Anime Invasion (the old title of Anime Insider), saw pictures of the Star Lights and was thoroughly confused, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Sorry to ramble on. ^^; This topic brought back some great memories.

Star Girl
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Star Girl » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:03 pm

I can remember my first encounter pretty well considering it was all those years ago. If my memory serves me correct I was in the third grade and 9-years-old. I had just returned from living overseas and was suffering from a case of jet lag. These were the days before I began to play video games and it was fairly early in the morning, I think about six thirty in the morning I believe, and I had nothing really else to do other than watch t.v. since both of my parents were fast asleep. So I turned on the t.v. and began flipping through the channels until I ended up on the WB channel which was in the midst of playing the Sailor Moon theme song for the Kindergarten episode of the Ann and Allan arc. Not much to say other than I was hooked.

Sailorsnake1986
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sailorsnake1986 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:39 am

First saw it a few years ago, MUSIC is what got me to it, I downloaded the theme later. Than after I got a job, I bought 2 DVD sets with 72 episodes. Planning on getting the Japanese versions after a while. See Sailor Moon the way it was MEANT to be seen.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:21 pm

I saw it when I was in Kindergarten. I was interested, so I came home everyday, did my homework, and watched Sailor Moon. Sometimes with my mother and younger sister's, sometimes by myself. That is also how I found out Toonami shows.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:30 pm

I was doing homework and flipping the channels at the same time and there was nothing on. I dropped my pencil and bent to pick it up. Somehow I sat on the remote and SM came on. I was hooked, and I never got annoyed at my pencils for falling again!
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:50 pm

Ha! That story is so funny! Especially because it happened with me and how I got to watch "Tenchi Muyo!" :D :D :) :P
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Sailorsnake1986
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sailorsnake1986 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 am

Bad thing is Sailor Moon isn't on air anymore. :(

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Yes, but sometimes I watch old reruns on You Tube.

sailorceres
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailorceres » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:11 am

The first time I saw Sailor Moon I was actually in Colombia and saw it in spanish! It was "Shingo's Love! Sorrow French Doll" The one were he has this friend from school and he acidentaly breaks the doll she won a prize with.Nephrite then uses the dolls to measure the young girls energy peak pint through a doll. When I moved the the US I searched the channels until one day I found it on cartoon network. I remember seeing a new season every summer...and then eventually I realized it was anime, and found the opriginal japanese series and saw the whole thing
Aitto Seigi, Sailor no Bishojo Senshi, Seera Mun! Tsukini Kawatte, Oshioki Yo!

Master85
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Master85 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:05 am

My first encounter with SM was, i still remembered the date, 15th July 2001. I was waiting to watch Dragon Ball but a change of programme happened and SM started with the first episode.

Dr Tomoe
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Dr Tomoe » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:22 am

The 1st May of 1997 was one of the days of my Destiny. It was from the very first moment... and still continues. Forever will. Live Forever.

MaybeGlory
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by MaybeGlory » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:18 am

All I remember is that after that day I loved it and still do! It was the Crystal Clear Destiny episode so that ruined the first few episodes for me! But anyway LOL I still watch it on Youtube! DAILY

Lightweight
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Lightweight » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Wow, I have to check my brain's backlog for this...

It was around 1998 or something, and I was SO into Pokemon (although this was before pokemania got ahold of the US), and I watched it early morning on the WB. Once, I got a bit more time to watch, and I got a glimpse of Sailor Moon. My first reaction must've been...

"Cool... now what's on next?"

Of course, later on, I grew into it more and more, and by the time I knew CN had it on Toonami, I was absolutely excited. Of course, I was the ONLY one in a 50-mile radius who watched the thing, so I kept quiet about it. Eventually, I became disenchanted with it... until they started showing the S saga! After that, I started watching religiously (Probably one of the reasons the S saga is my favorite of the lot).

Ah, the memories... [nostalgia music plays in the background]
Now listening to: Gorillaz: El Mañana

"You can teach an old dog new tricks... but you cannot teach Madonna to act."
-Yakko Warner

Officially finished watching all Sailor Moon episodes as of April 19, 2008!!!

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:17 pm

Hmmm....actually, I once saw the dolls sold in stores when I was about 9, and my aunt said I could get any toy I wanted, so I picked a Sailor Mercury. But she looked at it and said, "That's an ugly doll. Wouldn't you rather have a Barbie?" I looked at Mercury and agreed, she WAS ugly. :P
Later that day, I saw Sailor Moon for the first time, and I wished I had gotten that doll (she didn't seem so ugly to me then).
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:49 am

oh man...i remember i was probably around 7 or something like that when i saw a commercial for it on channel 13, but i never saw it again, and i was sad, because it looked soo cool.

then, in 5th grade, i was flipping the channels, and i saw that cartoon network was showing it...i think the episode i saw was the one when rei becomes a senshi. i was HOOKED. i would set an alarm on my watch for when it would come on, and i'd get really bitchy if my mom decided to do an errand afterschool, making me get home late and missing sailor moon. plus in grade school, i wasn't allowed to watch tv during the week, so i was very sneaky about watching sailor moon. oh and i had a countdown for when the lost episodes were gonna show...and i remember i cried when i missed the R movie showing on cartoon network, but i ended up renting it at Blockbuster...

but then my love kinda died around 7th-8th grade...but it was brought back when i got the internet when i was 14...because the first thing i did when i got the internet was search for sailor moon. XD
R.I.P. Jennifer Blanco 11/09/87 - 11/13/05

"I go with the flow. Whatever music you play for me, I will dance."
- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

Kohdok
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Kohdok » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:50 am

My first encounter was indirect. When I was much younger, I had a girlfriend who fell into the series so completely that, for a while, it was the only thing she could talk about. She was deep for the time and, even though I had never seen the show, I had enough knowledge to know that Neptune and Uranus were actually lovers, not cousins just from listening to her rantings. I watched one episode, and it bored me because I tuned in the day they had the flashback episode.

My next encounter came five or six years later at an anime convention. I bought one of those "Grab bags" that some of those booths use to get rid of excess merchandise and it had some DiC trading cards in them (One of which I later learned was actually of a scene they had cut) I still have all 12.

Closer to modern times, I was shopping in Half-Price books and there it was: Volume one of the manga for $6. I sighed and finally gave into the hounding this show has given me. At least now I can get what some people talk about nowadays... I'm currently swiping the first season fansubs from Anime Avatar.

Innocent Dimande
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Innocent Dimande » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:19 am

My first ecounter with Sailor Moon was when I was in second grade. The Bookmobile (our city's library on wheels) had come to our school and I was looking through all the books looking for something to check out, when something caught my eye in the movie section: Sailor Moon.
I thought 'Hmmm, this looks interesting.", so I checked it out and took it home. I fell in love with the series instantly. The first episode I ever watched was "Wedding Bell Blues". If I remember correctly, I rewound the tape and rewatched it multiply times. After watching that, I started making my own senshi, the Outer Senshi (because I didn't know at the time that there already were Outer Senshi), it was fun.
My first ecounter with the manga was in fourth grade. At first, I thought 'Eww, comic books? How childish.' But then I took Volume 10 home one night...
Now, four years later, I am the biggest manga and anime freak in the city. All thanks to Sailor Moon.

smfan423
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by smfan423 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:03 pm

First encounter (though minor) were commericals. I wrote it off as a girls show and I was pretty heavy into Power Rangers. I don't think I ever saw one of episode or portion of it back then but I might have seen the tail end of one or two when before Power Rangers (either in the morning or afternoon).

I am not sure of the next time I saw it but it was probably when it was on the Saturday midnight run block on toonami. I was a night owl (esp in the summer). I saw it on (either it was after reboot or before it, no sure). I remembered the commerical from years ago (the time was probably late 99 to early 00 btw) and so I decided to give it a try. I don't remember which episode was first, but the only episode I have a strong memory was Computer School Blues (Amy's debut). The reason why I remember it is probably the fact that I dad walked in and said I needed to turn the tv off and go to sleep (I was in my bed btw), so I turned my tv off and missed half the episode because the show ran from 11:45 to 12:15 and my Saturday bedtime was 12:00...sucks I know. I remember another time this time and the clock said something like 12:03 to 12:07 or something like that. Anyway, I said the show was almost over and he said to go ahead and finish it and then off with the tv. I don;t remember the episode, though. I remember saw several sm episodes this way (maybe 3 to 7 I think with a few cut short). I also remember glimpses of the R season but I don't remember when I saw these glimpses. The glimpses were of crystal tokyo, alan and ann, and Rini in a bed (I must of seen several minutes of this episode I didn't stay to watch it but it definitely intriqued me esp. when I was watching it on midnight run). I scene I remember of Rini was where she was in a bed and I thought it was a hospital but it was that episode where her dreams have been invaded and the scouts first meet Pluto through Luna P. I don't remember when I saw these scenes as they could have been on the show's original run, a run on cartoon network in the late 90s, or around the time I was watching it on midnight run (so either, Saturday morning or Weekday afternoon or maybe much earlier before midnight run days).

Moving on, that summer I heard was passing through CN and saw Sailor Moon S (I may have got some of the promos, but I didn't bother to watch). So I watched and it was pretty good, but I messed most of the first part (first several weeks). I started to get into anime here watching Ronin warriors until it was replaced by other shows that were really good: Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing (which I messed a good piece but after started that I was hooked). Tenchi Muyo was also a very powerful hooker and it may have been Mr. Muyo that helped lock me into watching Sailor Moon more regularly (although Ms. Neptune did a pretty good job herself I was 13/14 at the time; and was actually rather shocked to find out that she was...well...the other way which was shortly before I joined the forum here). I remember trying to keep up with the show though but it was a little difficult at times but it got easier as the show progressed. I continued watching the show during its repeat in the fall and watched the show rather religiously once school started. I also got really hyped up when Intruder came. Not much more anime watching than that.

Once I had finished watching both seasons, I didn't see much more of the show as Toonami repeated the S season after SuperS. My SM fascinations continued for a while into the summer of 2001 as I remained vigilant for a Sailor Moon movie. Band Camp started and then back to school and my major Cartoon Network cartoon-watching Friday nights ended with football games on Fridays, so no more checking on that elusive SM movie. It finally came in November but I had left Sailor Moon by then and the movies were missed (didn't have any footballs games the nights for the S and Super S movies either).

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:16 pm

I woke up early one morning for school (middle school) and turned on the TV at 6:30. I came into the series at the time Tuxedo Kamen was under the control of the Dark Kingdom. I didn't understand what was going on back then but I liked the show anyway and watched it for a few months (weeks?). Then forgot about the show for 5 years.

Jared
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Jared » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:38 am

Wow, this is a hard one... I have a lot of vague memories but nothing concrete. I do remember one of the first episodes I saw, if not the first episode I saw, was one of the Classic episodes. I believe Usagi was at the hairdressers or getting a haircut, or something of that nature? Memory is very sketchy. I was maybe six or so and kind of dismissed it as a girls cartoon, but I think I got some enjoyment out of it and perhaps was even secretly interested in seeing more, but I didn't want to admit that to myself, haha. Saw some episodes here and there, but nothing really stands out beyond incredibly vague details. I also remember them at a snow resort or something like that. I also have sketchy memories of Ail and An.

Fast forward a bit, and an Australian cable channel called Fox Kids was doing marathons of certain shows for one or two weeks at a time during school holidays. I was maybe eleven or somewhere around that age this time. Sailor Moon was one of them. I was bored and remembered the show from when I was younger, so I figured hey... Why not? They were showing the very end of R which I didn't really understand as I hadn't seen the rest of the season. S started immediately after that. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, and went to research it online. I already knew things such as Haruka and Michiru being lesbians, Zoicite being a girl etc. because I followed other anime back then and had heard people speak on forums etc. I got sent some subs from a friend and so on. Got to really enjoy the series but I soon grew other interests and it kind of fell to the wayside, along with anime as a whole.

So fast forward even more to now. School holidays a few months back, I was bored and looking around the net. I remembered this site, looked it up again, and was inspired to watch a Sailor Moon episode on Dailymotion for old times sake. I barely saw any of R, so I went for that. I chose 'Venus Minako's Nurse Mayhem' and really enjoyed it. I figured, hey... That was awesome, so why not watch another one? I decided that since I missed most of R and that was the season I'd seen the least of, I'd go for that. Ended up watching the second half of the season. I started at the episode 'In Search of the Silver Crystal! Chibiusa's Secret ' although in retrospect I'm not sure why I didn't just go from the start of the season. Watched everything from then on and really liked it. When it finished I wanted more, so since I never saw Classic in it's entirety I went for that, this time from the first episode. Pretty soon after I decided I'd just watch the entire series, slowly but surely.

I'm currently at episode 33 and going strong!

EDIT: And holy shit! I just watched a few clips of the dub. I hadn't seen it since I started subs... I can't believe I used to watch that. The voices are SO irritating after you're used to the Japanese seiyuus. Unbelievable.