Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

artemis_is_my_dawg
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by artemis_is_my_dawg » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:54 am

my first encounter was when i was 10. i was never watching TV, so i never got to see it on CN. but, when we got our computer, i was obsessed with surfing the web. eventually i ran across pictures of Sailor Moon (i have no clue where) it was really beautiful, so i started saving pictures until i had a packed full folder. then after a year or so, i started ordering tapes of it and i had a bunch of volumes. after a while when i had watched each tape about 70 times, i learned it was on CN and we had gottne cable. so i went right away to watch it, and learned it was taken off. how lucky was i? then i forgot about sailor moon (omgz i was crazy) and just this year my brother gave me software to download TV shows, riht away i got every season of sailor moon! and the movies!

CharmedFaith
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by CharmedFaith » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:25 pm

My first encounter ofcourse was when the show first premired on CN, I was probably around 9-10? Ofcourse since I was so young, I loved it instantly. But now when I watch the dub, I dont enjoy it half as much.

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:47 pm

It was around '95-'96. I was about 4 or so and the episode where Amy was introduced was played (2 times in a row to... it was weird...) I thought it was cool so I just kept watching... and watching...

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:39 pm

I was introduced to Sailor Moon when Bandai was promoting the SM line of toys on TV. One morning in 1995, when I was getting ready to go to junior high, WB11 (WPIX) was airing SM, and I was watching it every morning ever since.

My mark-out moment while watching the series was the famous cliffhanger in episode 30 (which aired on a Friday) after Sailor Moon was revealed to be the Moon Princess, while the song, "My Only Love", is playing! I just have that song which played during that scene stuck in my head since then. Of course, I had to wait till Monday for the payoff.

After I watched that same scene in Japanese, the original song ("Maborashi Silver Crystal" [sp?]) fits the Silver Crystal's appearance.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:20 pm

Ooo...this a a kool discussion....it was either late kindergarten or early 1st grade...1997, and me and my brother were turning on Cartoon Network and it was sort of early in an episode of Sailor Moon; "Food Fetish" where Lita gets her Jupiter Thunder Dragon or whatever. The first thing I remember seeing was Amy and Lita walking down the hall and they see Alan (I'm using dub names just because I'm talking about the dub) or something like that but I don't remember the rest of the episode. It was like the 1st anime I ever saw so my brother and I called it "The Big-Eyed People Show". I found out it was on toonami at 4 o'clock and I started to watch it. I told my mom it was called Sailor Moon and she thought it was some sci-fi show where a guy sails to the moon on some sort of futuristic boat. I (embarrassingly) like to follow the motions that each "scout" used to perform their transformations and attacks but I was embarrassed when my family saw me. (Well I was in 1st grade.) I swear I could remember them switching her transformation each run-through of the seasons. I thought that the first run of the show they had her use Moon Prism Power and then when they started from episode 1 again they switched it to Moon Crystal Power. I was wrong but I could have sworn that was what they did. I also thought episode 2 dub was called "Midnight Zero" and it wasn't and that's really freaky because I had never gone online and found out that that was the original name of the radio program she was listening to. I had not read the novel either so I'm confused how I thought the episode was called that. Eventually, I started making these god-awful books about Sailor Moon using attacks and transformations at random that I could recall hearing. I kept all the enemies but they came in at totally random spots. Plus, I couldn't spell prism or their names either. "Sireena" transformed into "Salor Moon" by saying "Moon Presome Power!" The pictures I drew were horrible but I was still in first grade. I remember in my second-to-last book I made in that first group (because I made more fanfics when I was older) there was a evil princess who was Prince Diamond's sister and Mercury freezes her magic wand with "Mercury Ice Water Splash" and the princess says "I don't care! I can make it back to real!" My 1st grade grammar. Well I think that's a good recap of my early Sailor Moon days. Now I'm getting the uncut Japanese episodes on DVD and so far I have the 1st Season and the Stars Season and all 3 movies. I'm going for Sailor Moon S next.

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:16 am

My first encounter was... two days ago?

Yeah, so I was just dicking around on YouTube when I randomly thought, "Hey, I wonder if they have Sailor Moon subs on here". (I had, for all intents and purposes, no experience at all with the series until this Saturday. I played the translated RPG for the Super Nintendo - which I didn't get all that far into, barely remember, and didn't understand in the first place - watched a minute of the show when I was a little kid, and had this little phase in 8th grade where I jammed out to the theme song but didn't actually watch the show, and... that's it.) I was halfway-amused by the thought of watching Sailor Moon, but I was bored, so. I did a search for "Sailor Moon final episode" just to see how long it was. "200 episodes, huh?" Good. I like my series long. Slayers so should have had more than three seasons. =[ But, uh, I digress. So anyway, I search for Sailor Moon episode 1 and started watching.

The first thing I noticed is how wonderfully classic and retro it feels. Everything about it just feels smothered in that 80s campy cartoon feel (even though it's from the early 90s). I first noticed it whenever Usagi and Luna's silhouettes were shown on the face of the moon, and Usagi running towards/away from the screen reminded me of the first season theme song from Ranma (which was also typical classical Japanese style)... so yeah, I guess I got my first positive impressions on the series in the first 25-35 seconds.

The first minute of the episode won me over. It was incredibly classic and simple, just the way a first episode should be, and Usagi is so damn cute. I noticed that her crying tendencies are... rather abnormal for a 14-year old. After that, I don't have much specific to comment on... it was just your normal first episode where new things are introduced left and right, only in this case it was done extremely well. By the end of the episode, it was all too clear that my preconceptions were wrong and Sailor Moon kicks some major ass.

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:54 am

Dr. Casey wrote:My first encounter was... two days ago?

Yeah, so I was just dicking around on YouTube when I randomly thought, "Hey, I wonder if they have Sailor Moon subs on here". (I had, for all intents and purposes, no experience at all with the series until this Saturday. I played the translated RPG for the Super Nintendo - which I didn't get all that far into, barely remember, and didn't understand in the first place - watched a minute of the show when I was a little kid, and had this little phase in 8th grade where I jammed out to the theme song but didn't actually watch the show, and... that's it.) I was halfway-amused by the thought of watching Sailor Moon, but I was bored, so. I did a search for "Sailor Moon final episode" just to see how long it was. "200 episodes, huh?" Good. I like my series long. Slayers so should have had more than three seasons. =[ But, uh, I digress. So anyway, I search for Sailor Moon episode 1 and started watching.

The first thing I noticed is how wonderfully classic and retro it feels. Everything about it just feels smothered in that 80s campy cartoon feel (even though it's from the early 90s). I first noticed it whenever Usagi and Luna's silhouettes were shown on the face of the moon, and Usagi running towards/away from the screen reminded me of the first season theme song from Ranma (which was also typical classical Japanese style)... so yeah, I guess I got my first positive impressions on the series in the first 25-35 seconds.

The first minute of the episode won me over. It was incredibly classic and simple, just the way a first episode should be, and Usagi is so damn cute. I noticed that her crying tendencies are... rather abnormal for a 14-year old. After that, I don't have much specific to comment on... it was just your normal first episode where new things are introduced left and right, only in this case it was done extremely well. By the end of the episode, it was all too clear that my preconceptions were wrong and Sailor Moon kicks some major ass.

Glad that you liked the first episode of Sailor Moon. Wait until you watch the rest of the 1st season and the rest of the 4 other seasons. I think you are going to love this show. The subs are WAAAY better than the dubs so stick with the subs. As you watch Season 1, pay attention to the actual plotline that goes through all 46 episodes of this season, or else you will get confused.

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:00 am

My first encounter was sometime in the 90's when it came on CN, I almost instantly became in love with it
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

Kazuki
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Kazuki » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:24 am

Mine was around 2000, when Fox Kids in the UK started it's first run of airing SM, I think the first episode I must've watched was the Tuxedo Melvin episode.

Anyways, I was completly in awe with the pretty transformations and attacks, I'd never seen anything so strange before, so I kept watching, and eventually sell in love with the anime.

'Course, OI got pissed off after ahwhile, since 2 years after the show first started they still hand't shown S, I desperatly wanted to see it, I googled it, campaigned on the website, played all the Games (ROM form) and found all about S.

They SAID, they were gonna show it, heck, they even put a commercial on FoxKids advertizing the new show, but alas nothing came of it.

bunnylove
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bunnylove » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:04 am

My first encounter was in 1994 when French Tv begins to broadcast the show : it was love at first sight ! :D

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:14 pm

i think i stared watching the dubbs on cartoon network when i was in... first grade? um yeah im pretty sure it was first. i don't remeber anything about those sailor moon days, but according to my mom, i loved it. me and my friends would play it at recess (i think i was either moon or mars, (again, i've lost all recollection). and then i, you know, just... stopped. i don't remeber how, but i think i started doing other things besides watching tv after school. and i got it in my head that it was a baby show. the only thing that i remebered about the show all these years was the theme song (i never managed to forget the lyrics), some random pink haired girl, and a few of the "scouts". i didn't even remeber thier names! and then a couple months ago (or maybe it stared a year ago? who knows when the idea got stuck in my head) i started to think about it. you know, the kind of nostalgic "i used to love that when i was little lol i wonder what ever happened to it" thing. and then by some random miracle, i was blog surfing, and someone had posted episode 1 subbed from youtube. i thought "whoa thats freaky because you know, i was just thinking about that!" and i watched it. before i knew it, i was on youtube and eating up the episodes. it was like first grade, only much better. personally, i think it was fate that lead me to that blog. sing praises to youtube! :lol: now im working on buying all the dvds.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

*KEEP-SM-ALIVE*
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by *KEEP-SM-ALIVE* » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:50 pm

To tell you the truth, it's actually kinda hard to remember lol. It seems like I've always loved it...but i'm pretty sure my friend got me into it...btw, so jealous because she has ALOT of SM movies and episodes and even the dolls...she got them when the show was first popular so she was real young...Im hopefully gonna be able to borrow them some time! :D

Bluemax-ct
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Bluemax-ct » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:43 pm

First of I've been watching anime since Astro Boy first aired in the 60's. My son was 7 years old when Sailor Moon first aired and I saw a couple of episodes. At the time I thought it looked interesting but felt it lacked continuity and the story line made no sense, latter I found out about the doubted version problems. About five weeks ago while checking out the anime section at my local independent video store I found the complete uncut first season collection of Sailor Moon. At this store the employees tag some videos with their recommendations, which this had. I gave the first box set a try and by the time Sailor Mercury appeared I was hooked. I ordered the complete 5 seasons and movies on eBay and I'm well into the Sailor Moon S series now.
I did searches for Sailor Moon web sites and found a couple of good ones, such as this one. The articles on Magna vs. Uncut-Sub Titled vs. Doubted were very informative.
My favorite movie is Swept Away and series is Inu Yasha. I also have several English sub-titled Bishojo games and "KANA Little Sister" brought tears to my eyes.

Yasha Kodachi
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Yasha Kodachi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Oh, god...my REAL first encounter was sometime in the 90's when it was aired on CN. I didn't like it. Mostly because of Serena's voice.

However, the encounter that made me watch it went like this:

--browsing a random web site--
--comes across a list of V/A's--
--sees a pic of Sailor Neptune and Kurenai. They have the same Japanese seiyuu--
BAM.
"Huh...I wonder if the Japanese Sailor Moon is any good?"

A different kind of Being
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by A different kind of Being » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:59 pm

I saw some episodes back in 98 with my ex-girl friend, but it was in english and I didn't remember much. Suddenly I just thought a few weeks ago that I should watch Sailor Moon again, and then I started with the first episode, and suddenly I got obsessed and now I have watched 124 episodes and 2 movies. Love it really.

yamichan2
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by yamichan2 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:29 pm

My earliest encounter with Sailor Moon eh?
Well to put it simply I don't remember how young I was. I distincly remember watching the ending of one of the Doom Tree episodes when I was too little to really understand what the show was about. I know that I watched it regularly at the time, then I know there was some time when it didn't come on.
I recognized the show when it first started on Toonami and started watching it again. I knew that I had seen all the episodes, they were all familiar to me. I think I saw SMC and SMR minus those "lost episodes" at least twice all the way through. Before they anounced that they were going to finish it and show the end. I was extatic. I was in the fourth grade by then. Me and my best friend at the time would always role play the SM charectors and whatnot at the time.
But anyway, I remember that and the lovely Lunar Eclipse Marathon. I also remember them saying that they were showing a new season (SMS) and was again thrilled. I was in my first year of middle school at the time (6th grade), of course I saw the rest of the series during that time.
In high school I managed to aquire most of the season in uncut DVD and have much prefered the originial since. (For comparison I graduated high school last June).
So to be honest I don't remember not likeing Sailor Moon, there were times when it wasn't my favorite series (those are few and far between) but I can't remember the exact moment I fell in love with it. I can't remember not having seen SMC and SMR in dub form. I don't remember watching them for the first time. With the exception of every episode of and since the "lost episodes".
The first episode I remember watching clearly, in that I remember watching it at a really young kid and I remember watching all of it, was "Last Resort" when everyone in 'Serena's' family go to the hot spring.
Find me on www.gaiaonline.com! :P

Kali
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kali » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 pm

i saw it too the first tiem it ever aired in NA, on YTV in August of that year. someone asked earlier if anyone remembers the original english OP-- unfortunately i don't as i had just turned 4 at the time! if you would like to give me some reminders i might remember

well i did not like sailor moon at first, but my big sister did. i watched power rangers (lol) but every day at noon she HAD to watch sailor moon, when she was home for lunch from school. (i myself was in an afternoon kindergarten class so i didn't go to school until the show was over).

at some point my distaste progressed to furtive glances at the TV while she was watching, as the show interested me. none of the other shows i had seen had plots-- it was cool to see a show with actual story arcs.

nowadays i rediscovered sailor moon on youtube... bought some of the manga's and the rest is history! ironically my sister HATES it now and yells at me for watching a "baby show" :lol:

Skull13
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

My first encounter.

Post by Skull13 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:59 am

My first encounter was way back in the third grade (I believe it was either the third or the forth grade.) when I saw the very first episode. I believe that USA was the first to air Sailor Moon (USA Action Extreme Team: Aired morning cartoons. It also aired Sonic The Hedgehog, Street Sharks, Mighty Max, and Gargoyles within syndication. I believe that Sailor Moon replaced Super Mario All-Stars. Anyone else remember this?), then CN picked it up after the morning cartoons of USA stopped airing entirely. As of now, I've seen every episode, except the Stars Saga.
Split Personality
Bring Hope To Humanity!!!

supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by supersailorearth » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:01 pm

my granddad taped it for me on either Kids WB or cartoon network when it came out thinkin i would like it. I find it painfully obvious I did.
Last edited by supersailorearth on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:51 pm

I really don't know anymore, but my mother says I had loved it since I first saw it. That would be twelve years ago o__o And I can't remember anymore >.< But what I remember is: It was on German TV since I've always been living in Luxemburg, that's for sure, and it was the first season I saw first (so it's normal I like the first one more than the others).
...Qui sême le vent, récolte la tempête...