Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

Post by Starscream » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:46 pm

>_> <_< Doesn't LOOK like there's a topic like this here...

Anyways, I believe there was a similar topic in the previous incarnation, so I'd like to revive it by retelling my own story.

It was the first time the show was aired here in the States. My brothers and I saw the commercials for the show, and I scoffed at the idea of a girl's cartoon. One day, I came home from summer school to catch my brothers sitting on the couch watching it - there was a red-haired guy (Rubeus) fighting the girls, but at the time, I didn't pay it much attention, and instead laughed, "what are you guys watching this girl's show for?" They replied that it was pretty good, in the same style of Voltron and Speed Racer. Intriguied, I sat down, and before I knew it, I came to like it. Eventually, my desire to watch it increased, while my brothers became more and more disenchanted with it. To this day, they always ride me about liking a girl's show, but I always get them back by reminding them they liked it first ;)
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Re: Your First Encounter with Sailor Moon

Post by Stephen Victor » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:23 pm

Well, when I was 8 or 9 (I'm 14 now) I would see kids discussing Sailormoon and I believe I had even seen a picture of Sailormoon and the inner senshi, which offended me at the time because of how short their skirts were. I learned that it came on at 4 pm on weekdays on CN so I decided to try watching it and learned to really like it, and nowadays I'm still a fan of it ^_^ I'm pretty sure that the first episode I ever saw was DiC episode 37 "Tuxedo Unmasked."

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:35 pm

I was on Vacation, and thought that DBZ came on at 4. didn't know about the TV hour change.

First one I saw was DiC's dubbed version of Chibiusa's dream with the Reaper guy.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:54 pm

The first time I ever saw Sailor Moon was when we went on vacation once to the Gulf Shores. We went with my grandparent's too, so were staying in a hotel. It was pretty early in the morning, around 7:00 am or 7:30 am. My sister turned on the tv and started flipping around to various different networks. Nothing was on, so she flipped it to one of the local networks, and this "cartoon" was on. We started watching it, and I don't know what my sister thought of it, but I thought it was pretty cool. All I could remember from it was that there was a teenage average girl, an alien who played the flute, and the girl transformed into a superhero wearing the most bizarre outfit and hairstyle. At this time I didn't know what anime was yet, and as the day went on, I started to forget about it. About a year later, in summer '97, I was up early in the morning watching tv. I flipped it to the USA Network to see what was on, and saw this "cool cartoon" on. As I started watching it, I realized that this was the same "cartoon" I had seen a year ago. Around this time, we had just gotten the Internet. I went online to USA Network's website and found out that Sailor Moon was actually an "anime." I looked up websites about it, and if I can remember correctly, my first Sailor Moon websites were Sailor Mar's Ultimate Sailor Moon Webpage, Sailor Moon Universe, Hitoshi Doi's Sailor Moon page, and the SOS. Since then, I became hooked on Sailor Moon, and because of this great series, I had discovered the wonderful world of anime, and made many wonderful friends (including you guys, of course!), because we all shared one common interest. We like anime! So, this is my first time I ever watching Sailor Moon! ^^

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:07 pm

o_o; I think my first episode was "Bad Hair Day", but I'm not sure..all I know is that's the first one I remember.
Anyway, I was about 12 years old, and these younger girls down the street used to watch it. I remember the youngest sister had a set of sailor moon figurines that I would kill to have today (damn that child.) Either way, I got curious, and I knew another girl in my class who watched it. So I gave it a try and immediately loved it. I knew it was originally Asian becuase of the fact that I was born in Japan and therefore, recognized the style. My friend and I used to call eachother after school while watching and be like "OMG!! WHO'S THAT PINK-HAIRED GIRL?! *GASP* Darien is SOOO cute"
I was so obsessed. I remember when CN showed the Lunar Eclipse (aka, the "Lost episodes"), I sat up in my brother's room where he had a VCR and TV, and taped every episode, COMMERCIAL FREE. (Yes, I actually stopped and started the tape everytime there was a commercial).

Ah, memories.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:09 pm

I started a little late compared to other people. I'd been into Japanese culture for some time and had been meaning to get into anime, but I never knew where to start. Finally I just started watching when I saw Cartoon Network showed some. This was 3 years ago this month (around the time of my 20th birthday) when the SuperS dub was airing on Cartoon Network. This along with Tenchi Muyo was the first anime I watched. The first episode I saw was "Clothes Call" the one with Fish Eye, which I know know had to be edited a lot to make him a woman. I found it entertaining and learned more by looking up Sailor Moon websites, and I sought more dub episodes on video. From reading the websites though I knew that the English dub was hacked up a lot though, which eventually lead me to seek out fansubbed episodes.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:30 pm

My first encounter of Sailor Moon was through a random episode that I have no recollection of at all. My friend had been a fan of Sailor Moon a long time before me, but I had never really cared to watch the show (for whatever reason). Anyway, my friend found a ROM of Sailor Moon: Another Story and started playing through it in Japanese and didn't get too far. I had previously used a patch to play SD3 English, so I looked for one for SM:AS and found it. Upon helping him with that, I actually started getting into the game, and then really inquired a lot from my friend to get some basic background info on the characters (he had watched the dubbed first two season) and looked around the internet for even more info. When CN started airing new eps. that summer of 2000, I decided to watch. I saw a few eps. of S dub and I was hooked. I came to learn a lot about SM, the differences between the dub and sub, and other stuff about it by hanging out online a lot (particularly at SOS's comments archive and GameFAQs message boards). Not too longer after S dub finished airing, my friend had bought fansubs for the whole series of Sailor Stars, and so my second dose of SM happened to be the last season. ;) My intro. to subtitled Sailor Moon, and I quite enjoyed it. My interest in anime also came from that time, as I was intrigued by the promos for Tenchi Muyo while watching SM on Toonami and ended up getting sucked into it. Because having both language versions sounded nifty, I bought Sailor Moon Super S Movie on DVD, and was very well-pleased (so much to where I replaced those edited dub VHS tapes of R Movie and S Movie that my mom bought at Wal-Mart with the bilingual DVD's). My interest in Sailor Moon and anime all spread out from there.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:54 pm

Mine was way back when the show was in syndication for the first time, when I was like 11 or 12. Since we were hyperactive kids at the time, it meant getting up early to watch cartoons, and me and my brother found Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z that way. It wasn't often that we watched them, so I hardly remember what episodes I saw then, but I do remember specifically getting up early for those two shows.

A more memorable first encounter of Sailor Moon for me was when I was in 9th grade, just finishing it I believe. We had just gotten cable that spring, and I remember being at my friend Steve's house channel surfing, and we happened to see a snippet of SM. I told him to keep it there for a bit because it caught my eye but he said it sucked and kept surfing. I made a note in my head to go see the show the next day to find out it was SM and I was hooked. Watched it as much as I could, saw the first airings of the lost episodes as Toonami called them, good times. The rest is all history that leads up to today.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:19 am

MarioKnight wrote:
The rest is all history that leads up to today.
*snicker* Hey, Dan...remember the SMS to English Campaign?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:01 am

The frst time I actually watched and enjoyed it was when I very first moved to Clinton, North Carolina and nothing else was on. Then I got addicted to it every Afternoon. ^^ I got very, very cranky if I missed an episode. The first episode I ever saw was "An Uncharmed Life". I started watching it right there at the end of the "original run" [Classic up to thelast half of R]. When it started all over again I couldn't wait for "Lita" to show up because she was my favorite "scout". ::laughs::
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:06 am

Anybody manage to catch the "lost episodes" when they were aired in SYNDICATION? I woke up one morning to Luna P changing into the Puu ball, and literally did a double take. "Sailor Pluto? In AMERICA?! Impossible..." I ended up watching the rest, and was thoroughly pleased.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:43 am

The first episode I ever watched was the first episode in the Doom Tree Saga. And I thought the show was crap. It was so stupid to me! A few years later, Jed-kun was over at my house one weekend, and he started talking about it. The next day, I stayed at his house, and we rented those videos that had certain episodes on them. I watched the very first episode, and the last episode of classic, and other ones that I can't remember. After that I was hooked. We would even play little games about it, making up our own scouts. For instance, he was Sailor Pluto's brother, and was also a sailor scout. I was Sailor Asteroid (my powers were a combination of Mars and Jupiter), and another friend was Sailor Moon's brother from the moon kingdom. We had the weirdest attacks, too. "Pluto Time Bomb!" "Asteroid Thunder Flame!" "Moon Sparkling Glitter Rainbow Sunshine..." (I kid you not. His attack name changed everytime cause he couldn't remember it, and he kept saying it forever! It was so annoying!) I am a very sad little boy...
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:45 pm

I ran into it back in 1997. This is when is starting airing on CN for the first time. The first episode I saw was the one where Jupiter was introduced. I loved the story and then I starting watching every dub episode, then I recorded all of them. Soon after, I got into the original episodes. The first original episode I saw was 94.
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:49 pm

It was back in 1994 or 1995, I went to Hong Kong for the summer & Sailormoon was starting to show & I love it. I still love it now that I'm 19. So after that summer, I was kinda sad that I can't watch it anymore. A few years later, they showed Sailormoon on YTV so I saw all the other episodes that I missed.:)

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:53 pm

For me it was early June of 2000. First of all, I had heard of Sailor Moon because of a friend, and I was curious about it because I heard the main character was named Bunny. I was on vacation in Colorado, and I rented some videos, one of them being the dubbed R movie. I instantly liked the show--it was one of the first times I got to see superhero girls, despite the disappointment at finding out "Bunny" had a different name! The next day, I was at the swimming pool, and I decided to make up Sailor Neptune. In my vision, she wore a purple swimsuit and tennis shoes, and she had water powers.

Then I came home, and found the S season on CN. It was amazing to find that there WAS a real Sailor Neptune! It was the love contest story, too. I first thought Amara was a boy (I thought it was a Japanese boys name), but when I saw Sailor Uranus I immeditately knew Amara was a girl. I was so excited to find a tough, masculine girl character, so she was my favorite for a while.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:59 pm

Starscream wrote:Anybody manage to catch the "lost episodes" when they were aired in SYNDICATION? I woke up one morning to Luna P changing into the Puu ball, and literally did a double take. "Sailor Pluto? In AMERICA?! Impossible..." I ended up watching the rest, and was thoroughly pleased.
...I though CN was the first to air them?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Obsessive Touga Fan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Obsessive Touga Fan » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:11 pm

In 2000, I was a fan of Pokemon but I really knew nothing about anime apart from that, except that it existed. Someone I occasionally talked to on ICQ asked me one day if I'd ever heard of Sailor Moon... I hadn't. The person said the Japanese version was better than the US version, and tried to send me an episode (IIRC it was the fashion designer episode from SuperS), but it didn't send, so I looked on the web to see if I could find episode to download. I downloaded the dub of the first episode, and was strangely surprised to find the it was NOTHING like I'd imagined from the name "Sailor Moon" O_o Although quite what I was expecting, I'm not sure.

Anyway, not long after that I was talking to someone else online who lived in the UK, and it emerged that he was a Sailor Moon fan - because he'd watched it on TV! In the UK! It turned out that Sailor Moon was being shown on Fox Kids, so I started watching it whenever I could. The first episode I saw on TV, and the second episode I watched, was "Tuxedo Unmasked" (where Mercury faces off with evil Tux), which confused the heck out of me ^^; And the rest, as they say, is history.

devilmaykickass
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by devilmaykickass » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:38 pm

I was in about 4th or 5th grade, WAAAAAY back when the show was first dubbed and put on US TV, on KCOP channel 13 in LA California, a syndicated channel (I feel old). Anyway my sister was watching it and I had never heard oif anime and had no idea what it was, but I had seen "Speen Racer" and "Dragonball/Z" prior to this. Anyway I saw this and the show just visually caught my eye, but I never bothered to pay attention to it...I was into stuff like Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles. Anyway, that was my first encounter. Years passed and I watched it on Toonami in about 1998 or 1999, and I loved it. I saw "Day of Destiny" and I liked the way they did the part with the song "Carry on" (despite that the episode had been cut to pieces). From then on I was a fanatic, and though I've moved on to several animes, Sailor Moon remains one of my favs.

However, once I saw the original version I grew a resentment against the dub and loved it 10 times more.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:45 pm

My first "dose" for SM was back about 5 - 6 years ago, when I was channel surfing after waking up and getting ready for school. My first Episode was "Jealousy's Just Rewards" (I think that's the title...) Anyway, I tuned in when Emerald was being changed into the dragon. I thought it was cool, and then, the next thing I know I'm like "This is SM!?!?! No way!"

And. since then, I've been an avid watcher.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:52 am

Tiff wrote:
Starscream wrote:Anybody manage to catch the "lost episodes" when they were aired in SYNDICATION? I woke up one morning to Luna P changing into the Puu ball, and literally did a double take. "Sailor Pluto? In AMERICA?! Impossible..." I ended up watching the rest, and was thoroughly pleased.
...I though CN was the first to air them?
They were (in the US at least), but after their run on Toonami, they were added to syndication alongside the rest of the first seasons.

(And yes Tiff, I do remember the SMS campaign. Who would've thought that thing back then would spawn two amazing SM sites soon after its eventual death?)
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(