If S Was Redubbed...

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

CutieKenko
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

If S Was Redubbed...

Post by CutieKenko » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:04 pm

Now then, we all know that the chances of Sailormoon being redubbed is 1 in 10,000,000 but if it was, I think S would be A LOT BETTER! Here's why:

1. They'd probably get MUCH BETTER VA'S do to the roles, so no more blaring voices and no more super-deep Serena/Usagi, etc
2. There wouldn't be any inconsistency problems as they probably wouldn't be rushed to make the episodes.
3. The 'Holy Grail' WOULD be left in. Why? On the hit Nickelodeon show, 'The Fairly Odd Parents' in at least two episodes they have mentioned the Holy Grail, by that name. So there would be no reason for them to change it.
4. Haruka & Michiru's relationship might be kept, or they'd at least become 'just really good friends'. Why? On the PBS show Postcards from Buster, there's an episode in which Buster [that rabbit kid from Arthur] meets a family with same-sex parents [lesbians] and this is a kid's show. Also, with the whole Same-Sex Marriage issue plaguing the news and schools recently, I doubt there are many kids who don't know about homosexuality. Also, apparently, starting sometime in March, Nickeloden is planning on airing commercials about accepting same-sex couples and they're gonna be using their own cartoon characters in the commercial [i.e. Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, etc] or so I hear.

So, should we get a redub, it should be WAY BETTER, provided DiC or 4kids doesn't get their hands on it...

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:00 pm

It would definitely be interesting to see a new dub done with a whole new cast. And then re-release all four seasons (as well as the fifth season) onto DVD using Toei masters with both remasterered Japanese audio and the new dub. :P Hey, I can dream can't I? But I must admit, this obsession is starting to die, at least for me. I thought it would never die for me but it is starting to. :cry:

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:18 pm

ADMIN MODE:

CutieKenko: Input your birthday IMMEDIATELY if you want to keep posting here. It's in the rules that yo umust do so.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

CutieKenko
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by CutieKenko » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:20 am

Gomen. I thought I had put in my b-day. All fixed now. :D

Raging Scottish
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Raging Scottish » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:50 pm

If they had to do one thing, just one thing, I would have them replace the VA who did the voice for Serena/Usagi in Sailor Moon S with the one who did it for the second half of the first series and R. I think she had to have been the best of the three.

Pipestrell
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Pipestrell » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:25 pm

I think it would be good to get a dub devoid of extremely regionalised words and terms like 'dollars' which completly detract from the series when viewed internationally. (also hearing 'dollars' and 'Tokyo' in the same episode in just plain wrong)
Rosencrantz: Do you think death could be a boat?
Guildenstern: No; Death is not, it isn’t. Death is the ultimate negative; not being. You can’t not be on a boat.
Rosencrantz: I’ve frequently not been on boats.
Guildenstern: No; what you’ve been, is not on boats.

Mercurius
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mercurius » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:50 pm

To be honest, aside from small script changes and quirks, the majority of the dub for S doesn't bother me much...(and when I watch it again now, I usually just watch the subtitled version, which is how I saw these episodes first anyhow). The dub that bugs me most is the one for the SuperS movie, whre they wrote out all the references to "the three o'clock fairy"...(perhaps someone found it offensive?)

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:12 am

I'd make the voices sound natural, and not sound so forced and valley-girl-ish... Whatever on that one, lol.

I'd also take out the whole Amara/Michiru cousin thing. Even though this show IS for kids, I'd still take it out.

I would also keep the attack, and transformation name game consistant. ~_^
"Miko Miko Nurse"
Madamada iku yo!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko miko nurse!
namamugi namagome miko miko nurse!!
Kaerue pyoko pyoko miko miko nurse!!
Miko miko nurse! Miko moko nurse!
Sexual violet miko miko nurse!!
Soul train miko miko nurse!!
Anesan rokkaku miko miko nurse!!
Riichi ippatsu miko miko nurse!
Saigo ni mou icchou! HAI!!
Miko miko nurse!!

Oh my god.

That's so incredibly fucked up and so incredibly cute all at the same time.-Tiff-Chan

Seeking a band.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:36 am

I don't mean to be off-topic, but CutieKenko, this commercial you've mentioned isn't about homosexuality, nor is it even a commercial. What it is is it's a video that's being played throughout various elementary schools to teach children about tolerance of different cultures. At one point in the video, Spongebob asks the children to define what a family is and then the instructions prompt the teacher to continue further discussion in class and some people saw this and thought that it was about homosexuality, so they got all upset about it. But the video itself isn't promoting homosexuality; it's just a misconception caused by some poorly written instructions. You can read an article about it yourself at: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/162/story_16232_1.html

Sorry for going off-topic here. I don't mean to change the main discussion any, but to get back on-topic, I think that if S was re-dubbed, the only real difference would be that Cloverway would be more consistent with the attack names and they might have been more careful with how they censor Haruka and Michiru's relationship, so they don't make it seem incestuous. I think that the main reason why they kept screwing up with the attack names during the S season was because they were being rushed by CN. So, if they were given the chance to go back and re-dub it without being rushed by anyone, I think they probably would've gotten the attack names right more often, and maybe even the VAs could have improved some.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:43 pm

A redub would be great. IMPO, they should get Terri Hawkes again and the girl who voiced Moko, and MAYBE get Stephanie Beard for Chibiusa again, still unsure about that one.

And I think Tara Strong might be cute for ChibiChibi.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:22 am

ChibiChibi isn't in the S season. She's only in Sailor Stars.

Personally, I see no point for a redub. The vast majority of Sailor Moon fans didn't like the S and SuperS dubs to begin with, which were (barely) improvements on the first two seasons' dub. A redub still wouldn't stack well enough against the original Japanese version for most people to care, and even if they did care, it's too little, too late at this point. The license to the first two seasons, as well as the movies, are gone, and it would only be a matter before S and SuperS are no longer licensed.

Perhaps a fandub could be made..?

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:31 am

If I remember correctly, there was a fandub made of S a good while back. I don't remember who, or many details, or even how far they got, but I'm very sure someone did attempt it at some point.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

devilmaykickass
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by devilmaykickass » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:55 am

Well it's the worst dub I've ever wittnessed, so I wouldn't mind a chance at it being better.

One thing they'd really need to do is raise the background music to an audible volume. That was possibly the worst thing about the S and Super S dub. That and the lack of any consistency.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:10 pm

MarioKnight wrote:If I remember correctly, there was a fandub made of S a good while back. I don't remember who, or many details, or even how far they got, but I'm very sure someone did attempt it at some point.
One was started, but I don't know how far they got. I got the first one they did, which was the second episode overall--the one with the cats. It was not that good, with the voices sounding very ameteurish and subpar microphones, plus they kept the DIC dub names.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:05 pm

I have a file called fandub3.wav...no idea where I got it from.

It's a dub of episode 92: "A Beautiful Boy?? The Secret of Tenou Haruka".

Haruka is named Eric or Erin (I can't tell), and Michiru is named Shelly (but then called Michelle later O_o). The other names are the DiC ones, Mina's full name is "Mina Lockheart", and daemons are called "demon seeds"...

Venus' henshin phrase is "Like, Venus Star Power makeup!", and Moon's henshin is "Moon Cosmic Power Makeup!" with a little bit of SFX from the DiC opening theme at the beginning

They pronounce Sailor Uranus "Sailor Your-anus", and they say "Back off negasleese"...World Shaking is "Uranus Meteor STRIKE" and Deep Submerge is "Neptune Tidalwave SUBMERGE"

It has the original music, but near-Cloverway voices from what I remember.
Last edited by RattleMan on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[SMU] [Sonic-CulT] [Sonic Classic] [SoaH]
[SWS2B] [Zophar's] [DaizenshuuEX]
[My LiveJournal]

~ RattleMan's SMU Signature ~
~ April 10th, 2005 ~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 pm

Is this the Negavision fandub by any chance?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Is this the Negavision fandub by any chance?
No idea. I just remembered having a fandub ep on my HD and searched for it just now.

Anyway, I believe if there's a redub, all the dialog should be as close to the original as possible (duh), and they need to find good VAs to match the original...yeah
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[SMU] [Sonic-CulT] [Sonic Classic] [SoaH]
[SWS2B] [Zophar's] [DaizenshuuEX]
[My LiveJournal]

~ RattleMan's SMU Signature ~
~ April 10th, 2005 ~

devilmaykickass
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by devilmaykickass » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Well, reguardless of how crappy it was, it's still neat that someone attempted it...I assume they used DiC names and made up the rest because they honestly never thought S would get dubbed and released here (I know I was shocked as hell when I turned to cartoon network and saw Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune, but then, I never thought of fixing it with incest!).

StarlightJupiter
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by StarlightJupiter » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:02 pm

I was REALLY disappointed in Sailor Moon and Sailor Mercury's voices. Venus' was pretty good and it was great to see Mars' old voice back. It wouldn't have been so bad if Moon and Mercury had better voices. I don't know what they were thinking when they hired those two voice actresses! :shock:

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:17 pm

The only voice improvement was with Rini IMO. Everyone else's new voices were inferior to the first two seasons, especially Amy's and Mina's. I (eventually) got used to Serena's, though.