If S Was Redubbed...

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Hachiko
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA
Contact:

Post by Hachiko » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:38 pm

If it were redubbed, I would consider hiring the crew from Industrial Smoke & Mirrors to do it, but Stephanie Beard and Terri Hawkes should be kept in their respective positions. The only two holdovers for a revamped S dub crew.

User avatar
EternalSailorMoon
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:28 am
Location: California

Post by EternalSailorMoon » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:38 am

I think that they did a good job with the dub of S and Super S but, if they redub the S, I would like for them to put the first voice of serena/usagi back! and the should get rini's voice back too! For the rest of the charectors the were great and should stay the same!

User avatar
Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:12 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by Fruityla » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:14 pm

They'd be smart enough not to let Cartoon Network have it.

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:44 am

Why's that? What's Cartoon Network ever done wrong with Sailormoon?
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Post by SailorMoonFan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:14 pm

I'm currently watching Sailor Moon S in Japanese w/subtitles and there are a huge amount of changes between the original and the dub. In the dub version there are lots of inconsistencies such as Sailor Senshi attacks are called one thing and in another episode is called another and the biggest inconsistency that confuses me throughout the dub are terms such as "Purity Force", "Objects of Power", "Ambassador of Good", "Legendary Princess", "Bureau of Bad Behavior", "Heart Snatchers", "Sovereign of Silence", etc. The dub should have just kept the original terms: Talisman, Witches 5, Messiah, The Holy Grail, etc.

Even if the dub was redubbed I don't think die heart SMS fans will like it because the voice actors/actresses will still be there and the emotion displayed in the original just can't seem to be displayed in the dub.

In the dub episode "Lita Borrows Trouble", if you compare that to the original, it's like watching 2 different episodes. In the original, Usagi thought that Mako-chan had a crush on Haruka and she tries to remind Mako-chan that Haruka is a woman. But in the dub it seems like Usagi (Serena) is mad at Mako-chan (Lita) because she seems to be dumping her for a new best friend who is Haruka (Amara). Those are tremendous changes that changes the meaning of the episode. Mako-chan never had a crush on Haruka like Usagi thought. Mako-chan looked up to her and wanted to be the woman that Haruka was. In other words, Mako-chan wanted and hoped to be like her.

In Ep. 5 (original Japanese) when Haruka & Michiru talk about "kissing" to Usagi and Elizabeth (I forgot her Japanese name), near the end of the conversation Michiru says something like "A first kiss. You have to cherish it", she looks at Haruka and you can see that something is going on between them and it makes more sense in the original then in the dub when Michiru (Michelle) is talking about her first kiss from this guy name Brad and looking at Haruka and wondering where Brad is today.

In Ep. 5 Michiru says to Haruka, "We don't have the luxury to fall in love". I take it that she means that she doesn't have time to fall in love or have any romantic relations with Haruka because of their mission.

I'm sorry for this long post :oops:

User avatar
tangledupxinplaid
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by tangledupxinplaid » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:32 pm

Mercurius wrote:To be honest, aside from small script changes and quirks, the majority of the dub for S doesn't bother me much...(and when I watch it again now, I usually just watch the subtitled version, which is how I saw these episodes first anyhow). The dub that bugs me most is the one for the SuperS movie, whre they wrote out all the references to "the three o'clock fairy"...(perhaps someone found it offensive?)
I agree with this, except for them messing around with Uranus/Neptune's relationship, I don't really have problems with how it turned out.
The inconsistent attack names don't really bug me either because I know what they're supposed to be called. =p

User avatar
kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by kingofgames » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:37 pm

Possibly one of the biggiest changes is the Sailor Uranus and Neptune relationship.

Imagine how much reddubbing of the series could do right there
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

User avatar
Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: KCMO
Contact:

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:48 pm

Fruityla wrote:They'd be smart enough not to let DiC or Cloverway have it.
Fixed.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado


^ ^ ^ ROFL

User avatar
SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Post by SailorMoonFan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 am

kingofgames wrote:Possibly one of the biggiest changes is the Sailor Uranus and Neptune relationship.

Imagine how much reddubbing of the series could do right there

I agree with you. Changing Uranus and Neptune's relationship was one of the biggest mistakes in this season. If SMS was redubbed it would be like looking at this season in a completely different way.

User avatar
kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by kingofgames » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 am

They would have to redo the entire serious if they didnt want it to be completly like the origional
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Umino » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:52 pm

Starscream wrote:Why's that? What's Cartoon Network ever done wrong with Sailormoon?
Weren't they the ones who rushed the dubbing production of SMS and SMSS?

User avatar
kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by kingofgames » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:00 pm

Umino brings up another issue I was thinking of

CN probalby did rush DiC, to produce Dubbed Sailor Moon Episodes, but then again, it may have been DiC who rushed on their own, since this season was "inapproiate" for children to be seeing,.
I really wonder what would have happened if both DiC and Cloverway worked on the Sailor Moon episodes.....
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

User avatar
MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Baldwinsville, NY
Contact:

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:42 pm

Umino wrote:
Starscream wrote:Why's that? What's Cartoon Network ever done wrong with Sailormoon?
Weren't they the ones who rushed the dubbing production of SMS and SMSS?
I don't know the extent of their involvement with the rushing, but CN was a factor. They began airing SMS before the season was finished dubbing, which eventually caused an episode from each season to be skipped in initial runs because they weren't reviewed fully by CN staff. There were other factors as well I would believe, but dubbing starting in late March and then having episodes air in early June is definetly a big factor in the equation.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08


This list seems to keep on growing. =(

User avatar
SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Post by SailorMoonFan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:59 pm

That just goes to show you the care that Cartoon Network & Cloverway put into dubbing SMS & SMSS. We all know that dubs will never be like the original but if a little care and respect was put into the dub maybe the SM episodes would be more consistent.

Sailor Moon S is one of the best seasons in the whole series and the inconsistency and confusion in the dub puts a strain on the enjoyment and understanding the plotline. I like how the S season use the religious element names such as Holy Grail, Messiah, Talisman. These 3 words are really really important in this season. And throughout ALL 37 episodes in the original these 3 terms are used and there are no other names for them. The original Japanese episodes are way more consistent and less confusing.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:27 am
Location: Bushland, USA

Post by bioengineer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:32 pm

Back the the original question: If S was re-dubbed?

They would have no real good reason to in the first place. First, S did not get the level of ratings as it did compared to other seasons. Second is money, how will they raise enough capital to do this? Third is why should they? Naoko is still getting fat off of the success of PGSM. If there where anymore changes to the SM series, it would be making another PGSM season. That would be the highest probability. But even that is pretty much out of the question so obvious reasons that I can not get into right now without creating another thread.

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Umino » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:44 pm

bioengineer wrote:They would have no real good reason to in the first place. First, S did not get the level of ratings as it did compared to other seasons.
When was it ever stated SMS had low ratings? I thought SMSS was the only series to get poor ratings. (Which could be because of lack of promotion, and because SuperS sucks)
Third is why should they? Naoko is still getting fat off of the success of PGSM
I hate it when people always put the blame on Ms. Takeuchi. She has NOTHING to do with the anime. She problemly doesn't care what Toei does with the series. She doesn't have control over the anime series. The only thing she has control over is the manga series, what SHE created. SHE did not create, animate, or direct
the anime.

Sorry if I sounded a bit mean, or rude. It just drives me nuts when people blame Naoko Takeuchi for all the problems with Sailor Moon in the US.

"The SMR box won't have episode 67"- ADV
"Ah! It's Naoko Takeuchi's fault! She didn't like that episode!" - fans
"We can't license Stars" - CWI
"AHH! Naoko didn't like Stars!!" - Fans

etc, etc.

It gets annoying.

User avatar
SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:27 pm

Post by SailorMoonFan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:40 pm

When SMS aired in Japan it became the most popular arc in the whole Sailor Moon series. With the HUGE success of S then they moved on to SuperS which didn't receive as many ratings and the ratings lowered a lot. Now I don't know how successful SMS was in America (English dub) but if it wasn't I wouldn't be surprised because their was a lack of promotion when the series aired in June 2001. Promos for S appeared close to the date that it was aired so there wasn't enough time for people to know that S was premiering on Cartoon Network.

bioengineer
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 7:27 am
Location: Bushland, USA

Post by bioengineer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:47 pm

I was not blaming her purposely. And yes she did have limited control on the anime in one aspect or another. But thats what happens when manga (or any other printed material) gets translated to tv medium. There are trade offs.

The point is there is no motivation. It is possible to place blame on S-dub due to poor promotion as one reason.

Locked