Acquiring Sailor Moon Episodes and Movies

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sevvie
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sevvie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:47 am

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. If I find auctions for the ADV boxsets that say "Languages: Japanese, with English subtitles" does that mean they're fake? From the best of my knowledge, I though that the ADV sets had both Japanese and English audio tracks. Feel free to correct me.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:42 am

The ADV boxsets of the first two seasons are in Japanese language only with English subtitles. Nevertheless, be sure that the discs and boxes look like what ADV released; since they've been out of print for so long, there might be a chance that those are bootlegs, if that's your worry ^^.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:14 pm

This is a really good find

Now that I have the guides from SMU plus this from youtube, I can see where DIC messed up at

Also, I'm not sure if this will will stay up for long, since This is unliscended (on youtube, and I dont know how Youtube works)
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:37 pm

kingofgames wrote:This is a really good find

Now that I have the guides from SMU plus this from youtube, I can see where DIC messed up at

Also, I'm not sure if this will will stay up for long, since This is unliscended (on youtube, and I dont know how Youtube works)

Did you click the wrong topic?
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

Giant2005
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Anyone have any experience with this site?

Post by Giant2005 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi
I'm obviously new here (pretty much signed up solely for this question).
After reading a few editorials, namely "Uncut Sailor Moon: Worth the Wait?" it got me a little paranoid about purchasing the DVDs.
So I was wondering, has anyone made a purchase from this site: http://www.sailor-moon-stars.com/smcollection.html, I was planning on purchasing the perfect collection from there but I'm now concerned about the quality.

If anyone has any experience making purchases from there, could you please let me know your opinions on those disks... any positive or negative opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:18 pm

*MOD MODE*

Topic merged.

*/MOD MODE*

These disc are obviously bootlegs, but if you don't care about that, they'll probably be fine. I own Stars bootlegged, and it's great.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Alexclow345 wrote:
kingofgames wrote:This is a really good find

Did you click the wrong topic?
>< I clicked the wrong topic
Could someone please move my previous post to that youtube Sailor Moon topic?
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:33 pm

How do you know whether the dvds you bought are bootlegs or originals i guess?

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:10 am

Starry Eyes wrote:How do you know whether the dvds you bought are bootlegs or originals i guess?
There was a thread dedicated to identifying bootlegs from the officials. Here you go.
http://www.smuncensored.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1879

^^
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 pm

daaaamn definitely ahve the bootlegs! Are the actual episodes the same though? cause thats the most importantt par.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:03 pm

Bootlegs are direct rips of the official sets, so yes. They should be exactly the same except they are compressed to fit more on fewer discs. Everyone says the quality is bad on bootlegs, but I honestly don't have a problem with it. The audio and video masters were crappy even on the official release and since I don't watch my Sailormoon dvds all the time whatever compression imperfections the sets have don't really bother me.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:06 pm

ya i've never noticed them to be bad. On my season 1 english version sailor moon dvds the sound was a bit quieter but all the rest including the japanese ones are perfectly fine. The only thing I have ever noticed was the fact that it skips chapters and doesn't go in order, which is the result of putting too many episodes on one dvd. But thanks for solving that mystery for me, i was wondering why the heck it did that hehe.

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:09 pm

sorry to double post but i have a question. My sailor stars dvd is obviously japapense with english subtitles. Only the subtitles dont always appear, character will talk but no subtitles will come up. Is this just with bootlegs? Or does this happen with the originals as well?
Im a bit rash and a crybaby, but Im actually an agent of love and justice, pretty sailor soldier, Sailor Moon!

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:29 pm

Starry Eyes wrote:sorry to double post but i have a question. My sailor stars dvd is obviously japapense with english subtitles. Only the subtitles dont always appear, character will talk but no subtitles will come up. Is this just with bootlegs? Or does this happen with the originals as well?
It was probably the person who put the subs on there, being lazy.

And just so you know, we aren't allowed to have animated gifs as our avatars. Just a heads up.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:32 pm

thanks for the heads up.

So is there a better versionto buy so that I dont have this problem? Where would I buy a better version?
Im a bit rash and a crybaby, but Im actually an agent of love and justice, pretty sailor soldier, Sailor Moon!

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:22 pm

My suggestion would probably be looking on EBay if you wanted those versions. You can by almost anything on EBay that it is not even funny. So yeah, that would probably be your best bet.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Benderx
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Benderx » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:24 pm

Does anyone know if the stars boxsets sold through AMzon are okay? I already got one that had subtitle issues which didn't show up in some places...

Starry Eyes
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starry Eyes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:50 pm

sounds like you have the same problem as I do.. so ya does anyone know where I can get a better stars version?

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:46 pm

Starry Eyes wrote:sounds like you have the same problem as I do.. so ya does anyone know where I can get a better stars version?
Unless it's Amazon.co.jp, they're bootlegs. And I doubt that a boxset even exists.

Don't buy them.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by sailor53 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:38 am

If you want a good subtitled version of Sailor Stars on DVD try this site. They use the Region 2 DVDs as their video source and have removable subtitles. The only season they don't have available at the moment is SuperS.
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.