Thanks DiC. =P

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: ...=/

Post by Tiff » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Matto wrote:Boy, this thread is teeming with DiC hate. But people seem to blame them a bit too much. Optimum needs to be blamed more, they wrote the stupid scripts (even though some of scripts were kind of good), and picked some bad voices (I won't name people).

But think for a second, DiC had to do what they did. THEY were owned by Disney back then, and we have to give Andy Heyward credit for having the balls to dub Sailor Moon.

In fact, Sailor Moon is one of the better dubs around that time. Tracey Moore was a DiC regular with the Mario 3 and World cartoons, Susan Roman did a number of parts for them as well, and guess what? Tracey made a perfect english Usagi, Susan was Makoto, and I love the four Black Moon sisters inthe dub more then I do in the sub. Rubeus just ruled, and Roland was good with voice direction.
This isn't the place to be gung-ho about dub defense. Just stick with the topic, please. If you'll read the entire topic, you'll see a lot of people didn't bash the dub. Also, keep in mind that your opinions are opinions only, not facts. Just becuase you say it's a better dub doesn't mean people agree with you.

Please stick to topic.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Hikari no Senshi
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Hikari no Senshi » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:50 pm

DiC should also gets thanks for making people believe that the Sailor Moon dub is ''quality'', despite it just shows everything you can do wrong with an anime when ''translating'' it into English. Of course, that's just my opinion.

jennytablina
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

DiC

Post by jennytablina » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:04 am

The dubs the only version of this series I have ever seen. I remember enjoying this back in 2000 when we finally got the dub over here. I was about 10 at the time and having seen Pokemon at this point starting to turn up I was hungry for more anime. Even though DiC's version is dumbed down in many ways I will thank them for what was left in

*The complex plots, they could of cut out Mollys relationship with one of those Negamoon guys (I'm sorry I cant remember the name) and the other bits and just made the series even worse dubbed than it was
*Some of the scenes of violence that played part to the story. There are scenes in Sailor Moon that I though to myself when first watching it were more violent than some kids shows at the time.
* Making at least some proper replacement with some of the DiC music cues, say what you want but at least DiC planned it's music cues a little beter than 4Kids seems to do in most of it's dubs (plus not hardly bothering to add vocal music where there shoul of been)

Oh course watching these back now I cringe a little but back when I was a kid I still enjoyed this series and it spurred me on to get more aquainted with anime also.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:30 pm

Hikari no Senshi wrote:despite it just shows everything you can do wrong with an anime when ''translating'' it into English.
No, that would be 4Kids' dub of One Piece...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:14 pm

Dinozore wrote:
Hikari no Senshi wrote:despite it just shows everything you can do wrong with an anime when ''translating'' it into English.
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

trust me, it could have been much much worse... think if Saban got rights... GAH...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:06 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's true!!!one!!!11!!!! Dubbers just got pwned!!

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:57 am

Let's get back on topic, guys.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

jennytablina
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by jennytablina » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:03 am

yoshmaster5 wrote:
Dinozore wrote:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

trust me, it could have been much much worse... think if Saban got rights... GAH...
I think theres a bright side to Sabans version. It would of been highly amusing years later even if it was as cringe-worthy as that video was. It also would of been more generic, I mean it had the token handicapped person, black person and foreign person.

That version of Sailor-Moon reminds me of someone. That blonde girl from Captain Caveman o___o. My gawd now that would be a bad voice for a Magical Girl Hero.

Oh and a bonus to Sailor Moon. At least it wasnt dubbed by Nelvana :P they cut out most relationships in that show, even the ones between Sakura and Li. Would you of wanted to watch Sailor Moon if Serena and Darrens relationship was cut as well?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:31 am

ADMIN MODE:

A mod has already said to get back on topic. So do it.

This is not a topic to debate which companies would have done a better dubbing job.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

dubfan2006
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by dubfan2006 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:26 pm

Why is there so much DiC-bashing? Couldn't you just think of the original and the dub as two different shows? I've seen both and I much prefer the dub. The original really annoys me. Here are a list of words that make me want to scream:
'Senshi'
'Usagi'
'Ami'
'Rei'
'Makoto'
'Minako'
'Mamoru'
'Chibiusa'
'Naru'
'chan' added on the end of someone's name
'Dark Kingdom/Dark Moon'
That's all I can think of for now, but you get the idea

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:44 pm

dubfan2006 wrote:Why is there so much DiC-bashing? Couldn't you just think of the original and the dub as two different shows? I've seen both and I much prefer the dub. The original really annoys me. Here are a list of words that make me want to scream:
'Senshi'
'Usagi'
'Ami'
'Rei'
'Makoto'
'Minako'
'Mamoru'
'Chibiusa'
'Naru'
'Dark Kingdom/Dark Moon'

You seriously want to die, do you... :x Just kidding guys. :wink:

Going by your logic, you'd loathe almost any anime series in existance. Given the nature of SMU... why are you even here?

Most of us regard DiC's perversion as extermely sub-par in many, many, many ways. You can find most of them by reading the various comparisons SMU provides. Also, almost all of the original's potential was wasted in a vain attempt to make it "kid-friendly". Many of us regard most of the censorship, changes, and edits as unnecessary (among other words).
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:01 pm

dubfan2006 wrote:Why is there so much DiC-bashing? Couldn't you just think of the original and the dub as two different shows? I've seen both and I much prefer the dub. The original really annoys me. Here are a list of words that make me want to scream:
'Senshi'
'Usagi'
'Ami'
'Rei'
'Makoto'
'Minako'
'Mamoru'
'Chibiusa'
'Naru'
'Dark Kingdom/Dark Moon'
Because the English and Japanese versions aren't seperate shows. They're the same show but one version with alterations made to the original, but they're both called Sailor Moon. And if you claim that you can view both versions as seperate shows, why can't you show equal love to both versions yourself? You accuse us of hating the dub and expcet us to accept the dub version as being not that bad if we would just consider it to be a seperate show like you do, yet then you turn around and accuse the original as being inferior to the dub and expcet us to do the same, even though you just said you think of them as seperate shows. Isn't this called hypocripsy?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:23 am

ADMIN MODE:

EVERYBODY. BACK. ON. TOPIC.

You have been told TWICE by a mod AND an admin to get back on topic. Do it. Seriously, if I see someone rush in here to defend or bash the dub randomly one more time, I will lock this topic. This is NOT the place to wage war about or against the dub. If you don't understand the point of this topic, then go back and read all the posts. If you STILl don't understand, then LEAVE IT.

No more, people. Get back on topic.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:23 pm

I just found a file that I downloaded almost two years ago. Now, I have to thank DiC for the promo tape featuring Victoria, Blue, Stella, Dana, Carrie and The Masked Tuxedo.

THAT'S SOME SERIOUS MOON POWER!

Best cheesy promo ever.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:44 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:I just found a file that I downloaded almost two years ago. Now, I have to thank DiC for the promo tape featuring Victoria, Blue, Stella, Dana, Carrie and The Masked Tuxedo.

Best cheesy promo ever.
Oh god, that clip is hilarious. I almost wet my pants while watching it.

"SHE'S TAKEN JAPAN BY STOOORRRM"

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:44 am

NameGoesHere wrote:I just found a file that I downloaded almost two years ago. Now, I have to thank DiC for the promo tape featuring Victoria, Blue, Stella, Dana, Carrie and The Masked Tuxedo.

Best cheesy promo ever.
Never seen it myself, but with what you have written, it just makes me think the ultimate in cheese. XD

Blackat
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Location: The only place where you can find Kangaroos in your backyard.

Post by Blackat » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:09 pm

Neon Heart: Oh, it's the ultimate in cheese! The best part is when they show how much the sales will/have go/gone (that was stupid to put it that way) up, and then compare it to Dragonball Z. Fun stuff. XD

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:19 pm

'Senshi'
'Usagi'
'Ami'
'Rei'
'Makoto'
'Minako'
'Mamoru'
'Chibiusa'
'Naru'
'Dark Kingdom/Dark Moon'
Japanese names from a japenese show make you want to scream? The Chan suffix is part of their culture. It's Black Moon not Dark Moon. And Dark Kingdom and Black Moon is a lot less stupid then Negavers/Negamoon. What was with with Dic's Nega fetish. Glad Cloverway dropped it even though Heart Snatchers is pretty stupid as well.

Any way back on topic. Dic wasn't completely bad here are it's high points

.Even though the song she is the one Sailor Moon is corny the part of the opening where there is no singing just instrumental is bad ass.

.The music when you don't compare it to the original is pretty good. Of course compared to the original it is really bland.

.Some of the Dic songs are good My only love,Carry On,It's a new day. But my favorite dub song would have to be Cloverway's Lets Fight!

.Tracey Moore to bad she wasn't in any more than 13 episodes or so.

.In the last 17 episodes Dic at least grew some balls and allowed the villians to die and not get blasted/banished back to the Negaverse!

.Really good Dic episodes:A friend in wolf's clothing,Sailor V makes the scene,Crystal Clear Destiny,Final Battle.

But Dic was overall pretty bad. Especially in Sailor Moon R.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:43 pm

HighC wrote:
Japanese names from a japenese show make you want to scream? The Chan suffix is part of their culture. It's Black Moon not Dark Moon. And Dark Kingdom and Black Moon is a lot less stupid then Negavers/Negamoon. What was with with Dic's Nega fetish. Glad Cloverway dropped it even though Heart Snatchers is pretty stupid as well.
ADMIN MODE:

TWO POSTS after that one was made, I told everybody to get back on topic and not to argue back and forth about whether or not the dub sucks. If you're going to respond to a post that's two years old, then read all the posts after it to make sure it's okay to do so.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks DiC for introducing me to Sailor Moon and in return making me search for the real thing on the internet and not wasting my time anymore with them. Applause to DiC for opening doors to the WWW.

Oh, and a few more accolades for DiC:

*turning Mamoru into an unfeeling and unemotional prick

*adding accents to voices where there shouldn't be (Naru's voice is just horrid and the manga artist that they for some reason thought that a southern accent would be okay------NOT!!!) and we can't forget about Luna (poor kitty)

*Sailor Says segment----although it gave us a glimpse into what we were missing eventhough we kinda didn't know it at the time

*cutting some of the best scenes and climaxes for the sake of the children......... :roll:

We tip our hats to you DiC
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!