Thanks DiC. =P

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

TheresaJ
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Thanks DiC. =P

Post by TheresaJ » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:07 pm

Some people say we should THANK DiC for bringing Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon here, even if they completely destroyed and mangled it.. Ok .. Whatever .. So, thank you DiC for:

* Turning Rei-chan into a complete [email protected]#%! who hates Usagi.
* Making the senshi sound like braindead Malibu mallrats
* Making Mamoru-san a complete jacka#$!
* Horrid lines like "You're meatloaf!" and "He's such a hunkmiester!"
* Naru-chan's awful Jersey voice ^^;

Thanks for nothing, DiC bastards. I can't believe some people.. :cry: Show your thanks to DiC, too. :twisted:

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Re: Thanks DiC. =P

Post by Stephen Victor » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:22 pm

I actually like the DiC dub in a way, not in that I think it's a well-done dub with talented acting and voices or anything but just that it's funny to watch, and interesting to know all the changes between it and the original Japanese version.

Anyway, here's my list:

* The complete and utter butchering of episodes 45&46. In the original was a very emotional and compelling episode, in the dub has been so butchered it's ONE episode as opposed to two, all references to death removed, very cheesy dialogue, much less emotion, much less meaning. On the other hand, it's hilarious to see how heavily edited the episode is, and all the cheesy dialogue (like the scene with Mars -- TAKE THAT, NEGA-TOAD!!! so cheesy)

* All the cheesy, embarrassing dialogue in the dub of episode 34.

* Lita's very grating and irritating dub voice.

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:38 pm

I wanna thank DiC for making Atermis sound like a 50 year old man, and making Luna sound British.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:07 pm

TheresaJ
Some people say we should THANK DiC for bringing Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon here, even if they completely destroyed and mangled it.. Ok .. Whatever ..
May I ask how you would have found out about Sailormoon without DIC then.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

TheresaJ
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TheresaJ » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:09 pm

peachvampiress wrote:May I ask how you would have found out about Sailormoon without DIC then.
That doesn't mean they had to completely tear the series to shreds does it? :cry:

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:14 pm

TheresaJ
That doesn't mean they had to completely tear the series to shreds does it?
Somethings had to change. I'm not saying I agree with everything they did though. But when you were younger and didn't know about the original, did you enjoy the show? I did. Then I, and many others, found out about the original later and bought some of the DVDs (which wouldn't have come to North America if it weren't for the dub).

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

TheresaJ
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TheresaJ » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:17 pm

peachvampiress wrote: Somethings had to change. I'm not saying I agree with everything they did though. But when you were younger and didn't know about the original, did you enjoy the show? I did. Then I, and many others, found out about the original later and bought some of the DVDs (which wouldn't have come to North America if it weren't for the dub).
That's very true, and yeah when I was a kid I did like the show and I guess I am thankful that it got to be put on the air here. ^^

Mercurius Twin
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Mercurius Twin » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:21 pm

Actually, when I was a kid, I hated Sailormoon. The only parts of it I liked were the characters themselves, which weren't mangled quite as badly as the rest of the show. Plus they were cute. ^_^;

Anyway, when I got older, it occurred to me that Sailormoon came from Japan, but I was not watching it in Japanese. So I went on the internet to see if there was a Japanese version, and found out exactly what DiC had done to it. I still hate the English Sailormoon, just as badly as when I was a kid.

I will admit, they made all this possible. But they mutilated Sailormoon when they didn't have to, and I still hold a grudge against them for that.
Three quotes I like:

"Smart. Beautiful. Mercurius Twin."
- The "Sloganize" website

"Stop that, you! You're an accessory."
-Tsukino Usagi (to Luna, ep. 6)

"Stop the clapping! YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!"
- Professor Frink

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:44 pm

peachvampiress wrote:TheresaJ
Some people say we should THANK DiC for bringing Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon here, even if they completely destroyed and mangled it.. Ok .. Whatever ..
The Internet? Fansubs? The same way people find about Sailor Stars today?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Ayane
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Ayane » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:57 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
peachvampiress wrote:TheresaJ
The Internet? Fansubs? The same way people find about Sailor Stars today?
Well, I think a lot of people were introduced to Sailor Moon through the dub before even searching for Sailor Stars...I'm not saying it's impossible to stumble upon; but more than likely, most Sailor Stars fans were first Sailor Moon fans.

HOWEVER. If someone was into manga in the early days, they may have checked that out first before seeing the dub. *shrug* Millions of possibilities.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:31 am

Actually, I would like to say thanks to DIC. Now don't get me wrong. I sincerely can't stand the stuff they did that messed up a perfectly good series and I'm currently not a big fan of the dub. However, it did introduce me to the world of anime and made me a huge fan of Sailor Moon. If I hadn't seen the dub, I would never have investigated the sub and found out how much I love other series too. so for helping me to expand my interests I do say thanks to DIC.

Another thing that we should be grateful for DIC for. If we didn't have the dub, then we wouldn't have tried to investigate the Japanese version. Then we wouldn't have had sites like SMU that look into the comparasions between the two. And there would have been no real need for the forum because we wouldn't be sharing the interests that we do. Hence we wouldn't be having this conversation. (Actually then we wouldn't have had sites like SOS that gave us stuff to complain about. That right there would have been really sad)

I'm just so grateful that we do have companies that bring us anime. Ok, not every company does justice to every series, but at least we can see them in some form. Good things can result from poor dubbing.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:56 am

If it weren't for the bad dub, this site (and forum) wouldn't be here! That and it's something funny to joke about.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:20 pm

I suppose I should thank DiC for helping to bring something like the SMU into existence because of their bad dubbing, and also for allowing there to be an official English subtitled release of the first two seasons of Sailor Moon.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:19 pm

While I don't like what DiC did to the show, they didn't really have much choice in the matter, at least not if they wanted to make any sort of profit. Because of there crapy dub of SM a lot more people got into anime and because of this growing audience it is possible now to bring over anime that is properly done. Even some that is only subed (Millinium Actess, for example). It is unfortunate that Sailor Moon had to be the sacrificial lamb, but if not for shows like Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball than some other poor anime would have been butchered.
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:02 pm

Thank you, Dic(ks), for

-Changing the characters' names. It doesn't at all make it difficult to communicate with people who have only seen the original, and it's no bother to see webpages that don't know what to call them.

-Making Zoisite female, and destroying his beautiful relationship with Kunzite. You could have shown some guts and told any protesters to wake up and join the modern era, but you gave us so much more.

-Cutting and stretching and altering every episode, and so making it impossible to put out a dual-audio DVD.

Thank you very much, and in recompense, here is a rabid wolverine that you may all insert down your pants.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:54 pm

I found these two interesting pieces of trivia on IMDB awhile ago and I think it fits here.
This cartoon was the first English adaptation of an anime series intended for young female audiences. It was also the first English adaptation of a "magical girl" (female character or characters using magic) anime.

According to some anime experts and industry statistics, this cartoon brought awareness to a larger and mainstream audience to anime which fueled the North American anime and manga industries. It also attracted a large number of females into anime, which for many years was exclusively a male hobby.
I don't mind it when people talk about what DIC and Cloverway did, both in a positive and negative way, but it gets kind of irritating when every Sailormoon board on the net has at least five threads of "Let's bash DIC and list everything they've fucked up on." It gets old. I like SMU because they talk about the changes in an intelligent and humurous way, sometimes even giving ideas of why something was changed. But it kind of bugs me when people just rant about how much DIC sucks and how nothing good came out of the English version.

Also, I think some fans need to see This. It's a list of DIC's shows. A lot of these shows I love and watched religiously when I was younger. But honestly, does it really suprise you that DIC produced an English version of Sailormoon that was the same quality (writting and dialoge wise) as their other shows? I can't say I really excpected them to suddenly make a faithfully translated, mature show that's completely unlike their other shows. Sailormoon turned out similar to DIC's other shows because that's their style. The corny dialogue, less violence, and uncontroversial relationships and content is their style. It's what they know.

I don't mind saying the occasional "What the fuck were they smoking when they thought this up" but I recognize that English Sailormoon did a lot for the world of anime. It helped make it more mainstream and showed girls that anime can be for us to. It even gave us DVDs that have more episodes on them then the Japanese DVDs (that and it gave us lots of merchandise like the role playing toys which I am a crack whore for).

Sailorasteroid
-Making Zoisite female, and destroying his beautiful relationship with Kunzite. You could have shown some guts and told any protesters to wake up and join the modern era, but you gave us so much more.
They most likely would have lost MONEY. MONEY, that thing that's important to businesses if they want to market and produce stuff. That and a children's show usually isn't the best place to make a political stand.
-Cutting and stretching and altering every episode, and so making it impossible to put out a dual-audio DVD.
Why would you care if the dub was on your subbed DVDs if you hate it?

~Suicide Kings

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:22 am

*hugs peachvampiress* Have I told you how much I appricate you?
You can say what I mean so much clearer than I can sometimes. Thank you.

It's true, DIC has given us many good shows in the past. I was looking at that list, half or better of my childhood viewing was from them. They try to do family friendly stuff so it's only natural that they would treat the dub that way. They did what they thought was best and for their track record, they did pretty well.

We complain a lot about DIC, but aren't we forgeting that there were other companies that wanted to handle Sailor Moon. Some were even going to change it more than DIC did. Is it really fair to blast DIC for trying to keep it in tact even if it meant some changes to the dub? (If you know details, I'd appriciate the help) In retrospect, these are fairly minor to what might have been.

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:48 pm

A little off topic but...

I clicked the DiC link... And it doesn't even list Sailor Moon on there. At least not from I could see.

Ayane
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Ayane » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:57 pm

SailorSpace wrote:A little off topic but...

I clicked the DiC link... And it doesn't even list Sailor Moon on there. At least not from I could see.
I noticed that too... strange...

ilovethesailorsenshi
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

i hate cartoon network even more

Post by ilovethesailorsenshi » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:05 am

i don't hate dic for completly destroying sailormoon... i hate cartoon network for killing of sailormoon for more shonen animes like the dragonball series and gundam. Even worse... i watched sailormoon hoping i would escape kamehameha waves and giant robot battles that made no sense, i got the point of war when i was seven and watched sailormoon to get that image out of my head. Being eight years old i wished for more of moon's innocence and... i was denied that.
... i dunno what to say, i''m sorry

(I''m more like hotaru... thus the avatar change)