Spam

Discussion of any of the other sections of the site can be discussed here, as well as anything regarding these forums themselves.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Spam

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:55 pm

I seem to notice that we're getting more spam posts these days, really obvious ones that are probably bots and look terrible both in subject and in post. So two questions:

1) Is there a reason we're being targetted more frequently? Did someone on SMU piss someone off who posted the url on spam-attracting sites? Or is it just a general proliferation of spam on Phpbb sites?

2) Can something be done to limit or stop it? Might it be better to delete the spam threads rather than just locking them? Or should we just put up with them and let the staff handle it as they have?(which is perfectly acceptable--the staff around here does so much for us as is)
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:48 pm

1. We're not sure, but it's probably the latter; some members (I won't name names unless they'd like to step forward themselves) have said they've found lists of spammers similar to what we have received on other sites.

2. Eh, deleting the threads won't stop anything, and since it's Dan's database, I'm hesitant to remove any topic unless the title is extremely explicit, which none of these are so far. Aside from this, we ARE considering a number of countermeasures, but again, I'll leave it to the admins to discuss them publicly if they so choose.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:20 pm

I used to run another forum (that granted, was hardly ever used, and so I gave it up) and I had the same exact problem. Not exactly sure why but yeah, it seems bots are signing up.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner since it was quite a while ago that I told Dan this was happening on my old forum.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:56 pm

We've been noticing the spammers too. For the record, registration has been closed for the time being until we can sort things out. =o

TBA

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:21 am

Good. Vikings have TERRIBLE singing voices.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Spam spam spam spam
Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:21 pm

Starscream wrote:1. We're not sure, but it's probably the latter; some members (I won't name names unless they'd like to step forward themselves) have said they've found lists of spammers similar to what we have received on other sites.
I haven't said anything yet but I saw one of your spammers with the exact same message on another forum.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.