The ever-going contest for the most points

Discussion of any of the other sections of the site can be discussed here, as well as anything regarding these forums themselves.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

The ever-going contest for the most points

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:00 pm

It's time for the (breif) explaination of the points system. From until a couple weeks ago or so until sometime when I feel like stopping, points will be awarded to users for various things, which include and are not limited to:

* Noticing small changes on the site or forums
* Little quiz questions
* Winning contests

When I decided to stop this game, prizes shall be awarded for 1st - 3rd places most likely. What they will be I am still working on figuring out excatly, however you should be pretty happy with whatever they end up being since I plan on doing bigger prizes since this will be going on for a while. At the very least, you'll be able to brag that you're the ultimate SMU fan. For the most part, there will be no hints for anything, so you're basically all on your own. So, start keeping a closer look around the place, and good luck to all into getting lots and lots of points. ^_^
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon May 02, 2005 12:06 am

In an effort to try to help dish out more points since (with one exception) no one has noticed any tweaks I've made to the site, we're going to have a little guessing game. ^_^ On what will probably happen Tuesday, me and one of my housemates will be doing a can and bottle deposit run, so here are things to guess for to earn some points:

1) How much money do you think we will get back? (20 points)
2) How many trips do you think we'll make between the deposit place and my house? (10 points)
3) How many bags (not cases, just bags) do you rhink we'll be bringing over? (10 points)

The closest guesses for either will win the points for that question, in the event of a tie everybody who guessed correctly or the same amount away will recieve those points. To shake things up, if someone were to get or be closest to all three, then a bonus 5 points will be awarded, giving said user 55 points. Now to help you out in your guesses, here are some key things to know to get you thinking:

* We moved into this place on June 1, 2003, and have yet to do a deposit run.
* In New York State, bottles and cans are worth 5 cents
* Four people live here, except for this calendar year (all of 2005) when there's only been three of us
* I did a bag count a few months back, and while I don't remember what the count was, there were at least 30 bags at that point
* My car is a 1997 Ford Tarus, and what will probably happen is that I'll drive me and Hugh up for the first run, then keep him there as I go back and forth refilling my car

I'll be sure to post the results of this as soon as I can after the mission is complete, which should hopefully be Tuesday. Have fun and good luck! ^_^
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon May 02, 2005 12:42 am

Are we talking garbage bags or grocery bags? Anyway, my guesses:

1) $36.60
2) 3
3) 7
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon May 02, 2005 1:40 am

Oh, should've been a bit more specific. They're good sized garbage bags. You should rethink your guesses though, since I already said above that a few months ago there were at least 30 bags already. Yeah, we've been really lazy with those things while living here. ^^;;;;;
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Mon May 02, 2005 9:44 am

Ok, here's my guesses based off this weekend.

On two garbage bags of cans (not plastic or glass, but aluminum cans), I had totalled $11, so I'll base my guesses off that total.

Total Amount - $275
Total Number of Trips - 10
Total Number of Bags - 50
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue May 03, 2005 9:31 pm

MarioKnight
Oh, should've been a bit more specific. They're good sized garbage bags. You should rethink your guesses though, since I already said above that a few months ago there were at least 30 bags already. Yeah, we've been really lazy with those things while living here. ^^;;;;;
Ahhh, okay. In that case:

1. $190
2. 8
3. 38

My new, official guesses :P

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu May 05, 2005 11:52 pm

Meh, I was hoping for more guesses, which is part of the reason why I waited a couple extra days to post the actual numbers, but since that's not happening, here's the final stats:

1) $139.30 (20 points to peach)
2) 5 carloads (10 points to peach)
3) 56 bags (10 points to Joe)

For anyone curious to see how all of this looks, here's pics of took when I moved all the bags out of the basement upstairs. The livingroom ones didn't come out too well, the kitchen ones came out fairly nicely.

Livingroom 1
Livingroom 2
Livingroom 3
Kitchen 1
Kitchen 2
Kitchen 3

^^;;;;;;;

Also, RattleMan has PMed me stuff that I have changed (or overlooked ^^;;; ) with the site in recent weeks, so he's earned 40 points (10 for each thing noticed). Since he PMed me that list and didn't post them publically, anyone else who notices these things can still get points for them. Have fun!
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sat May 21, 2005 11:48 pm

I just thought of an evil challenge which will net the winner of this 30 points if they can come up with the correct answer. If you noticed, moving the domain to a pay-host was not my first choice of how to deal with phobos being offline. You may recall that I said that I was planning to use space on a friend's pay server during these few weeks. Therefore, my challenge is to figure out what domain my friend uses. :twisted: A toughie (hence the high amount of points), but still possible nonetheless. All I'll say to help out is to think creatively, obviously you won't find this info on the domain at all, and that you should poke around the various stuff in my homepage and/or sig. Have fun. ^_^
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun May 22, 2005 12:19 am

MarioKnight wrote:I just thought of an evil challenge which will net the winner of this 30 points if they can come up with the correct answer. If you noticed, moving the domain to a pay-host was not my first choice of how to deal with phobos being offline. You may recall that I said that I was planning to use space on a friend's pay server during these few weeks. Therefore, my challenge is to figure out what domain my friend uses. :twisted: A toughie (hence the high amount of points), but still possible nonetheless. All I'll say to help out is to think creatively, obviously you won't find this info on the domain at all, and that you should poke around the various stuff in my homepage and/or sig. Have fun. ^_^
*blink* LiquidWeb?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Sun May 22, 2005 12:40 am

Tiff wrote:
MarioKnight wrote:I just thought of an evil challenge which will net the winner of this 30 points if they can come up with the correct answer. If you noticed, moving the domain to a pay-host was not my first choice of how to deal with phobos being offline. You may recall that I said that I was planning to use space on a friend's pay server during these few weeks. Therefore, my challenge is to figure out what domain my friend uses. :twisted: A toughie (hence the high amount of points), but still possible nonetheless. All I'll say to help out is to think creatively, obviously you won't find this info on the domain at all, and that you should poke around the various stuff in my homepage and/or sig. Have fun. ^_^
*blink* LiquidWeb?
I think that's the current one

EDIT: While searching, I found a DNS comments page that had Dan's comment on it, sent in early 1998.

Also, Dan, it looks like all subdomains for SMU are broken. So is FightingMongooses.
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[SMU] [Sonic-CulT] [Sonic Classic] [SoaH]
[SWS2B] [Zophar's] [DaizenshuuEX]
[My LiveJournal]

~ RattleMan's SMU Signature ~
~ April 10th, 2005 ~

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun May 22, 2005 7:35 am

LiquidWeb is the host I am using now while I have phobos packed away in storage, yes. And I am aware of the phobos subdomain and Fighting Mongooses being broken, phobos I saw no point in having its home site up if the server isn't up itself, and since none of my friends have really used the Fighting Mongooses site ( >.< ) I saw no point in keeping that up for these few weeks. I want to see if anyone can figure out the domain that my friend owns that this site was going to be put on. RattleMan, you're thinking TOO creatively, if you're pulling up things I typed up years ago (I don't even remember anything that I typed up back in 1998 ^^;; ). Remember my little help, you don't even have to go to search engines or anything, use my sig links or my home page to help get to the right things to find my friend and a link to his domain in his profile. Maybe that will help a tad more.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Sun May 22, 2005 12:41 pm

Could it be...superimpression.net?
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[My LiveJournal]

~ April 10th, 2005 ~

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun May 22, 2005 4:47 pm

Nope, good try though, I like the way you're thinking.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Thu May 26, 2005 1:03 am

Wait...could it be...timelesswings.net?

BTW, nice new av Dan =P
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[My LiveJournal]

~ April 10th, 2005 ~

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri May 27, 2005 5:54 pm

Nope, but here's a couple small hints. It's not a domain of anyone on these forums (both of your guesses have been Tempest's and Starscream/Ni-ban Neko's respectively), and it's someone who I know and hang out with fairly often IRL which should give you a good idea about location, at least narrowing it down to NY state. You're getting the right idea it seems, but now it seems like you're focusing on one certain place and if I'm right, then you're looking at the wrong one. Anyone else please try, I don't want to disclude anyone from this. Honestly, looking at my sig, this should only take 2 clicks of the mouse. ^_^

Also, since this has sparked my curosity, what did you find that I wrote in 1998? I didn't really make myself well known on the net until mid-late 1999 so I'm curious as to what kind of stuff I have from before then floating on the net.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Sat May 28, 2005 12:13 am

(NOTE: See EDIT 3 below after viewing this paragraph) One more thing I noticed (for the noticing changes made to the site): You added a Warriors of Legend banner on the front page of SMU (and it looks like it's a randomly generated image using PHP).

I can't seem to find it even with all those hints ;_; I looked on DDRecall...It looks like there's one person that lives in Oswego who could be your friend here: "generalfenix", but I don't think he has a domain...

EDIT: Wait, it's NY STATE? Damnit, I could have sworn that wasn't there before

EDIT 2: I also looked thru all your friends on DDRecall, and I also could have sworn that none of them had any applicable data, so NameGoesHere might be right...

EDIT 3: Gah, I just noticed that you mentioned that banner in your update...;_;
Last edited by RattleMan on Sat May 28, 2005 2:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[My LiveJournal]

~ April 10th, 2005 ~

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat May 28, 2005 1:44 am

Is it Baramo.net? Syracuse isn't that far from Oswego, so it's possible that you hang out with him IRL... and you mention a Jason in your GreatestJournal. You are also a member of the forum at Baramo.net, so... maybe?
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sat May 28, 2005 8:46 am

And NameGoesHere get's the points! I get around CNY, especially in the areas close to Syracuse, and I usually go to the mall there on my days off to play DDR there and that's where I hang out with Jason sometimes. He and a couple other friends run that site, though he's the main guy behind it and owns the domain.

Edit after taking a shower: Also, any WoL stuff added to the site wouldn't have counted for points anyways, since it was basically a given once the ok was made to start promoting the book and site.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:50 am

I don't know if this is another of your little hidden things we're supposed to find or if it's a real glitch, but all of the url links have been changed to e-mail links (if that makes any sense >_>)

Example:

this is supposed to be a link

~Suicide Kings

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:47 am

Nah, my hidden stuff wouldn't be so blatently easy. =P While I've done a few small things on the site (and I think forums too), nothing will be that easy.

Actually, I did a forum upgrade earlier today (technically yesterday I guess) and accidentally deleted a couple lines of code in a file I shouldn't have. All I've got to do is add those in. But I have to be at my PC to see the older file to put those lines back in. Quick fix, will be done before 10AM before I leave for work. I just made a stupid mistake and didn't catch it until after I left my place. ^^;;;
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP