Discussion of any of the other sections of the site can be discussed here, as well as anything regarding these forums themselves.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:43 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:I was wondering if we can get another increase to the size of avatars? Not in terms of size, but filesize. Most forums allow signifigantly larger files as avatars.

Who, if anyone, would have any problems increasing the max filesize limit from 10 kb to say... 50 kb?
I don't understand what kind of picture file you're thinking about using that would require 50kb for a 100x100 image... the only file types allowed for avatars are .gif and .jpeg. Even with the bare minimum of compression a .jpeg wont come close to 50kb (more like 15kb), and the only reason a .gif would, is if it was animated. Even a 100x100 .bmp at 16 million colors (24 BPP) only takes up about 30kb.

(I created several different files on my computer to test my numbers, but they could be a bit off, especially with the way different compression works.)

The only way 50kb would be needed is if the avatars were animated, and I am sure there are plenty of forum members that would object to that, me included. Animated avatars are distracting, especially in a forum where people are trying to read. Much like those annoying flashing banner ads. And I don't know about anyone else's service, but my dialup loads at about 4.5kbps on average, which is why I love the fact that this forum does not allow pictures in signatures or overly large avatars. (Not that any forum policy should reflect my needs alone, but I don't think that I am the only dialup user here. I would not dispute the decision to increase file sizes, as this is not my forum, nor my server, but I wouldn't be happy about it, either.)

Could you please clarify to me why you would want a 50kb avatar? Because I don't really get it.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:26 am

Well, I myself think that maybe even a 20kb limit would be quite enough, and animation wouldn't be that much needed... though a smaller than 100x100 avatar that would respect the filesize limit wouldn't bother me if it was animated.

50 kb would be too much IMO. Even my 100x100 JPG avatar don't go past 30 (I think) and when I try Irfranview to reduce the filesize, I can go to around 20 kB without reducing the quality.

n_n
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:39 am

I think it's a good idea lately I found some really nice pictures that I want to use for my avatar.
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:26 pm

50's a bit much, I think, too. 10 suits me just fine, and is actually a lot MORE than I usually need (only 3 or 4 of my avs are bigger than 6KBs...I compress the HELL out of them!). If you REALLY think you need to use those pictures and they're too big, even after making them 100X100, then a program like IrfanView will help.
As for animated avatars...I could go either way on that. I don't particularly *like* them, but if they were small enough, I could deal with it. The problem would be, tho, if they were allowed, EVERYONE would get one, and that would just be distracting. But I don't think that's something worth debating about, as *all* the admins are against them.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:51 pm

It's not that we don't like animated avatars. Some people have older computers and slower connections, and animated avatars (especially multiple ones on one page) can actually crash the browser, or freeze up the computer. It's simply not necessary to have them, and it can cause problems for some people.

As for increasing the file size...I wouldn't mind mayb increasing it to 15 or 20...but no bigger than 20. We'll have to discuss that, and see what we decide. But 50 is ridiculous. There's no need for that.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:07 pm

I would also not object to small file size increase. Not too long ago, I tried to change my avatar, but the one I wanted to use was a smidge to big to use here.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:27 am

With some of the arguements seen here and elsewhere, we've discussed increasing the filesize. Now everyone has a 30K limit instead of a 10. Enjoy! ^_^
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:44 am

Good! This is a really good filesize to work with.

I've already decided on my next avatar anyway... Doubt it goes up to 30, but hey :P ...
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:52 am

I shall change my avatar to celebrate! ^_^

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:02 pm

MarioKnight wrote:With some of the arguements seen here and elsewhere, we've discussed increasing the filesize. Now everyone has a 30K limit instead of a 10. Enjoy! ^_^
YAY MY SUGGESTION WORKED

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU <3333
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Yay! Thanks. I've got avatars that were too big before that I can use now.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings