TokyoPop and Geneon still try (7/24/07 & 7/25/07)

When news is posted to the site, a thread will be created here for discussion on that news item.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

TokyoPop and Geneon still try (7/24/07 & 7/25/07)

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:10 am

http://www.smuncensored.com/news.php?id=76

Thanks to Genvid for the heads up on this tidbit. At Otakon this weekend, when asked of the possibility of the PGSM manga being brought over to the US, TokyoPop explained that they want to bring it over, however they are still attempting to iron out the licensing and continue to actively persue it. If you watch the video on TokyoPop's panel that's on ANN and skip to the 28 minute mark, you can see the the Q&A take place for it.

Granted, it's really not much new news since the American licenses were pulled years ago, however it is nice to hear that licenses are still being sought after. Even nicer is that since DiC is out of the picture, it can be re-translated using the actual names and a more accurate translation. Hopefully this can be ironed out and we can finally see some new Sailor Moon stuff over here again.
Last edited by MarioKnight on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:00 am

The thought of new Sailor Moon merchandise makes me all giddy and warm on the inside. xD If the mangas are brought over, I can't wait!!!
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by sailor53 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:18 am

I hope that they are able to get the rights to the manga again. It would be nice to have it unflipped and translated properly. Plus the new covers are gorgeous.
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:10 pm

How nice. A re-release of the manga in English would be the perfect thing to re-invigorate the fan-base. Glad to know a company is pushing for it. Even though Toei has been acting strangely with the Sailor Moon licenses for the past few years, if you think about it, a re-release of the manga is eventually inevitable.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Yay! I've got the first 11 volumes of PGSM in Japanese and won't replace them, but I missed out on the two bonus volumes. It'd be great to have those. If they do translate them, I hope they're able to use the stickers to.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 pm

>_> use BSSM not PGSM please >_>

PGSM makes me think of the live action version....and they're quite different things ^^

*was totally confused*

TBA

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:43 pm

http://www.smuncensored.com/news.php?id=77

Thanks to Dom for the heads up on this tip, it looks like that TokyoPop isn't the only one actively pursuing Sailor Moon licenses for America. According to Anime on DVD's con report on Geneon's Anime Central panel, the Geneon rep said that Toei has a lockdown of all Sailor Moon licenses, but when that changes they would be interested in them.

So for whatever reason, Toei is still keeping a lockdown on everything Sailor Moon on this side of the ocean. But we can have some relief knowing that once this changes, both the manga and the anime are being sought after, so it won't be too long of a wait to see new products. The wait is all Toei, hopefully they'll change things, but only time will tell.
Last edited by MarioKnight on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP

Arius
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Arius » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:54 pm

I actually found that on the Wikipedia page of Sailor moon (English adaptations) and could you Refer to me as Dom please?

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Arius wrote:I actually found that on the Wikipedia page of Sailor moon (English adaptations) and could you Refer to me as Dom please?
Sure thing, done in both this thread and the article on the site.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Arius
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Arius » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks, but we all can speculate why the Sm licenses are hard to obtain. DiC & Cloverway/Optimum's Treatment may have been the cause.

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Anyone think that Toei is trying to pull a "Disney" with SM?

For those of you that don't know what I'm referring to:

Disney routinely removes their movies from store shelves for a period of time (I think its around 5-8 years, but don't quote me on that). This: 1) gets people buying other new properties, and 2) builds up demand for their older properties, so when they're rereleased people rush to buy them without thinking.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Arius
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Arius » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:05 pm

that or I remember Tokyopop saying that theres some turbulence from Naoko Takeuchi and the publisher. maybe that's what happening with Toei and Naoko Takeuchi.

koutesu
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by koutesu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:33 pm

I hope we eventually do see more Sailor Moon releases in the future. It would be nice to have the manga back again. If Toei does decide to grant licensing again, I hope they'll implement policies like Studio Ghibli did (that was amazing since Disney agreed to the "no cuts" policy). I would love to see Sailorstars get an official release here so we can retire all of our fansubs. I hope that least those 2 properties can see proper releases here.

As unlikely as this is, I would like to see a subtitled release for PGSM and Sera Myu. PGSM offered a great year long show using the familiar Dark Kingdom story, yet it still retained manga elements while adding to it. And Sera Myu did well enough to stand alone without the manga and anime after the winter of '96 (when the anime and manga ended).

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:08 am

Awesometastic.

I'm going to be an optimist on this and hope for a release of the manga, and maybe a higher-quality release of the first two seasons. As far as Stars goes... I'm going to keep my mouth shut. There is a danger of me becoming too optimistic... ^^;

Question: Does TokyoPop usually keep all the original sound-effects, or do they edit them? I only have one TokyoPop manga and it is unedited, but I don't know if that's the norm or not.
koutesu wrote:As unlikely as this is, I would like to see a subtitled release for PGSM and Sera Myu. PGSM offered a great year long show using the familiar Dark Kingdom story, yet it still retained manga elements while adding to it. And Sera Myu did well enough to stand alone without the manga and anime after the winter of '96 (when the anime and manga ended).

If we got subbed Sera Myu, I would literally squeal with glee (frightening as the thought is). PGSM would be fun, too... but OMG!Myu. XD;;
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

koutesu
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by koutesu » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:38 am

NameGoesHere wrote:If we got subbed Sera Myu, I would literally squeal with glee (frightening as the thought is). PGSM would be fun, too... but OMG!Myu. XD;;
You can at least get Ken Yuen's fansubs (www.zap.to/cruelangel). He has Gaiden, S, SuperS, SuperS K, Stars K, Eien K, Eien K Senshuuraku, Shin Densetsu, Kaguya, Last Dracul (part 1of 3), Forest of Transylvania (part 2 of 3), Death Vulcan (part 3 of 3), Black Lady, and 10th Anniversary Festival. He also has many fankansha event/bonus/guide videos, too.

If you go to www.animedivxonline.com and go to the superheroes DVD list, they have PGSM. The fansub for Special Act includes a fansub of the Coming of Princess Kakyuu musical (if you love the guy in my avatar, he's in that one).

You'll have to search You Tube, but I know they have some musical stuff that was posted and there are bit torrents out there.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:19 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:Question: Does TokyoPop usually keep all the original sound-effects, or do they edit them? I only have one TokyoPop manga and it is unedited, but I don't know if that's the norm or not.
In my experience the answer is yes to all their manga. Even the manhwa retains the Korean sound effects. If it's one of their OELs then those are the only ones I've found that still had the English sound-effects.

Regarding the immediate topic I'm also going to hold out hope that these all end up re-licensed. If they redo SMR, I'll probably invest in that one (partially because of the missing episode and partially because one of my discs from my ADV set got ruined after some bad cleaning advice from my brother) and I might invest in a (legal) copy of Sailor Stars.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Arius
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Arius » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:07 pm

I hope they'll implement policies like Studio Ghibli did (that was amazing since Disney agreed to the "no cuts" policy).
I don't think ANY company other than Studio Ghibli puts that onto it's licenses. But that was done by Mizaki as Naussica was screwed with to no end to where the plot wasn't the same.

But i do hope Tokyopop does get the SM license for the manga. (PGSM and Codename: Sailor V reprint)[/quote]

Lunawisper Sayles
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Lunawisper Sayles » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:54 am

Yay! I never got to see the Manga...Now's my chance!

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:02 pm

Man if they got a Code Name Sailor V reprint done id lose it seriously. Ive wanted to get my hands on that since I read it online at Alex's website. I thought I loved Minako's character from the Sailor Moon series but in her own it was just magical and I didnt even have the pictures I just read the words. Sigh I hope they can get their hands on the rights I really need to rebuy the manga anyway *lost two books due to a toddler mishap* sigh and trying to find them all on ebay has been a pain in the rear. I can find the full set in Japanesee which is great if I was just collecting them, but I love being able to pull them down and read them to.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....