Episode 1/whole series (all SM)

Discuss the content of the site's comparisons here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

smfan423
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Episode 1/whole series (all SM)

Post by smfan423 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:22 am

Theory on why they changed some of the action names (attacks, transformations, etc.).

I believe this was an alteration on the part of the writers or "producers" to make the action names sound cooler.

["Moon Prism Power, Make Up!" = "Moon Prism Power"]

Probably considered too wordy.

["Moon Tiara Action" = "Moon Tiara Magic"]

Action sounds a bit boring and from the stand point of a game modder, is reminiscent of creating all those boring cause and effect triggers (but this is of no consequence).

Magic, on the other hands, holds a far more interesting and mysterious conotation to it.

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Re: Episode 1/whole series (all SM)

Post by Gamer8585 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:35 pm

smfan423 wrote:Theory on why they changed some of the action names (attacks, transformations, etc.).

I believe this was an alteration on the part of the writers or "producers" to make the action names sound cooler.

["Moon Prism Power, Make Up!" = "Moon Prism Power"]

Probably considered too wordy.

["Moon Tiara Action" = "Moon Tiara Magic"]

Action sounds a bit boring and from the stand point of a game modder, is reminiscent of creating all those boring cause and effect triggers (but this is of no consequence).

Magic, on the other hands, holds a far more interesting and mysterious conotation to it.
I think its just becasue DIC is one letter short of profound self truth.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:38 am

I always figured DIC got rid of the makeup part because it was too "girly" and they secretly wanted to have some guys watching it as well as girls.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

smfan423
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by smfan423 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:29 pm

Riiiight.

Well, maybe, but I, personally, doubt it.

Considering how much Dic seemed to want to make the show for young girls.
Last edited by smfan423 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:47 pm

smfan423 wrote:Riiiight.

Well, maybe, but I doubt that.
Was that sarcasm really necessary? He was giving his opinion, you know, you should be greatful.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:05 pm

smfan423, Sailormars Obsessed fan's opinion was NOT that different from yours. You stated the "make up" was removed to make the phrase sound "cooler". SOF's suggested it was removed to appeal more to boys. How is that much different? Last I checked, young boys are all about "cool", and so SOF's suggestion goes along the same line as yours.

There's no need to be sarcastic. What SOF said makes sense. In US culture, "make up" generally refers to lipsticks, eyeshadows, and blush. The Japanese use the term "make up" to mean "transform." So it wouldn't have made much sense nor would it have appealed to many people to say "Make up" after the phrase in the dub.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Man if I could just rip apart your opinions...

but anyway, I always figured they modernized it. For example, Dic used alot of special effects along the lines of graphics in the 1st season to make it more apealing to young children. I can see them doing the same for words and phrases.

As for the Moon Tiara Action deal. Action sounds retarded when used in the english language. She isn't filming a movie here... I personally don't think Magic was the best replacement word but since it was Dic and since they were sorta anti-violent I'll let them have it.

smfan423
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by smfan423 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:38 pm

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough to what I was replying to.

I doubted Dic actually "secretly wanted guys" to watch the show what with how I seem to remember them advertising it back in the mid-90s.
Last edited by smfan423 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:57 pm

smfan423 wrote:Sorry, I wasn't specific enough to what I was replying to. I doubted Dic would actually secretly want guys watching the show what with how I seem to remember them advertising it back in the mid-90s.
..What do the mid-90s have to do with anything?! Guys watched anime in the mid-90s. Remember Dragon Ball Z? Hell, my boyfriend was watching it and that's how we met. A lot of the guys on SMU were watching it back then, when it first came out.

Your argument doesn't make any sense.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:04 pm

I think he's trying to say that the way the advertisement was set up it looked more like it was aimed for young girls and not boys.

I believe he was only stating that he saw the ads in the mid-90s.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Panda wrote:I think he's trying to say that the way the advertisement was set up it looked more like it was aimed for young girls and not boys.

I believe he was only stating that he saw the ads in the mid-90s.
*Shrugs* I'd argue that. I say it was aimed at both. They aired it during toonami, a block primarily aimed at boys, and it was advertised alongside shows like DBZ and Reboot.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:52 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree. I knew several guys that loved the show (and would compare it to DBZ andf the likes, usually stating that SM was better)

smfan423
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by smfan423 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:03 pm

When I say mid-90s I mean 1995 when it firsted premiered in the US and I thought from the ads that it was a girly show--never saw it before the S season.

Kali
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kali » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:19 pm

If you look at the DiC promo reel @ Toonami Digital Arsenal (http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/download/sailormoon.php) it makes explicit reference to marketing the series towards boys, too.

smfan423
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by smfan423 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:47 pm

This was actually before Toonami even existed--with that name I mean.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:52 pm

smfan423 wrote:This was actually before Toonami even existed--with that name I mean.
That doesn't matter. The point remains that it was being attempted to market the show toward both sexes.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:24 am

I think Dic changed the attack names because to be honest the original attack names didn't really make all that sense. I mean, they had attack names like "Shine Aqua Illusion"? I didn't see any illusions in that attack. And what exactly is Usagi escalating in "Moon Healing Escalation"? And I still think Takeuchi-san must've been on crack when she came up with "Star Gentle UTERUS!" So, I think Dic changed the attack names to more generic names like Moon Tiara Magic so that they would make more logical sense to their kid-friendly American audience who might not be used to bizarre attack names that are found in most anime.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:23 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:And I still think Takeuchi-san must've been on crack when she came up with "Star Gentle UTERUS!"
You know... I've always wondered how DiC or Cloverway would have handled that one, if Stars would have been dubbed.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 am

In the English versions of the Stars Manga it was changed (I believe) to Star Gentle Raindrop, so they might have called it that.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Elanorea
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Elanorea » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:32 pm

It was Star Gentle Creator, actually. It doesn't sound very good, but at least it's better than Star Gentle Uterus (WTF?).